Cheapest Whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Cheapest Whip?

Post by Thousand Truths »

I'm just looking for a nice screen accurate Raiders whip that I could just have to display on my belt. The cheapest nicest one I've seen is the one that Todd's has to offer for $200. Anyone know where there is a nice cheaper one? If not I'm fine with the Todd's one just was wondering if there was another, thanks!
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Adam Winrich makes a great replica called the Indy On A Budget (IOAB). It's a 4-plait whip that sells for around $100. He travels a lot, so be patient if you order (if he's even taking orders at this point).

http://www.winrichwhips.com/
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

An 8 foot 12 plait from Gus Ciacedo. $160 plus shipping, I believe.
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Alright nice, I see he's not able to take orders until after May which ***** cause I was hoping to get it before the premiere...
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Thousand Truths wrote:Alright nice, I see he's not able to take orders until after May which ***** cause I was hoping to get it before the premiere...
Then contact Gus and get the 12 plait 8 footer or the 8 plait 8 footer from him instead of the 4 plait 8 footer from Adam. Gus makes a great whip that cracks with ease and is incredibly fast.
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

When I get the money I'm gonna go with Bernardo's whips since they just look gorgeous!
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Just don't settle for a 4 or 8 plait whip. If you're trying to get something that looks the part, save up the extra few bucks and get the right thing. Otherwise, it's kind of just wasted money if you're going to buy something different in the near future.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

If it's well made, it's not "settling" at all. We all have to start somewhere and it's far better then going for the cheapest thing on Ebay.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

But if he's looking for "screen accurate", then getting a 4-8 plait is settling, because it's not screen accurate. Regardless, looks like you're all set in your decision...good luck!
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I think it's been established that "Screen Accurate" is a unicorn that can't be caught. If he want's a good starter whip, that will teach good habbits, allow him to learn how to use it, and looks good enough to be proud of, then a 4 or 8 plait whip is fine.
But then again, it's not about SA for me. It's about the whip, no matter what it looks like. Forest for the tree's if you will.
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

rebelgtp wrote: Then contact Gus and get the 12 plait 8 footer or the 8 plait 8 footer from him instead of the 4 plait 8 footer from Adam. Gus makes a great whip that cracks with ease and is incredibly fast.
How does one contact Gus??

thanks,
-r!

* edit * duh... "that's what google is for, dummy"... found him, thanks...

* edit 2 * - I was going to get the "little raider" from Giovanni Celeste... but he's not making them anymore... sadness... that's kind of what I'm looking for... NOT sa... NOT for too much real cracking... but somewhere in the middle.

Suggestions?
-r!
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

I'd still recommend a whip from Gus, they really do not cost much for what you get. He also has a fairly fast turn around and is a really good guy to work with. If this is your first whip ever I can tell you once you crack it a couple times it will become addictive so it would be nice to have one that you can crack well :lol: . I have one of his 12 plait whips and actually like it better than my whips I have gotten from Adam Winrich.

If really you are just looking for something to hang on your belt there are plenty of cheap whips on ebay but I honestly wouldn't waste the money on one most really are not worth it.

Another thing to consider would be a nylon bullwhip made out of para cord.
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

Thanks for those thoughts... I've never really liked the looks of the nylon ones... so leather it must be. I liked the Little Raider because it was leather, although not as 'fine' and 'roo... but it looked great. It's too bad he's not making those.

I've got Gus' site bookmarked, but he's not making any until June... so I'll sit tight and keep looking.

Any thoughts on Todd's costume piece with the non-steel core?

-r!
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Gus Ciacedo :tup: His work has all my admiration :wink:
From what I heard and saw about Todd´s whip, I think it is a very good choice for all who don´t want to spend a fortune, but wnat to get a usefull and beautiful whip :!:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I noted this elsewhere (Hope this ain't redundant) and got some favorable comments from people who seemed to be familiar with it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/andm ... roduct_138