woahh....

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

woahh....

Post by hollywood1340 »

A DM #10 will now set you back 840 bucks. Wha...where..why....
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Yikes
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Glad I got in when I did.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Yeah,

Glad I already have one....Bought mine in 2001 and have kept it used but immaculate.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Sure. He's THE MAN. Plus...how old is he now? For some folks, an Indy whip created by hands of the original artist would be worth much more. He's probably making fewer of them as well...making them more rare.
And as I said...someday there will be no more new DM whips.

-Rabittooth
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

He didn't just make the whips for the movies - he INVENTED that whip. And that's his design that so many whipmakers (myself included) are using when they make an "Indy whip".
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Roo hide, especially quality roo hide has gone up due to the drought in Australia. But it's the law of supply and demand and what the free market will bear. He's not holding a gun to your head... people are buying them. Let's call it - BRANDING. David Morgan has a branded name in regards to whips.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I was just up visiting Morgan again the other day and honestly I believe that Morgan is completely justified in charging what he does for the whips.

Aside from being the guy that invented that type of whip and revived the american whipmaking industry, he has a lot more overhead than people making whips in their garage (or in my case kitchen). Morgan's got employees and a warehouse (that place is huge!).

He's definately got the David Morgan brand built and if you want an indy whip, at the end of the day do you want your indy from maker X or do you want a "real" indy?

Sure a well made indy style whip will do the exact same thing as a Morgan, but it's the difference between having a Picasso that was copied by another artist or an painting that was actually painted by Picasso. Sure the both may look the same, but one is the real dal and ther other is still a copy.

xoxo

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I guess it also depends on what you wish to do with your picasso. From what I've read on these boards, your not buying the picasso what was ten years ago. Also from what I've read on these boards, it's THAT picasso you want, from ten years ago. I'm all for buying picasso, but I'd hang that in my museum, not put it in a traveling trunk for sixth graders.
Okay, I think I've taken this analogy a bit far.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Let's call it - BRANDING. David Morgan has a branded name in regards to whips.
It would feel like being branded, all right. I suppose I can see both reasons, name and overhead, but that is a lot of money!
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

When I bought my 10' DM almost 7 years ago, it was around $600. Back then I thought that was a lot of money, but standard for a high quality bullwhip. The prices now are comparable to the price I paid for my new S&W 1917!

It's kinda crazy, but with the drought in Aussieland, I can see the reason. DM does use ample roo hide in his strands.