My Magnoli LC jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

My Magnoli LC jacket

Post by Holt »

Hi well Finally it's here...

first I will start with the drape...the drape of the jacket is way out of this world...it is SUPERFANTASTIK!!!!

second it's really light weight.I mean REALLY :shock:

the first thing that striked me was the jacket was missing the bottom seam/stich;I felt a little dissapointed...I looked at the smithsonian jacket wich the jacket is copyed from and there is no stich there either :shock: Magnoli has a great eye for detail :D I always thought that every jacket had the bottom stich.guess not...

the second that I noticed is that the back pannel does not meet the yoke seam..it's not a big deal since it's just about 7 mm away from the yoke seam....

the colour of the jacket is dark brown,but it lookes black in those pictures

the sleeves are still a bit long but that will be fixed in time when the sleeves wrinkle up.

the body is a tad to short,I think?the body length is more like a 42 80's fit

it's a LC jacket but it reminds me more of the Raiders jacket. :shock:
it has the baggy raiders sleeves,wich I like but not very LC since the LC jacket is a bit thicker and stiffer

please be honest..what do you guys think of this jacket and how it fits me.

I cut away my face in these picture because I was in a contest fight yesterday and I got a black eye.I do martial arts.hehe

bests
Holt
Last edited by Holt on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Nice jacket. Looks like Magnoli did a good job on the collar. Is Magnoli's LC strictly a custom modification or is he going to offer it as a separate Indy jacket?

SD
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Eric,

Iam gonna be totally honest here ( don't hate me) but I think this jacket is too short! It looks great, just too short on you.
mgarrison02
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by mgarrison02 »

nice jacket....looks like a great fit.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Dutch_jones wrote:Eric,

Iam gonna be totally honest here ( don't hate me) but I think this jacket is too short! It looks great, just too short on you.
Yeah, I think it is a tad short, but I think that it would look better with the right pants. Also looks a bit dark on camera, but it could be fine in person.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dont hate you guys.I want the honest opinion.I know it feels like a tad to short :cry:

Bests
Eric
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well I measured the jacket and it's the same length as my 42 wested special rotla jacket.
it's 25.5''

It may be that it looks a little short in those pictures ,But I think it is because of that the sleeves are still a little just to long.they need to chin up..maby it gives an optical illusion??

and yes st.dumas the collar is PERFECT!!!!

bests
Holt
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

I think that at least as a Raiders jacket it's a great length. And like I said, I think that short length would look a lot better with the right pants.

Don't know if that pic is the best representation, but I always thought the Raiders jacket was pretty short. But of course you'll keep in mind that what matters most is that you're satisfied with it.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

I dont hate you guys.I want the honest opinion.I know it feels like a tad to short
If YOU don't like it, then see if you can send it back for one that has a
longer body.

I think its too short by about an inch or so. Its not much, but just
enough that it would make me leave the jacket in the closet, and not
wear it, as I would feel like eveyone was staring at me.

In the end, its YOU that have to determine if you want to WEAR the jacket
or not. Not us.

If it was me, I would send it back for one that is longer.
Flathead
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It looks short for an LC, but I think it's right for a Raiders. It looks like it falls on you about where my Wested Raiders falls on me. I could tell better if you had on khakis of some sort.

Otherwise, it makes me wish I was filthy rich!!!!

Is that Lamskin?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes I know.I feel it's to short too...it will be fixed I am sure.

yep it's lambskin

best
Holt
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Argonaut wrote:I think that at least as a Raiders jacket it's a great length. And like I said, I think that short length would look a lot better with the right pants.

Don't know if that pic is the best representation, but I always thought the Raiders jacket was pretty short. But of course you'll keep in mind that what matters most is that you're satisfied with it.
Depends on the photo. It looks long in others. This photo is not a good one because HF is hunched forwards and the jacket is clearly pulled up and over his shoulders.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Holt that pocket looks great. Why can't Peter do his LC pockets like that?

What is the measurement of the pocket from top to bottom and what is the measurement of the flap?
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

Yeah, man. Hate to tell you, because I thought the Magnoli Indy looked like the correct length, but it is TOO short. sorry.

Randoman
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yupp I know I feel it's too short to.I will have it fixed.

yes the pockets are the CLOSEST I have seen anyone make. :D

they are so great.

yes I have wondered why peter dont make them like that??it sure is a big advantige for Tony that he doesn't...the pockets are dead on to what you see on the smithsonian jacket

bests
Holt
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

I think your jacket looks perfect my friend! wear it in good health!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Dude! fantastic looking jacket, just way too short! if it just had 2 more inches in the body...
the hide and the details look great though.

I'd send it back and get the exact same thing with a longer body
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes the details are fantastic and yeah I know it's to short..I am talking to Magnoli now...I am sure we can figure something out?

bests
Holt
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I am sure Mags will do everything he can.

Just a word of wisdom for anyone ordering a Magnoli Jacket - it is supposed to be made to your specifications. Make sure you include how long you want it. I ordered one of the "Vintage Adventure Jackets" with the specific length that I needed, and it came out perfect.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Argonaut wrote:I think that at least as a Raiders jacket it's a great length. And like I said, I think that short length would look a lot better with the right pants.

You got to remember that Ford IS hunched over in that picture. Also, you might want to refer to these threads with regards to the Raider's jacket length:

viewtopic.php?t=22195&start=0
viewtopic.php?t=24844&start=0

Though they may not be definitive, they do represent at least some of the differing views on the jacket length. More importantly, the jacket here in question is a Crusade jacket, which can be seen here: ;)

To Holt, in my opinion, the jacket is not only too short for an Indy jacket, but too short for a jacket, period. Don't take this the wrong way, and this is really being subjective, but I personally really think that length looks... for lack of a better word... "geeky". It almost looks like you're wearing a jacket that you long outgrew, vertically speaking.

And with regards to the pocket size, I personally dislike it, and think Magnoli can do better, but if you like it, all the more power to you. It looks somewhat "stubby", and can certainly be improved upon.

Again, don't take this personally, and I know I'm probably coming off as the forum's biggest jerk here, but I'm just trying to be frank, since I really just don't think the jacket looks good on you. Throw on three or four extra inches to the jacket length, and maybe narrow and lengthen the pockets, and you'd have a winner there!
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

You got to remember that Ford IS hunched over in that picture.
Good point. I thought about that, but I thought I'd make an effort at optimism. But then I guess it's better that Holt's jacket actually fit. I know that I would prefer it longer if it were my jacket.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Aside from the length I love the actual fit. Especially in the shoulders.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I think the LC jacket looks great, Holt. Maybe the jacket could be a little bit longer like you said, but I wouldn't let it bother me. I've been a big Raiders fan for most of my "Indy career" but lately I've been slowly but surely becoming a LC man. I don't know why.

But you have a GREAT JACKET. Magnoli did a really good job. And it looks good on you.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

There you have a great LC jacket Holt :!: :D
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

the jacket looks great, i would say though, and not just in your case but to me, many members tend to get 'smaller/tighter' fitting jackets. Id think the next size up would be better ya know?
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

I agree with ortiz344 I believe the next size up would suit you better... at least from a practical standpoint. Fit is a very personal thing and in the end you should wear what feels comfortable to you.

If you are trying to match a particular scene you might not be too far off (just a bit more length perhaps) but from my perspective you'd have to beat the heck out of that jacket to make that look work as IMO it does look a bit nerdy on a non-distressed jacket. I suspect the original Raiders jacket had a more fitted look before it was distressed and tweaked for filming. What strikes me on the Raiders jacket is the way the collar and front opening lay exposing much of the shirt color and front in many scenes giving Indy a unique and distinctive look... a "properly" fitting jacket would cover more of the front of the costume. This effect could have been achieved by wearing the jacket collar farther back than normal which would also would make the length in the back to seem longer. You might play with the way you're wearing the jacket and see if you can match what you are after. Of course achieving a look probably means sacrificing comfort and functionality.

Overall I'd say nice looking jacket! Hope it works out for you.