Best way to Handle your Fedora??

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Best way to Handle your Fedora??

Post by raider 57 »

Hey All, Just wondering. What is the best way to handle your Fedora when removing it from the head,etc. I sometimes see hats worn out near front pinch. Others have mentioned they never handle it that way. It seems the natural place to grab it off my head.(at the front pinch) Is it bad for your hat in the long run??? Otherwise, handle it by the brim?
-raider 57
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

By the brim. :wink:
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

For real life purposes you should handle it by the brim. But if you want to do it like Indy does (and the way which I have adopted as well) grab it gently by the pinch and then adjust by the brim.

Cheers
ddibling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ddibling »

Unfortunately, it's a very natural motion to grab it by the crown, but I guess you need to be very careful to be gentle when grabbing the pinch. The thing is, when you've got a hat in one hand and something else in the other, how do you put the thing on without grabbing the pinch?!?

Yours in a pinch,

Dean
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

the same way you'd take off a helmet......2 hands, by the brim on either side of your head....at least that's how i do it.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana G wrote:the same way you'd take off a helmet......2 hands, by the brim on either side of your head....at least that's how i do it.
What kind of helmet?

I take of my fire helmet by the brim and put it on by crandling the frontpiece.
genphideaux
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: hat

Post by genphideaux »

BendingOak wrote: I take of my fire helmet by the brim and put it on by crandling the frontpiece.
Thats how I put my hat on and take it off by the back brim.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

I'd heard that it was bad to grab the hat by the pinch, but I've totally forgotten why. Does it wear the felt out there faster? Or does it deform the hat?
ddibling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ddibling »

Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I wouldnt recomend grabbing by the pinch if you have a raiders bash. It wouldnt matter the other ways. I've always grabbed my cowboy hats by the crown. Thats just how it feels natural.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: hat

Post by Indiana G »

BendingOak wrote:
Indiana G wrote:the same way you'd take off a helmet......2 hands, by the brim on either side of your head....at least that's how i do it.
What kind of helmet?

I take of my fire helmet by the brim and put it on by crandling the frontpiece.
a snug motorcycle helmet of course :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

i didn't know if it was football or bike. The first thing my mind wen't to was fire.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I've developed my own way to take the hat off. I put my right hand on the back of my head, below the hat and push up with my pinky until the hat comes up, and slides forward off the top of my head. As the hat is falling towards the ground, I curl my fingers inside the hat and run my fingertips along the right side of the sweatband until my hand gets to the front of the hat. I keep my fingers on the sweatband, and wrap my thumb around the top of the brim in front. I manage to do all this before the hat falls much past my shoulders.

I know it sounds violent to throw the hat off my head, and catch it in front of myself, but it's actually a lot more gentle than it sounds.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Also a good idea, Raider 57. :tup:
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

ddibling wrote:viewtopic.php?t=27409&highlight=hole

Check this out...

Dean
Oh yeah, I saw that. If grabbing it by the pinch eventually leads to that, then I'm gonna avoid it.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I won't be surprised if my crown wears out, but not because I grab it roughly there (I don't). It's just that all that fussing around with the creases just doesn't seem to be good for it in the long run! ;)
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I must admit that I tend to grab it by the crown or pinch. I'll have to remember to be careful how I do that.
Edward The Head
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Edward The Head »

I just checked this morning. I grab the chin bar with one hand and slip off my helmet. I usually have my glasses in my other hand.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

I too have habitually grabbed my hat at the pinch.....at least 'til now. However I have noticed that the area of the pinch is a little lighter(faded?) now. It's very minimal, but I was wondering if anything can be done to remedy this?? Thanks!!

AND thanks for the lesson learned!
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

I recently changed my handling method and I find it to be second nature for me.
When Talking the hat off, I grab it by the brim. When putting it on, I cup the pinch area in the palm of my hand, therefore NOT pinching it, and scoop the hat onto my head then adjust it by the brim.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

IndianaSolo wrote:I recently changed my handling method and I find it to be second nature for me.
When Talking the hat off, I grab it by the brim. When putting it on, I cup the pinch area in the palm of my hand, therefore NOT pinching it, and scoop the hat onto my head then adjust it by the brim.
I use the same method aswell.