Do you wear your MK's?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

When do you wear your MK?

Daily
38%
In Costume only
10%
Often
31%
Rarely
20%

Total votes: 89

IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Do you wear your MK's?

Post by IndianaSolo »

Although this has probably been discussed in similar discussions, this thread is directly related to the MK's
If you do wear it what do you put in it?

Cheers
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

You should add something between rarely and often, I think... cuz I'd pick that one. :wink:

I wear it when I don't have too much to carry, but still enough that it would be a hassle to hold it all. Sometimes in classes, if I have a test or something, I'll wear the bag with just some test forms, maybe a notebook and calculator, and some pencils and maybe a bottle of water and some food in there.

Shane
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I use mine for half of my classes, the ones that have smaller textbooks. I cut out the center divider in my Magnoli for the extra space. My original is still intact though and gets less wear.
indygr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indygr »

I use it when I go to the beach! 8)
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Yes, I use it for classes 4 days a week. I stopped using binders and started using Marble Notebooks so as to accommodate the bag's size restriction.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I replaced an REI backpack that I was using daily to haul my personal items to and from work with my repro MarkVII bag from What Price Glory a year or two ago. It wasn't until Halloween this year, when I dressed as Indy that she commented, "Oh, that's where that bag comes from." It holds less that my backpack used to, so my Franklin paper planner and small lunch bag are carried separately. I've seen too many digital organizers fail, so I'm not ready to give up on the paper system just yet. It has a nice leather binder cover, too.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I wear marks from all different kind of events in life on my skin every day. :)

My Mk VII, I wear every day too! :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I sent my Bible to Magnoli and had it re-covered to look like the grail diary and I carry it as well as a Raiders notebook and a Sensematic pencil, (which looks like a wood pencil, but is actually a mechanical pencil) in order to keep the vintage look. I also have a Clover lighter with an orange ziplight (looks like a flame).
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

It's not large enough for daily use for me, but when I travel it almost never leaves my side.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yep mine will normally have any number of things in it for daily carry and if I'm out taking photos for the day it acts as a convenient drop point for the D40 to keep it out of my hands and off my neck.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I have a MKVI that I carry to music practice and performances every week that carries all my luthier equipment, plus spare picks, batteries and cables. My MKVI actually has a small internal pocket with a snap that is perfect for carrying picks.
My MKVII mostly hangs on the wall on display with my other gear unless traveling, in which case it's usually used to carry all the A/V cables and DVD's for my kid's portable DVD player...
Travner Ravenweird
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travner Ravenweird »

Since I broke my ankle back in January I've used it every day. I was worried due to inactivity, that my back would start acting up. So I shoved all the stuff I usually carry in my pant's pockets, (wallet, checkbook, keys, change, comb, hankerchief, knife, keycard) in there. Plus I used it to carry extra stuff while I was on crutches. Now I've added my Moleskine notebook, pencil, flashlight , cell phone in there as well. it's been dang handy.
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

Hunter Jones wrote:It's not large enough for daily use for me, but when I travel it almost never leaves my side.
Would be very interested to see pictures of your Magnoli covered Bible!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ditto!

Regards! Michaelson
lingarn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by lingarn »

Very, very rarely...

My MKVII is practically pristine, so I am honestly terrified of ruining it. :oops:

I've considered getting another one or a replica for day to day use, but haven't made up my mind yet. :?
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

afrayedknot wrote:I sent my Bible to Magnoli and had it re-covered to look like the grail diary and I carry it as well as a Raiders notebook and a Sensematic pencil, (which looks like a wood pencil, but is actually a mechanical pencil) in order to keep the vintage look. I also have a Clover lighter with an orange ziplight (looks like a flame).
Where exactly do you get a ziplight? I can't find anything about them on the zippo site nor any pics elsewhere.

Thanks!
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Bazza wrote:Would be very interested to see pictures of your Magnoli covered Bible!
If I knew how to post pictures . . .
swcrazyfan wrote:Where exactly do you get a ziplight? I can't find anything about them on the zippo site nor any pics elsewhere.

Thanks!
I purchased the lighter and the ziplights from Relic Raider:

http://relicraider.110mb.com/
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

HIGHLY recommended! I have one in each pocket of every jacket I own!

They've really come in handy in tight spots, let me tell you!!!

Regards! Michaelson
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Michaelson wrote:

HIGHLY recommended! I have one in each pocket of every jacket I own!

They've really come in handy in tight spots, let me tell you!!!

Regards! Michaelson
Yes. In fact, it was because Michaelson spoke so highly of them that I decided to make my purchase. And, Michaelson, I'm sorely tempted to follow suit and order a few more, for each of my jackets and MKVIIs.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Every day (work days) I carry a thermos of coffee, whatever book I'm reading, 2 breakfast bars, a magnifying glass and a tape measure.
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

Bazza wrote:
Hunter Jones wrote:It's not large enough for daily use for me, but when I travel it almost never leaves my side.
Would be very interested to see pictures of your Magnoli covered Bible!
I think you have me confused with the poster above me, afrayedknot. :)
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

:-s
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

I was looking at the descriptions between the resin and metal badges:

"Both badge types are painted with the same color and have the same urethane coating, and there is no difference in durability or toughness. However, due to their lower mass, resin badges have an advantage if you ever drop the lighter on a hard surface.

I suggest the M badges if you want the extra heft that the metal badges lend a Zippo. I suggest you choose the R badges if you tend to drop things or if you want to keep the weight of the lighter as low as possible.
"

But does anyone know which one is more unlikely to get worn down? I figure they're probably the same, but in case they were a bit different, just wondering.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I answered rarely, but there was a time when I took it everywhere. One place that I take it a lot is when I travel by air. It makes for a nice bag to throw stuff in, in addition to your carry-on.

My choice of clothes has changed, and I can't really get away with it in the clothes I wear now.

Mike
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

I use my MKVII everyday. Everywhere I go, the bag comes along. It's extremely resourceful !!!
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

My Mark VII bag goes with me to work everyday, and on most weekends when I'm out and about.
Demaroth
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Demaroth »

Mine's my everyday camera bag for my Nikon DSLR. :D

- John
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I was just down at DisneyWorld and my MKVII was the perfect manpurse. It carried a bottle of water, my LOMO LC-A camera and my daughter's stuffed Minnie Mouse.

xoxo

Louie
fourzerotwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fourzerotwo »

Fantastic bag for carrying odds and ends you may need to have access to throughout the day or on a trip.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

I rarely CARRY mine, I use it for school sometimes and on vacation, but I keep one in my car ALL THE TIME. I keep it full of stuff I would need if I ever broke down or got stranded somewhere. Most of the stuff in it is worst-case scenario emergency kit stuff that I'll probably never need, but hey, better to have and not need, than need and not have. 8)