Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Jarmyr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Stitches coming loose

Post by Indiana Jarmyr »

Hello everyone.

I'm sorry, I know this isn't a question related to the Indy jacket, but it is related to another jacket made by wested.
Normally I would ask them directly, but as it is friday, I figure I wouldn't get an answer until monday (if ever, if my experiance is anything to go by).

I received my War of the world jacket today, and I was very happy with it until I noticed that a one of the shoulder seams was coming loose (see the photo at the bottom of this post).

My question is, should I save myself the hassle and just send it back and let Wested fix it for me, or do you guys think it could be done in a nice way by a local tailor?
I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm guessing the whole seam will be ruined eventually if it isn't done properly.

Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

THat is why I will never purchase a Wested again. I had many seems pop on my 6 moth old IJ LC. It is way too much of a hassle to pay to have it shipped back over the pond and the long wait. I will now only purchase from G&B who has a life time stitch gurantee and only takes a short time to get it fixed.

Sorry for your luck. Maybe Peter will pay shipping both ways?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Any local shoemaker/tailor can fix that for $20.00 no problems.
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

It's terrible to have to deal with issues like stitching etc, but this is just another example of Wested quality. You pay top dollar for the original jacket but you end up with a product that lacks quality. Almost like driving a high end sports car thats held together with scotch tape. This has always been a problem from the time these jackets were first made available to the public and still an issue to date. Maybe it's time to request more attention to quality and durability as compared to just screen accuracy.

Best regards,
Indiana 7
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

INDIANA_7 wrote:Maybe it's time to request more attention to quality and durability as compared to just screen accuracy.

Best regards,
Indiana 7
All you'll get in response is someone who says they "dont have the time" to deal with such things.
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

INDIANA_7 wrote:It's terrible to have to deal with issues like stitching etc, but this is just another example of Wested quality. You pay top dollar for the original jacket but you end up with a product that lacks quality. Almost like driving a high end sports car thats held together with scotch tape. This has always been a problem from the time these jackets were first made available to the public and still an issue to date. Maybe it's time to request more attention to quality and durability as compared to just screen accuracy.

Best regards,
Indiana 7
I have worn my Wested standard jacket for more than five years now (daily) and the only stitching that came loose is the first inch of my left arm seam.

No complaints here.

8)
Indiana Jarmyr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jarmyr »

First I'd like to thank you for all the response so far, and I would also like to make clear that I didn't start this thread to bash Wested.

Anyway, I just got a pretty perplexing email from them. They tell me that they don't have any problems with the stitching on this jacket because it is "reinforced".

So... Am I just imagining the stitches coming loose?

Well, maybe I just missunderstood what they meant.
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

[quote="Indiana Jarmyr"]First I'd like to thank you for all the response so far, and I would also like to make clear that I didn't start this thread to bash Wested.

Not trying to bash Wested at all. I feel that their jackets are beautifully designed. After owning several of their jackets over the years, my experience has always been dealing with their durability. I still feel that it's an on going problem and hope that some day the jacket will be made to last longer.

Best regards,
Indiana 7
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

INDIANA_7 wrote: This has always been a problem from the time these jackets were first made available to the public and still an issue to date.
Be careful how you share your opinion, Indiana7. You may be unhappy with your Wested experience (assuming you have personal experience with Wested, for you don't say) but to say these jackets have always had this issue can be a bit of a stretch and can land you in hot water if not careful. Since others have also had good experiences with Wested, it's hard to say that it's a consistent issue. I'm not saying one way or the other, because mine would be an uneducated reply at this point. Don't get me wrong, you are more than entitled to have and share your opinion, but blanket statements often lead to flame wars and unnecessary clean up. We've had to deal with way too much of that kind of thing lately. If you have personal experience with your own Wested having problems with stitching, share them. Don't just say a blanket statement and not be able to back it up.

Jarmyr, I don't see you as coming off as bashing, since you are sharing your direct experience, as are a few others here. You are fine in stating your concerns and opinions. But you are right, you did not start this thread as a Wested bashing thread, or a "this jacket is better than Wested" thread, so let's keep things civil and on topic, please, and if you have something to contribute, kindly back it up. Carry on. :wink:

EDIT: You were typing as I was, 7, so disregard the above, since I see you now added your experience as to why you feel how you do. But it'd be nice for folks to share these type of things with their initial posts to avoid misunderstandings early on. :wink:
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

So if a flame war started Indiana_7 would be in hot water?? I don't get it :?:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Vegeta, it's not that folks can't have and share opinions, it's a matter of how you state them. If you state an opinion towards a product and it's seen as inflammatory and meant to harm, there is a risk of libel. The "hot water" doesn't necessarily come from us, but from vendors and companies who can afford to bring on a lawsuit. We've had to fight issues behind the scenes on numerous occasions and it's not fun. Some folks will state negative opinions about a product they've had no personal experience with, too, so it can add fuel to the fire.

My misunderstanding of Indiana_7 was due to his seemingly derogatory umbrella statement towards a vendor without stating his personal experience with the product in his initial post. He clarified what he said in his recent post, thankfully. But if he had started posting that every single Wested will have stitching problems and implied implicitly that they purposely send out sub-par product, then it might be taken as libel and things could get ugly.

Sure, we may seem a but on edge with this type of thing sometimes, but until you've dealt with major fires behind the scenes--some which could have shut down the site--it's hard to know how serious a simple misunderstood comment could be taken. Okay, back on topic. :wink:
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Vegeta, it's not that folks can't have and share opinions, it's a matter of how you state them. If you state an opinion towards a product and it's seen as inflammatory and meant to harm, there is a risk of libel. The "hot water" doesn't necessarily come from us, but from vendors and companies who can afford to bring on a lawsuit. We've had to fight issues behind the scenes on numerous occasions and it's not fun. Some folks will state negative opinions about a product they've had no personal experience with, too, so it can add fuel to the fire.

My misunderstanding of Indiana_7 was due to his seemingly derogatory umbrella statement towards a vendor without stating his personal experience with the product in his initial post. He clarified what he said in his recent post, thankfully. But if he had started posting that every single Wested will have stitching problems and implied implicitly that they purposely send out sub-par product, then it might be taken as libel and things could get ugly.

Sure, we may seem a but on edge with this type of thing sometimes, but until you've dealt with major fires behind the scenes--some which could have shut down the site--it's hard to know how serious a simple misunderstood comment could be taken. Okay, back on topic. :wink:
I completely understand the board's views on making blanket statements that are outright false about ANY vendor or any person, both out of respect for the vendor and for personal moral reasons. and I understand that plenty has gone on behind the scenes in response to comments people have made about vendors. I ALSO understand and agree with the fact that it's in the best interest of the boards to regulate what people say about our vendors, at the very least to maintain friendly relations with those vendors.

but honestly, if you tell someone not to make negative blanket statements about a vendor, that rule should be justification enough. I don't think the reasoning should have anything to do with libel suits or anything of the sort.. it should just be because you say so. I only say this because the truth is that even if a vendor were to sue a member of this board, the chances of winning a libel suit for things said in a message forum is almost nil. especially in the case of wested, where even if a suit were filed across the pond, good luck getting any of us extradited to england to attend the trial.

I guess the point of this post is just that I agree that people should watch their wording, but I think they should do it based solely on the admin's authority. and not because we should be worried about lawsuits from vendors.

back on topic.. how are the wested's stitched? my GB had AMAZING stitching, and they're all done by space age stitching machines, right? what would make wested's stitching come out on a different quality level? is it a sewing machine?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I only say this because the truth is that even if a vendor were to sue a member of this board, the chances of winning a libel suit for things said in a message forum is almost nil. especially in the case of wested, where even if a suit were filed across the pond, good luck getting any of us extradited to england to attend the trial.
Very likely you're right....but also bear in mind that the standard practice is to not only go after the individual who made the statement, but the site that allowed the statement to go 'unchallenged'. The site is, 9 times out of 10, usually forced to shut down until the situation is sorted out, win or lose for the law suit. That will not happen on our watch.

In the past, the tact of telling folks not to do or say something 'because 'we' said so' has always been greeted with the administration being accused of being 'forum nazis', so things have been left to common sense to keep things on track and allow more free flowing discussion in a family friendly atmosphere. In only a few isolated situations has this not worked and required more drastic actions.

In this particular case, to paraphrase, bink has asked that we use common sense and not throw general comments out that can be misunderstood by folks outside our community and bring bad things to our doorstep.

Fair enough?

Ok, NOW back to the matter at hand.....

Regards! Michaelson
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

Hey Guys,

Just so you know,my opinion was not intended to disrespect Wested in any shape or form. I've own several of their jackets and love them. Also, Peter is a great man and has always produced a beautiful product. In my own experience over the years I've had several issues with the jacket regarding durability.I would be very disappointed to discover an issue regarding it's durability and wished these jackets or at least mine were put together a little stronger. Will it stop me from purchasing a Wested in the future, absolutely. not. I love these jackets and consider them a great addition to my gear.

Respectfully,

Indiana 7
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

7, after your previous post where you clarified what you meant, I didn't get the impression that you meant any disrespect. But it shows how easily things can get misunderstood when folks don't clarify what they mean or fail to back up their opinions by speaking of their personal experiences. It's all good, though, so no need to worry at this point. Carry on, folks.:wink:
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

INDIANA_7 wrote:Hey Guys,

Just so you know,my opinion was not intended to disrespect Wested in any shape or form. I've own several of their jackets and love them. Also, Peter is a great man and has always produced a beautiful product. In my own experience over the years I've had several issues with the jacket regarding durability.I would be very disappointed to discover an issue regarding it's durability and wished these jackets or at least mine were put together a little stronger. Will it stop me from purchasing a Wested in the future, absolutely. not. I love these jackets and consider them a great addition to my gear.

Respectfully,

Indiana 7

Wow.....betcha Peter loves you AND your money! Did you really mean what you wrote?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Even if he did, Cowboy, there's no reason to disrespect Indiana 7. Keep it between the lines.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Even if he did, Cowboy, there's no reason to disrespect Indiana 7. Keep it between the lines.
what's not between the lines bink? Indiana 7 stated "I would be very disappointed to discover an issue regarding it's durability and wished these jackets or at least mine were put together a little stronger. Will it stop me from purchasing a Wested in the future, absolutely not" The thread is about a brand spankin new Wested that was delivered defective....and others that he has owned has had durability issues too and yet he still wants to buy again?

I7 started the complaint not me. I am just shocked that he would complain to the forum and then do an about turn and gush? So help me out here would ya? That is why I asked for clarification...My Bad
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

:ducttape:

I just wanted to use the duct tape emoticon. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it used on the board before. :wink:
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Rundquist wrote::ducttape:

I just wanted to use the duct tape emoticon. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it used on the board before. :wink:
:ducttape:

Me too.
Indiana Jarmyr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jarmyr »

Before this gets too much out of hand I should probably give you an update.

Everyone I showed it for kept telling me it was too small for me, so in the end... I sent it back anyway. It's a great jacket, so I hope the new one will fit me better.

Now... If the moderators feel like locking this thread, I wouldn't mind. I have gotten what I wanted out of it. :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Done.