"choose wisely"

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

"choose wisely"

Post by Blue Coyote »

yeah i found out from someone that theres a local whip maker not far from where i live and i want to check him out, see what he's got, how much he charges etc. oh and uh. i want to know if what he's selling is worth the money i pay for it.
right now i want something i can practice with, a decent whip to use rather than one of the cheap ones i see everywhere. i hear those arent very good for learning because somehow you learn bad habbits from them.
Anyway, at the moment i'm just shopping around. in the long run i'll probably end up ordering a whip from one of the pros(i know they're of good quality).
But, when i go to see this guy is there anything important i need to know on choosing a good whip?(as far as craftsmenship and materials go), questions i should ask him? and if all goes well and i like what i see...
what size should i get? i'm assuming 8ft would be logical for a beginner.

:? ugh.. i hate being a novice at things... i never know how to ask the right questions :roll:

thanks for any info
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Philip »

My advice is to talk to Sergei. Price range looms large when considering this equation, and if you were to PM him with that magic number, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction. You probably have already gathered that he is a virtual warehouse of knowledge concerning the whip. IMHO there is such a vast amount of technical information surrounding this subject, that it would be impossible to do as you ask. But, I could be wrong, that's just my opinion. Good luck!
Indiana Philip
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Blue Coyote,
Yes, send me a PM and I'll try to steer you into a whip that will fit your budget. Living in Florida, there are a couple of whipmakers I can refer you but I need to know your budget.

-S
p.s. You are lucky you live in Florida. There are a couple very strong Whip Enthusiasts groups that are very active and you can hang with them and get some more tips.
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Blue Coyote,

If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the whip maker?

High Regards, Indiana_Hall
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

i have absolutely no idea.. at this moment i mean. i havent even had a chance to PM Sergei yet.. doing that right now though.
this friday i'm supposed to be checking out this source. it might not be worth it. Sergie might have better resources :P

ok going to write now
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

BC,
You have a PM message, right back at you. With your budget you are in good shape!

-S