By the power of David Morgan!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

By the power of David Morgan!

Post by IndyFrench »

I have the POWER!

But seriously - Went whipcracking today to limber up for the Finger Lakes Summit. (Can't be rusty when meeting new Indyfans.)

I spent the first half cracking the new 8-foot nylon by Rhett Kelley I purchase a few weeks ago. Boy is that whip a stinger! Fast and furious! A real treat to use! I keep messing up the X cycles though when getting into the fourth or fifth successive crack - It's hard to keep the pace up without making the whip hit itself! After 15 years of doing this, you'd think I'd figure it out...

Anyway, so then I switch out to the 10' David Morgan that I've owned for seven years. Lemme tell you - It was night and day different! For the first time I realized how heavy the Morgan is compared to other whips I've used. It feels heavy and mean and when it flies through the air and pops - everything about it from the sound of the throw to the weight of the crack screams dangerous - stay out of the way!

Granted, this whip also has two feet on the Kelley - But I will say that if I was in a confined space, like a Cairo alleyway for example, a fast, light 8-footer would make me feel more confident. Of course, maybe an 8-foot Morgan would be the best of both worlds...

Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

brah!! id like to give you my opinion but im waiting for my 10ft pagey whip.... might be able to tell what cracking one of them bad boys feels like when i get it.

Red Dust
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

"Brah!!" - Is that an exclamation of doubt or support? I can't tell.
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

I know exactly what you are talking about. For a few years, I've been using an 8' Mexican 4-plait (which I call "The Jalapeño Popper"). I learned a few very basic cracks with it, but it made noise, so I was happy.

Well, a 9' Morgan came available (thanks, Adam!) and I snatched it up. The whip cracks itself. It is very heavy compared to my original, and considerably heavier than any other whip I've handled, save for FloatinJoe's 10' Morgan. ;)

The difference in sound is night and day. even a quiet crack is louder than the loudest crack I can manage with The Popper. Guess that just speaks to the skills of the whipmaker, and the quality of their work.

IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

IndyFrench wrote:"Brah!!" - Is that an exclamation of doubt or support? I can't tell.
It is a term of friendship from the Hawaiian Islands braddah!

Hang Loose!!!!

<Nice whips by the way!>
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

"word is bond" can yah tell me what means :lol:
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

I speak jive...
"Word is Bond"
Shortened version of "My word is my bond". You're saying that what you're saying is true and without reproach.
Smack 'em Yack 'em.
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

ha... your right. it originated from people on the stock market didnt have time to write a legal contract out so they would say "my word is bond" or "word is bond" which is now used as a term within hip hop... there you go.

Indy 4 is gonna kick arse.. word is bond
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Red Dust wrote:ha... your right. it originated from people on the stock market didnt have time to write a legal contract out so they would say "my word is bond" or "word is bond" which is now used as a term within hip hop... there you go.

Indy 4 is gonna kick arse.. word is bond
Is that the same as "word up"?
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Nah....
Word up is just another way to affirm or agree.
Reddust:Indy 4 is gonna kick arse!
Rjallen70: word up.
or drop the up and just say Word.
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

word up is a term to greet someone aswell.... watch out for the babylon!!!