6 footer vs. 8 footer & the 6 wins UNANIMOUSLY

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

6 footer vs. 8 footer & the 6 wins UNANIMOUSLY

Post by Whipcrack »

I thought I would stir the pot with a little discussion.

My sons and I received a 6 foot Morgan for Christmas. The whip is about 2 years old and in approximately the same condition as the 8 foot Morgan we use almost every day. The 6 has been an instant success. It cracks easier, more consistently than the 8, is better for targets, easier to circle and quicker to the snap than the 8. My 9 year old can crack the 6 easily where he had trouble with the 8. Steven is too short to keep the 8 moving for long. In fact, all 4 of us like the 6 foot whip better than the 8.

This is a shock to me. I thought 8 feet was the perfect length for a bull whip. While a 10 footer may look better on your belt I am convinced that real whip guys need a 6 to find out what they can really do with a whip. Now I know why all the whip experts in the videos are using short whips.

Keep your 8’s and 10’s friends but give a 6 a try. Repent sinner and you will be saved, AND THEY ARE CHEAPER TOO!

Let me know what you think, Bill Walton
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

For target work...

Post by Michaelson »

...I'd say you're right on the mark. (no pun intended). For emergency situations (which I have found myself in before), a 10 footer is much more desirable to me than a 6, as with the 10 footer, you gain a 20+ foot circle of protection vs. only a 12+ foot circle. In my case, I had to use mine when I stumbled into a pack of dogs in the woods. That extra length of whip and the extra 8 feet of space gave me time and room to sort out the situation, and find the head of the pack to concentrate on. It did, and I received no bites or futher problems from the pack. For 'funsies', though, I can see your point. Just a thought. Regards. Michaelson
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

I never thought of that kind of use Michaelson, when we take the whip into the yard our terrier Daisy heads the other way.

Thanks
Bill
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So do all our dogs, cats, and anything within earshot. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Bike Whip?

Post by Indiana Philip »

I have a black 4 foot "Lil' Indy" that I keep coiled and at the ready on my bike trips. I have used it several times with great success, and now won't leave home without it.
Indiana Philip
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Well thanks Bill for kicking this off.

For 90% I would agree about the 6 footers. I certainly would agree that they are fun and addicting. I have six, 6 footers in my bag.

One thing that I would add in favor of the 8 footers is that they have a "significant" roll out of the thong, when throwing the whip as opposed to NO "significant" visible roll of the thong on the 6 footers. You can see a graceful loop being formed on throwing the 8 footer and more on the 10. But the 8 footer combines the grace, and the throw of the 10 but is near the speed of the 6. It's the best of both worlds. The 10 and the 6 are extreme's ends of the scale.

Just my opinion....

-Sergei
Frank Wolf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Frank Wolf »

Sergei wrote: The 10 and the 6 are extreme's ends of the scale.
What about the 12 footers? Off-the-scale-and-obsolete?

:?
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Frank Wolf wrote:
Sergei wrote: The 10 and the 6 are extreme's ends of the scale.
What about the 12 footers? Off-the-scale-and-obsolete?

:?
Personally, I love using the 12 footers. While the 8's and 6's are certainly easier to exert control over and definitely safer for cutting targets with when you have a person holding the target for you, you can do anything with a 12 that you can do with a 6 or 8. It just takes more time for the whip to roll out and do its thing, but once you get used to the length target cutting and even volleys can be done with a 12 foot whip quite easily. It's beautiful to watch a 12 footer roll out when you volley with it, seeing that long roll out go back and forth.

Jim
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

If you think the 6-footer is the extreme end of the scale, think again. Check out Morgan's website- he makes a 5.

-Dale
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

ecwhips wrote: you can do anything with a 12 that you can do with a 6 or 8. It just takes more time for the whip to roll out and do its thing, but once you get used to the length target cutting and even volleys can be done with a 12 foot whip quite easily. It's beautiful to watch a 12 footer roll out when you volley with it, seeing that long roll out go back and forth.

Jim
Whoa! Volley's with a 12? I suppose. I remember Mike Murphy even walked away when I gave him my 10 foot bullwhip to do a volley at last year's WWAC. I hear what you are saying. The 12 is a graceful whip, nice lazy roll to it.

OK, here's a crack you can't do on a 12 that you can EASILY do on a 6, Arrowheads! No way, no how. Double handed cross overs. No way, no how. :-) Just teasing with you Jim. But there are limits. Cheers!

-Sergei
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

OK, here's a crack you can't do on a 12 that you can EASILY do on a 6, Arrowheads! No way, no how. Double handed cross overs. No way, no how. :-) Just teasing with you Jim. But there are limits. Cheers!

-Sergei[/quote]

Okay, double handed crossovers...probably not. :wink: But, I'm going to give that arrowhead a shot as soon as all of this snow melts. I'll bet it can be done, as the Arrowhead is really just a volley on each side of the body, and you just keep switching sides.

Kind regards,
Jim :D
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Boy, I'd like to see that Jim. Arrowheads using a 12 footer. Are you going to the WWAC this year?

-S
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Sergei wrote:Boy, I'd like to see that Jim. Arrowheads using a 12 footer. Are you going to the WWAC this year?

-S
I wish I could go this year, just can't swing it though. Next year definitely.

Jim
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Is my whip done yet :? :? :?
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Indiana Josh wrote:Is my whip done yet :? :? :?
I'm getting there, Josh. It will be done tonight or tomorrow night. I couldn't do any work on it on the last day or so because I had a minor plumbing catastrophe in my house. I'm back onto it tonight.

Jim :D
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I hate it when that happens, ah I was at school when I wrote that, I was a little cought up in somethings, a little ticked off by someone, but anyways. I hope everything with your plumbing is ok, lol, keep up the good work.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Indiana Josh wrote:I hate it when that happens, ah I was at school when I wrote that, I was a little cought up in somethings, a little ticked off by someone, but anyways. I hope everything with your plumbing is ok, lol, keep up the good work.
Everything's fine now, 10,000 gallons of water later! :x
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

AHHHHHHHHH :x :x :x :x :x :x :x