Your Favorite Jacket Maker?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Please choose your favorite jacket maker and explain your choice.

Todd's Costumes
10%
Wested
62%
U.S. Wings
5%
Magnoli Clothiers
4%
Gibson & Barnes (formerly Flightsuits)
16%
Other
3%

Total votes: 77

bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Your Favorite Jacket Maker?

Post by bigrex »

Just wondering about opinions.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

So far it's Wested by a landslide!!! :D
LordxHelmetx
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LordxHelmetx »

I hate to say it, but so far i gotta say wested. I finally got my jacket a few weeks ago and god #### do I love it!!!!!! it really is fantastic, but... i see so many problems with other jackets by Wested, and I had a problem with mine when i first got it, so i sent it back. My buddy Chev did the same thing and even now he's not 100% satisfied. So i say Wested because I don't know any better, but I know that I will not be buying a wested if I get another jacket, maybe US wings or another brand.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

We are lucky to have so many great options available these days.

So far I only have one Indy jacket and it's a Wested. (My vote reflects this)

I hope to have others as my collection grows over the years, but I figured I'd start with one of Peters jackets. I love the history/pedigree behind the Wested.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

So far I've owned 8 Indy style jackets from Wested, Schott, Cooper and Todd. I voted for Todd, because out of all those jackets, my Standard remains the only one I'm perfectly happy with. If I was in the market for a new jacket now, I might try one of Magnoli's-- his recent offerings look absolutely spectacular.

Jack
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Out of all the jackets I have had, I perfer my Wested's beyond all! Fit is great and they hold up! Occasional issues with stiching, but minor compared to the over all quality! W>
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I've only owned a Wested, but I have handled and spent time with a Todd's - I distressed one for another member here (who was very happy with the distressing I did). I did vote for Wested though. Having handled the Todd's jacket, I think it's just not heavy enough for me. I felt like I was distressing a piece of screen accurate tissue paper! I like my jackets to have a little weight to them, while not being too heavy. I think the weight of the Wested lamb is perfect for me, and it also has great pedigree. Even if customer service is iffy... I'd order from them in a jiffy! (Who else ends theirs with a rhyme?! Yeah!!)

Shane
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Wested is the real thing! Sorry Belstaff & Nowak... :D :D :lol:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

McFly wrote: Even if customer service is iffy... I'd order from them in a jiffy!
That's funny, but unfortunately, it also accurately describes how many Indy fans seem to feel about Wested-- and is probably the main reason why the level of customer service we get from them never improves.

Personally, from my own experience, they are too much of a crapshoot for me to risk ordering from again.

To be fair, perhaps now that they have stopped catering to the more extreme custom demands, there will be fewer overall service problems.

Jack
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I voted Todd's because like most, that is what I am familiar with, my standard fits almost like a custom job. I've been debating what jacket to get for a somewhat more durable everyday use jacket lately though. I first ordered a US Wings jacket and had a less than desirable experience there in filling my order and getting the correct sizing. I've contemplated a Wested Novapelle, but am now kind of leaning toward a Todd's custom in cowhide. I think the novapelle would be great but I am leery about having the Wested fit funny based on some of the threads I've looked at on the forum. So, if I tell Todd's the custom can be similar to the large standard with just a few alterations, I think I'm a lot more safe there as far as getting what I want is concerned. The downside is the money I would shell out.
Last edited by bigrex on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

WESTED ALL THE WAY, BABY!!!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

eazybox wrote:
McFly wrote: Even if customer service is iffy... I'd order from them in a jiffy!
That's funny, but unfortunately, it also accurately describes how many Indy fans seem to feel about Wested-- and is probably the main reason why the level of customer service we get from them never improves.

Personally, from my own experience, they are too much of a crapshoot for me to risk ordering from again.

To be fair, perhaps now that they have stopped catering to the more extreme custom demands, there will be fewer overall service problems.

Jack
I agree, Jack. Even setting aside all the special requests (which I never thought was a great idea, anyway), there are issues that need addressing. Customer service is not just about being nice, and proper service goes a long way with me.

That said, I saw your interest in Magnoli jackets. I'm the first on the poll to vote his as my favorite. You get all the good aspects of buying most of the other jacket offerings, and impeccable service. Magnoli's leather garment information form leaves little room for sizing errors, and the workmanship is the best I've seen in a long time.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Magnoli all the way.

if you want the details you see on the film jacket there is only one to get it from.

bests
Holt
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Just based on the HJ I bought from Magnoli a few months back, I've been thinking about getting one of his jackets-- and the recent reviews have tempted me even more-- but hearing about those detailed sizing forms REALLY has me interested now. Thanks for the info, Chewie!

Jack
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

I have owned two Westeds. Admittedly I have no experience with the other makers, but as happy as I am with Wested, I see no reason to try another. :) :tup:

Ron
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

Has to be Flight Jackets, for the quality and finish of the product.
Steve :D
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

I voted Wested (not really fair as I don't know much about the others) as it just 'feels' like the Raiders jacket. Mine's starting to break in nicely now too 8)

Alex
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

G&B for me!! I own one of the US Wings $100 deals, and it's great for the money. I have also worn and handled Wested jackets, but my Seal Brown Expedition is the holy grail of my gear. It's strength & durability are a true testament to the Indy spirit.
Indy_Mic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Mic »

I'll vote when there is an option for a Reliable jacket that includes a number of Screen-Accurate elements in extended sizes (inc TALL) for well under $500US. Until then...Wested Baby!