The Wells Lamont 1130s

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The Wells Lamont 1130s

Post by Ryusui »

Hey guys, quick and very urgent question.
I found what I think is a pair of 1130s (I checked Lowes...I checked Wal-Mart...I checked Home Depot...I even checked Ace Hardware...would you believe I found them at a SAFEWAY of all places??? :shock: ) but when looking at the Indy Gear info on gloves, it doesn't seem like there's a picture of 1130s. Do the 1130s, unlike the 23s, have that extra strip of leather across the palm?

Just want to make sure so I can buy a pair before they're gone! :lol:
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I have 1130's I got from Wal-Mart last year and they don't have an extra strip across the palm.

I hope this helps!

I.J.
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

Noooooooo! :(
So then do you think there might be alternate versions, or maybe this isn't really an 1130?
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Not to be too elementary but for me, I just checked the tag on the glove and it said 1130 and then I tried on the different sizes until I figured large was the size for me.

If you think there may have been a style change, you could always call their toll-free number and ask them (1-800-323-2830) or you can perhaps track it down at http://www.wellslamont.com/index.tpl

Let us know how it works out. If there has been a styling change, I would think they'd change the number and discontinue the old (like the 1128s) but let us know just in case.

Happy hunting!

Indy
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I know they make the 1130's in a regular version and a grips version. The only difference between the two versions is the way the thumb is attached. The grips if I recall is the more correct of the two.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: The Wells Lamont 1130s

Post by Pyroxene »

Ryusui wrote: Do the 1130s, unlike the 23s, have that extra strip of leather across the palm?
I too have observed this leather strip across the palm. I purchased a pair of 1130's at Home Depot about 1 year ago. They matched an unidentified pair of yellow gloves I had from working many years ago. I went back to Home Depot and could not locate those exact gloves.

It appears that the Grips line of gloves is a change in construction. It might be possible to order directly from W&L. However, all the new gloves on the shelves I have seen have this new design. More to follow....
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

So then I might have to go to the source for the correct, non-grip version?

Man, and here I thought I had lucked out. :?
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Pyroxene wrote:
Ryusui wrote: Do the 1130s, unlike the 23s, have that extra strip of leather across the palm?
It might be possible to order directly from W&L. However, all the new gloves on the shelves I have seen have this new design. More to follow....
When I called W & L about six months ago, the saleswoman actually told me, before I placed my order, that I should go to my local Wal-Mart and I could save about 40%. She was right. I paid less than $10 instead of $17 plus shipping and handling. Now, that's customer service! However, if your local merchants don't have the style for which you are looking, then you may have to resort to the Classifieds here at COW or ordering from W & L directly.
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

Well that jerks it...

Hawaii *****. :? Honestly, you'd think finding at least the simplest thing would be easy here...even the simple things are often hard to find.

Joe, I do have to say, customer service of that caliber is very rare indeed. Although it's not much, I feel special recognition is in order for that particular rep you spoke with.

YAY! YOU GO! :D

So...anyone wanna pick up a pair for me? :lol:
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I went back to the Wal-Mart and they did not have garden variety or work gloves. The associate didn't know when they were getting more except to say that it would definitely be in the Spring which, feels like now here in the Deep South.

I.J.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Ryusui,
Does Hawaii have Walmarts? just curious. And if anyone here lives in Alaska, I'm curious if they have Walmarts too.
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

Oh yea, we do. Maui just got one a little more than a year ago, but Oahu has had a few for quite some time. I think the Big Island has one or two, but I think that's it.

We just don't have much IN them. :?
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

Ok, ok...I think maybe THIS time, I found them!
But I found two versions. One is yellowish, the other white. Both have a yellow trim around the wrist area.
The site says the correct color of the 1123s were yellowish-tan. But the image seems to be kinda white under all that grit.

What has everyone been buying?
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I buy the 1130's at my local Wal-Mart. I have many pair and use them for everything around the house, not just Indy. However, I have also found a very similar type of glove made by Stanley. It's model number 5622, a goatskin glove, and model number 5626, a deerskin glove. You need to trim of a few tags (a razor blade will work fine) and then you are set. They are VERY close in appearance to the WL 1130's, but they are more expensive (I bought a pair of 5622's for $14 at Home Depot last week). However, being goat and deer they are much tougher. If you can't find 1130's, these might be a good substitute.

Until later,

Band Director Jones
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

anyone have a costco near them?

There's a WL gloves in a 3 pack for a good price.
not sure if they're the right ones.

I would have to go back and check again.
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

I had done a post a few weeks ago on finding the Stanleys as an alternative Glove, then OBIKenny found some WL1130's around the block from my house at the Raley's Grocery store.
All the stores in town got rid of their Wells-Lamont gloves almost over night.
Everyone now carries Stanley or some other brand I've never heard of.

D6
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

So....would they be yellow...or white? :P
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

Well I checked pix before I bought and I saw yellow so that's what I got.

The collage of pix someone posted about opening a Ravens Bar has a shot of Indy holding a gun and you can see the gloves he's wearing.

D6
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Pyroxene wrote: More to follow....
Here are the new gloves I purchased. As you can see, the thumb piece is a seperate piece that is sewn to glove. The package was marked model 1130.

Here are the other gloves I have. This pair I bought at Lowe's Hardware store. I have used these glove for horse riding and working at a friend's ranch.

These gloves I use when working in the yard or around the house. I found them while working at Sherwin-Williams paint store many years ago before IndyGear. They were pretty used when I found them.

Cheers,
Pyr.