Question about snaps on the whipholder...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indydawg

Question about snaps on the whipholder...

Post by Indydawg »

Does anyone know where one could get their grubby little hands on some of those "special" snaps that Lee Keppler uses on his whipholders that have that little "groove and ridge" inside the female end that keep that whipholder shut if pulled from the bottom, but releases it very easily if pulled from the top?

I'm thinking of trying my hand at making myself a custom one, and I REALLY like the way that snap works....

Any help on this? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Later!
Indydawg
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

LOL!!! I love that movie!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Indydawg

Excellent! Thanks, everyone!!!

Post by Indydawg »

Posted: Jan Wed 29, 2003 9:29 pm Post subject: Oh YEAH!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Those Scovill "Pull the Dot" snaps look like the ticket!!!

Now, what size do I need? Dalexs? What size did you use? Or are we going to go with the plan that I suggested in my PM to you earlier? Just let me know!!!

Thanks y'all!
Later!
Indydawg
Dig Leader

Pull-The-Dot Fasteners

Post by The_Edge »

Just got off the phone with Scovill and they require a minimum $200 purchase. So they referred me to Fastener Supply (800-224-6610). This place can only sell a minimum of 100 per piece. The price break down for nickel finish snaps is like this:

Caps: 100 @ $17.00
Sockets: 100 @ $16.05
Studs: 100 @ $9.10

400 pieces total @ $45.65

I don't know about you but I don't need a hundred sets of these.

Dalex, where did you find your local supply of Pull-the-dot snaps?

-Kyle
Indydawg

Whoa!

Post by Indydawg »

I haven't heard anything back from them yet, but I talked with the folks at Scovill yesterday and they didn't say anything about a minimum order if I wanted to check out the Pull the Dot snaps. I emailed this nice lady and I haven't heard back from her.

I sure as heck can't afford 200 of those sets if that's what I am going to have to buy.

If I haven't heard back from them in a few days, maybe Dalexs, you COULD go by and pick me up a couple of sets. I've got the tools I need to put the snaps on available to me....

Thanks, man!
Indydawg
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pull-The-Dot Fasteners

Post by Dalexs »

KyleS wrote:This place can only sell a minimum of 100 per piece. The price break down for nickel finish snaps is like this:

I don't know about you but I don't need a hundred sets of these.

Dalex, where did you find your local supply of Pull-the-dot snaps?

-Kyle
Like I mentioned earlier, I have a local leather crafts shop that happens to carry these and many other types of hardware (similar to The Leather Factory).

The last time I bought them, they were $1.00 per set.
I know this is 2x what they sell for whole sale but I don't have to buy them in lots of 200.
They have different lengths depending on how thick the leather is. I can buy as many or as few as I need.

If you guys wat, I can pick them up any time because I can easily stop by on my way to work.

They occasional stock a dead ringer for the Keppler Bag Strap buckle.

Dalexs
Indydawg

Yeah...

Post by Indydawg »

I think I may want you to do that if I don't hear anything from these folks before too long.

Thanks man!
Indydawg

BTW...how do you figure what length you need for the post and stud lengths?
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Pull-The-Dot Fasteners

Post by The_Edge »

Dalexs wrote: The last time I bought them, they were $1.00 per set.
I know this is 2x what they sell for whole sale but I don't have to buy them in lots of 200.
They have different lengths depending on how thick the leather is. I can buy as many or as few as I need.

If you guys wat, I can pick them up any time because I can easily stop by on my way to work.

They occasional stock a dead ringer for the Keppler Bag Strap buckle.

Dalexs
Definitely! Now when you say a set I'm assuming a set is of the four pieces. I can swing a buck per set. Are they brass or nickel? I'll send you a PM and get your address as soon as I measure the ones I have at home for what length I need. Thanks!

-Kyle
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I know the ones I bought were nickel. But if you sand off the finish, they have a brass color.

And yes, a set consists of all the pieces.

The shaft length comes in a couple of sizes. I think I brought the leather i was using with me and just kinda compared it.
Just measure the leather width normally to what would to be an common size (ie 3/8").
The leather in the picture is about 1/8" and the shafts are about 3/8".

Keep in mind you guys are gonna need the right size stamping tool if you don't already have one. I seem to recall that ran a couple of bucks.

Just PM me with details.

Dalexs
Indydawg

Will do, man!

Post by Indydawg »

And thanks again!!!
Indydawg
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Philip »

That's really a good design on that whip-holder!
Indiana Philip
Indydawg

Yes, it is!!!

Post by Indydawg »

I've got one myself, but it just was too big for my 8 ft PS whip, so after trying to shrink it a couple of times (with middling results), I decided to try and add another snap. Well, I made the mistake of taking it to a local shop here who SAID they knew what to do, but then they changed out the male part and put a matching set on the bottom so that it NO LONGER works on the top one, and the wrong kind of snap is on the bottom....

Long story short, I've got to replace two female ends and the male end....

But, yeah...that design is awesome! I love mine!
Later!
Indydawg
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Indiana Philip wrote:That's really a good design on that whip-holder!
Indiana Philip
Unfortunately I can't take credit for that one... its based on the Keppler design I saw on the USWings webpage. I think his was based directly on the ones from Raiders.

And yes its an excellant design.

Hey 'dawg, you can just drill off the part of that snap you don't need and replace it with the correct one, if thats easier.

Dalexs
Indydawg

No, dude...

Post by Indydawg »

That won't cut it....the guys at the local shop mangled the inside "lip" on that pull the dot female end and it doesn't work anymore. I'm going to have to have one male end and two female ends to get this thing working right again.

I have not heard back from the Scovill people yet, so if you would please, go ahead as soon as you can, get ahold of two female sets and one male set of those snaps and send them to me. I'll send you the money for them in the mail...I've still got your address.

Thanks, dude!
Indydawg
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Okay, so I received some pull-the-dot snaps last week (thanks very much to Dalexs) and put together yet another whip holder last weekend. (I must have a dozen different whip holders lying around now. :roll: )

The P-t-D's are very well made fasteners. I had no problems installing them in place. When the bullwhip is secured in the holder the P-t-D holds it in very secure with out popping open from the whip's girth. The whip is easily released by pulling on the top of the holder and this is my one complaint. It's too easy. I haven't had a chance to actually test this holder out on the trails but it seems to me that if the top is bumped accidentally by a bag or an arm or something that it will pop open and drop the whip to the ground. Again, there doesn't seem to be any concern about the whip itself popping the snap open but I do have concerns over the security of the easy release top part. Maybe deforming the stud a slight bit can remedy this.

Just thought I'd let you know what I found.

-Kyle
Indydawg

Yeah...

Post by Indydawg »

I got mine in the mail too, but I have not gone and gotten the snaps installed yet, but I have noticed the same thing about my Keppler Raiders rig....it is very easy to open....I haven't tried it "in the field" yet, but I feel like it would probably be ok....

Only one way to REALLY find out, though, isn't there?

Later!
Indydawg
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Yeah...

Post by The_Edge »

Indydawg wrote:
Only one way to REALLY find out, though, isn't there?

Later!
Indydawg
Agreed. I'll get the trampoline set up and you bring the girls. 8)
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I've had my holder in use with these snaps since last summer and have yet to have them pop open. At 2 halloween partys, in full gear and lots of people "bumping" into each other, I never had a problem.

I suppose being dragged behind a truck may make it open, other wise I don't thinks its a problem.

When I first installed them I tried to bounce the thing around alot under the full weight of my 10' PS and it never opened either.

Dalexs
Indydawg

Oh yeah...

Post by Indydawg »

You know what the deal is, Edge!!!
8)
Later!
Indydawg
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I am still waiting on my new Keppler whipholder from by buddy Dan aka "Rick". I hope I don't have any problems with the snap, I did with my current whipholder, I had to replace the snap twice on that thing, it's a LC style whipholder.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Lee uses the same snaps on his holders. So there should not be any problems.

Dalexs
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

As Mr. Burns would say Dalexs, "Excellent" :twisted: