Nylon Stock Whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

LemonLauren
Vendor

Nylon Stock Whip?

Post by LemonLauren »

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about getting a pair of stock whips so I can start learning some more complicated two-whip routines, but I want something inexpensive that I don't have to worry much about in inclement weather (which we get way too much of here). Nylon sounds perfect. But here's my question: Who makes good nylon stockwhips? I'm not talking about cow whips here - I'd actually like a real stock whip, just made out of nylon. Does anybody make them? I've had a few people tell me Chris Hall's work is great - does he make nylon stock whips?
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I don't know if Chris makes a nylon stock whip. If you are interested in starting out on stock whips, with nylon and inexpensive, I would recommend Westernstageprops:

http://www.westernstageprops.com
$69 per whip.

These are fun stockwhips.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Sergei,
Thanks for the advice. What I'm really trying to find though is a traditional style stock whip - with a keeper - made from nylon. Western Stage Props' nylon "stock whip" looks like a Florida cow whip, not a stock whip. And though I'm sure it probably is fun to play with, I'm actually trying to find someone who can make a real stock whip out of nylon.
-Lauren
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

http://www.stockmansupply.com/whip3-stock.html

Here you go......the royal blue and black one looks traditional to me.

Best Wishes

Tony x
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Good question Lauren, I thought Chris Hall only worked rawhide but I could be wrong. While I know a lot of whip makers that do very good nylon bullwhips and Florida style cow whips, I really don’t know any off hand who are known for making competition style Australian nylon stock whips.

You could try Karaka whips in New Zealand at www.stockwhips.co.nz they make traditional style stock whip out of some weather proof type synthetic material, I don’t know how well they respond compared to a good pair of kangaroo hide stock whips, or even a pair of white hide practice whips, but you could drop them a line.

Since you want a matched pair for Australian style multi-cracking and so forth, they need to be well made with a good balance and not just a tough cracking yard whip for working live stock. I’ve seen a few nylon stock whips pop up from time to time, but most never impressed me much compared to leather. You could try checking with whip makers Krist King, Greg Desaye or Rhett Kelly. The all do good work in nylon so they might be able to do a pair of competition style stock whips for you.

Dan
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Hi Lauren,

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear....As a matter of fact, I do make nylon stockwhips. If you're interested, just shoot me a PM and we'll talk. Alrighty?

Highest Regards,
- Chris Hall
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Thanks for the replies so far, everybody.

Indiana_Hall, I just finished a PM to you.

Stock whips aren't really much of an Indiana Jones thing, but this forum seems to house an unmatched variety of some of the most well-informed whip people I've found anywhere. Thank you!

If anyone else has any other info or opinions on nylon stock whips, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again,

Lauren