Hat placement and removal question

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

alanseijas
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Hat placement and removal question

Post by alanseijas »

Hello all. This is my first post, and I must say that I am very impressed by all the knowledge available here. I stumbled upon you while searching for info on TKOCS. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an Akubra Adventurer. The hat came with a 'care sheet' that stated not to place or remove the hat on or from your head by pinching the crown. It says that you could wear a hole that is unrepairable. What is your experience with this, and how do you place and remove your hat :?:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

First of all WELCOME!!! :D

Second of all, I remove mine by the brim. It's quite true that when felt is pinched or flexed too much or too hard in a tight direction, it will eventually wear a hole. Don't pinch the front of the crown if you can avoid it.

That said, though, don't treat it like it was a crate of eggs either. It takes a LOT of repetition to make such damage occur. Removal by the front with care will not cause the damage as mentioned in the flyer.

Glad you're here, and post when you have the chance!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

I usually handle my fedora by the brim or the base of the crown. It's true that you can eventually wear a hole in the crown by handling it by the pinch, especially if you have that razor-sharp Raiders style pinch.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WeeMadHamish wrote: It's true that you can eventually wear a hole in the crown by handling it by the pinch, especially if you have that razor-sharp Raiders style pinch.
Another reason why the Raiders style has never been my personal favorite. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Welcome and nice to meet you. About your worryings, I wouldn't bother too much. Just don't pinch too hard and it will be fine.

I've always taken my hats off my head by the front pinch. Never had any problem. I have raiders hats though and I've already bashed them with tight pinch as they should be.
I don't see all the fuss about not taking the hat by pinching the front. Doesn't need to be pinched to death to take the hat off. I've personally never seen the beginning of a possible hole in the felt :shock:

Considering that you have an Akubra Adventurer, may I ask you to show some pictures of it? There aren't too many on this board yet and I've been very curious to see them. Did you order it open crown or came already bashed?
alanseijas
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alanseijas »

Thanks for all the quick responses. The friendly environment here is very warming!

I waited for this hat to be released by Akubra for over a month. It came unbashed. I feel it is VERY good quality. The brim didn't need any adjustments, though. It came perfectly shaped. I already stepped on the hat once when a tv fell on my head, and it snapped right back to shape!

I will post pictures soon. I don't have the ability right now while I'm at work!
Last edited by alanseijas on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Erri, like Michaelson said, eventually it will wear a hole. When you have had your hat long enough and it wears a hole in it, you'll be sorry that you didn't head the advice.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Ok I'll keep that in mind
alanseijas wrote:
I will post pictures soon. I don't have the ability right now while I'm at work!
I thought I would have never used it again but.... here it is

;0
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

It's like removing glasses. They always say, remove your glasses with both hand, pulling straight from the face without any torque. I'll bet even the optometrists don't do that. My hat is almost like a pet animal on my head. I remove it by the brim, running my hand along the curve to bring it up a touch, by the front and side pinches to increase the definition a bit. I mush it and bash it when it gets out of shape. I have always treated my fedoras this way and have never had a problem. All of my hats up til now have been second hand, so they have already had some wear before I got them.
It is true that I usually end up with glasses held together with wire, solder, Gorilla Glue and tape, and that I have not actually owned a hat for ,ore that 3 years. Also, I can;t be sure that I won;t be far more careful with my first new hat, the AB I currently await with palpating heart and drooling mouth. I will probably change all my hat habits when that little sweetie comes home to roost.
RockBottom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RockBottom »

Erri wrote:Considering that you have an Akubra Adventurer, may I ask you to show some pictures of it? There aren't too many on this board yet and I've been very curious to see them. Did you order it open crown or came already bashed?
Open crown

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Welcome aboard. I rather like what you've done with the hat. It looks like my Akubra Fed. The side views look really good!

Also, taking your hat by the front pinch has another effect on it that I hadn't seen before I started doing it to a hat I used to have. Your fingers have oils on them, and over time, the oil will cause the felt to be "marked" wherever your fingers routinely press against it while you take it off/put it on. Like a section of carpet you walk over all the time vs. a section you don't. After awhile, I was able to tell where my thumb and finger touched the felt when I took it off or put it on, and that used to bug me, even though it was subtle.

Michaelson & Co. are correct, pinching it by the front when taking it off and putting it on will eventually wear a hole in the felt, but it's going to take a long time for "eventually" to become a reality. That said, when it happens ... 4, 5 ... 10 years from now, good luck replacing the hat, especially if it's an AB. :wink:

When I put my hats on, I put them on by very lightly gripping the apex of the pinch until it's on my head, and then I pull the brim down to solidify the hat's place on my head. I turn it, and I'm done. When I take it off, I usually push the underside of the brim up and grab it.

Long story short, a few pinches here and there isn't going to kill it, but repeated pinching and grabbing over an extended period of time will eventually cause it to wear out.
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

:lol: You'll wind up with a fed that looks like this:

JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

You'll wind up with a fed that looks like this:
Pinches? We don't need no stinkin' pinches!
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

JulianK wrote:
You'll wind up with a fed that looks like this:
Pinches? We don't need no stinkin' pinches!
No, but if our hats do have torn pinches, we could cover up the holes with stinking badges. :wink:

Jack
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You know it's getting slow around here when we have to fall back on lines from 'Blazing Saddles'. #-o :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Actually, Michaelson ol' friend the line is originally from Treasure of the Sierra Madre...but I'm sure I'm just missing your sense of humor. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It also appeared in Blazing Saddles when Slim Pickin's signed up a group of Mexican bandits to help burn down the town of Rockridge and offered them badges to wear......

See, I watch DIFFERENT classic movies than YOU do. [-( :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm... sooooo... tired. I'm pooped! :lol:
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

[ resists urge to make dress comment ]

I remove my hat by the pinch. But then, it's a Dorfman, and I'm trying to wear holes in it, so then I'll have to buy a new hat!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, the main reason I like fedoras is because of classic movies... And though I'm in the minority here, I'd support taking off a hat by the brim. I mean, can you name a single classic movie that features the characters taking off their hats by the brim?

Though there's that counter-argument that "it's just a movie...", I'm sure the pinch-practice reflected reality at the time, or the fashion magazines back then would have had a field day...

While taking off a hat by the brim is better for the hat in the long run, to me, it just seems more 'right' to do it by the pinch! ;)
Last edited by Castor Dioscuri on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

That's mainly because doing it that way in the movies shows a kind of devil may care attitude, which makes the character cooler without us realizing they're doing that. That, and a lot of times, a hat wasn't considered a treasure like we consider some of ours to be. They were not really disposable, per se, but they were expendable and replaceable. 20 years from now, an AB will be irreplacable.
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

Re: Hat placement and removal question

Post by ij1936 »

alanseijas wrote:...place or remove the hat on or from your head by pinching the crown. It says that you could wear a hole that is unrepairable. What is your experience with this, and how do you place and remove your hat :?:
Had a HJ years ago that I wore a hole in the crown. It took quite a long time to do, but a hole will be the result. Gave the hat to Goodwill.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

RockBottom wrote:
Erri wrote:Considering that you have an Akubra Adventurer, may I ask you to show some pictures of it? There aren't too many on this board yet and I've been very curious to see them. Did you order it open crown or came already bashed?
Open crown

...man I like that hat more every time I see it!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

alanseijas wrote:Hello all. This is my first post, and I must say that I am very impressed by all the knowledge available here. I stumbled upon you while searching for info on TKOCS. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an Akubra Adventurer.
Hey- did yours come with the red liner?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I like the work you've done on it alanseijas. Personally I'm not a fan of the super-tight-pinch but yours surely recall the idol grab scene and some cairo shots. The front pinch could be slightly lower if you want my suggestion, so to make some side humps more evident
alanseijas
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alanseijas »

citRon wrote:
alanseijas wrote:Hello all. This is my first post, and I must say that I am very impressed by all the knowledge available here. I stumbled upon you while searching for info on TKOCS. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an Akubra Adventurer.
Hey- did yours come with the red liner?
No, it is white. :)

http://storage.vnunited.com/image_files ... turer4.JPG
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I always set the hat on my head by the pinches, but push it down firmly from the top of the crown. I take it off by pushing up on the back of the sweatband.

I had an old fedora from my grandpa (when I was 6, so I didn't take care of it). I definitly pinched the front tight and often, and ended up with some nice holes in it after a couple years.