MK VII Style Custom Laptop Bags...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

MK VII Style Custom Laptop Bags...

Post by swcrazyfan »

I have been reading how many people want a MK VII style bag that is the correct size to fit a laptop and I decided I was up to the challenge. I just received a WPG reproduction that I am gonna use to base my outside pattern off of since I do not have an original yet.. If this works out, would anyone be interested in these? I would make them custom to measurements you give me of your laptop.

I am thinking the outside will have the look of the MK VII but the inside pockets and such will be different; they will have areas for pens/pencils and other places usual for laptop bags. Also, I am thinking I will add a handle to the top for easy carrying. Maybe a pocket the right size for the journal, it all depends of what works the best.

If anyone has any input it would be very appreciated.

I hope to start within the next week and a half and have a prototype in about 2.

Thanks,

Josh
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just make sure you over engineer all the bag seams. Redundency is the watch word here.

The last thing you want to receive is a knock at the door from a frenzied mob screaming for your blood when someone's laptop hit the ground from a seam failing. :shock: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Oh YES, I want one and have been wanting one for a while. I think they'd be fairly popular too. Make 'em strong and sell them with a disclaimer :lol:

Doug C
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yep i would be interested also, i've been kicking the idea around myself for awhile. a good sturdy adventure type bag for my laptop would be great since i'm back in school and lug my laptop around with me all the time.
Jack Flanders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jack Flanders »

This may be heresy, but metal parts may dissuade people from taking them on planes.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yes, but don't forget, every laptop has metal parts to it (gold on the microchips, screws holding the whole thing together, etc), so it won't really matter if the bag does as well. Plus my current computer bag has a metal zipper. :junior: -IJ
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

I´ll definitely ask for one, it´s exactly what I miss :wink:
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Jack Flanders wrote:This may be heresy, but metal parts may dissuade people from taking them on planes.
IndianaJones wrote:Yes, but don't forget, every laptop has metal parts to it (gold on the microchips, screws holding the whole thing together, etc), so it won't really matter if the bag does as well. Plus my current computer bag has a metal zipper. :junior: -IJ
I too was thinking about that. I think I may omit some of the metal pieces mainly because I do not know where I could get them. The metal piece on the right side of the bag seems like it was made for the bags and might not be easily found. It would be great if someone knew where I could pick some up some. I might see if I could have plastic versions of some of the pieces made up so that way they wouldn't have to metal, however, I do not know how long they'd last. I am guessing that the metal pieces could be something that would be added only if the person wants them on theirs. However, I will probably be adding a zipper to the top flap so that when you are carrying it with the handle the bag doesn't open up.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I will have to post my "good n'uff" Indy laptop bag that I made a couple years ago. I ended up sewing some high density foam inside to protect the laptop. Mine is a 17" macbook pro and it fits like a charm....I will post pics when I get a chance...
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

"Over-engineered" is the name of the game. Speaking of which, I would be "game;" my Timbuk2 is looking a tad tired.

Suggestion, make it sufficiently large to accomodate a padded laptop sleeve.

Sincerely,
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Dr.Seuss wrote:"Suggestion, make it sufficiently large to accomodate a padded laptop sleeve.
That is actualy what i was planning on doing.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I don't really need a laptop bag, but I'd love a slightly larger MKVII with the kinds of compartments and such that you're talking about. No handle, just space and better organizational possibilities!

Why not come up with a standard pattern, which could be modified for size (like you said), and come in two versions. The Laptop version might have a couple of things necessary for laptop users (disk pockets, padding, handle, whatever), while the non-laptop version would be more like a messanger bag or brief case on the inside. Just my thought on the project... which I fully support.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I like your idea chewie. i will make the laptop version first and then i will see about making a messenger style.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Leather? Please?

Peace.

Bemo
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

This sounds like a good idea. I don't often carry my laptop around with me, but an MkVII big enough to carry binders and folders with storage for pens and whatnot would be great.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Bemo wrote:Leather? Please?

Peace.

Bemo
I do not have any experience working with leather so if you want a bag made out the entire bag leather, you would need someone else to make them. If you want t have someone make one, I would give them the pattern to make it once I make a working version of it.

If you meant the strap. I do not know weather or not the regular Indy strap would be strong enough because of its width. It might need to be slightly wider to make it stronger, but then I would need someone to make custom buckles and so on. Because of this, I think it will be up the the buyer to buy a strap for the bag. However, I'll look into making straps that are similar to the original MK VII webbed version.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Sorry Crazyfan, I should have been clearer. I really think a bag in leather would be the perfect all-round bag. If you could make the pattern available for someone to do in leather that would be great!

Thanks. Peace.

Bemo
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: MK VII Style Custom Laptop Bags...

Post by joeyofarimathea »

swcrazyfan wrote:I have been reading how many people want a MK VII style bag that is the correct size to fit a laptop and I decided I was up to the challenge. I just received a WPG reproduction that I am gonna use to base my outside pattern off of since I do not have an original yet.. If this works out, would anyone be interested in these? I would make them custom to measurements you give me of your laptop.

I am thinking the outside will have the look of the MK VII but the inside pockets and such will be different; they will have areas for pens/pencils and other places usual for laptop bags. Also, I am thinking I will add a handle to the top for easy carrying. Maybe a pocket the right size for the journal, it all depends of what works the best.

If anyone has any input it would be very appreciated.

I hope to start within the next week and a half and have a prototype in about 2.

Thanks,

Josh

Very cool idea!!!!

Joey-O.A.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I just completed the regular MK VII pattern from measurements on the site and ones I took from my WPG bag. I made it in adobe illustrator. I will take the pattern to modify it for the laptop bag.

I know everyone has also been waiting for someone to post a tutorial/pattern for the regular MK VII, so when I make my first reproduction I will create a Indy section and, inside that, a tutorial section on my website with instructions and photos of the whole process.
Nobody
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nobody »

Cool, I can't wait to see the tutorial.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Bemo wrote:Sorry Crazyfan, I should have been clearer. I really think a bag in leather would be the perfect all-round bag. If you could make the pattern available for someone to do in leather that would be great!

Thanks. Peace.

Bemo
hmmm i work a bit of leather and actually i have some nice oiled utility leather sitting around that could be good for this. if he releases his pattern maybe i'll give it a go.
JR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JR »

This seems like an interesting idea, however a laptop bag with the shoulder messenger/courier style strap would not work for me. The standard weight I carry around is 10 - 18 lbs (It's 14-16 lbs most of the year) so I use a computer backpack for even distribution of weight. I know it sounds heavy, but if my backpack is less than 12 lbs I have to constantly check that my backpack is on my back. No joke, I used to have nightmares back in college. My entire college life (classwork, homework, etc. for all semesters) was stored in my backpack, so the nightmares were about forgetting to get my backpack when I was leaving some place (could be anywhere). Now, you know why I like to carry heavy backpacks. :wink: What can I say, I've got to have my gadgets. I have to carry my laptop (6+ lbs), USB external storage drive (2-3 lbs), cables, diagnostic and other tools, etc. Any chance on a future pattern for a MK VII laptop backpack?
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

Jr. With that bag slapping against your leg with every step, I doubt you'll forget it's there. :lol:
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

I do not have any experience working with leather
CF: try getting some leather and doing a bit of sewing with it. I don't know what kind of machine you have. Mine will do very light leather work, but you need a real 747 for something like a leather bag. There are lots of places where you can get tips on making black powder possibles bags, or working with leather in general. Make a general bag first to get the basics down, then go for it. Leather is a gas to work with for seamsters.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

JR wrote:Any chance on a future pattern for a MK VII laptop backpack?
A messenger bag and a backpack look too different from each other to even be able to tell it was a MK VII style backpack IMO. Is it just me, or does that destroy the point of trying to keep the bag SA? However, I might look into it in the future. For now, the laptop bag is already taking up my time.

You should look up some military backpacks, they might do exactly what you are looking for.
Last edited by swcrazyfan on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Sounds interesting. Of course, you'll need some good padding/cushioning. I might be interested, depending on over all look and price.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I have just finished my first prototype of my MK VII bag. It is basically the same dimensions as the normal bag. I used some cheap denim that is the wrong color for this first prototype just so I can understand how the bag is sewn together. Also, I do not have any of the metal pieces on it except for some snaps.

BTW, does anyone have a very used/falling apart MK VII I could take apart in order to make the pattern accurate? I didn't get the right dimensions from taking a measuring tape to the bag, so this is the most accurate way to get the measurements I need to get correct dimensions.

Here are some pics of my bag. The green one is the WPG reproduction. Sorry for the bad quality photos, I only had access to my camera phone today.

NOTE: This is not anywhere near the final version and not the laptop version.
Nobody
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nobody »

Looks good for a first attempt
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

First try, looks great :D
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

swcrazyfan wrote :
A messenger bag and a backpack look too different to even be able to tell it was a MK VII style backpack IMO.
I agree about the packpack idea, BUT a messenger bag would be identical only longer in length - and that would be a great idea IMHO.

As for your prototype - Yes that does look great - will the laptop bag not be the same general size as a "messenger" bag? I assumed they'd be the same size, only the laptop would be padded. It would be awesome if it was, and the padding was removable (upholstered foam) - so that one could use it as a messenger bag OR a laptop bag. Now that I think about it I'd prob use the messenger bag more and it'd be cheaper to make because of the lack of padding. Perhaps you could market it as an Indiana Jones / MkVII style messenger bag that converts into a laptop bag and could sell the inserts seperately. Just some thought..and great job so far!

Doug C
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

very good looking first attempt! have you thought about what kind of material you are going to make the final product out of? i'm actually having visions of one made out of similar material to what carhartt uses, would be tough as nails.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Doug C wrote:swcrazyfan wrote :
A messenger bag and a backpack look too different to even be able to tell it was a MK VII style backpack IMO.
I agree about the packpack idea, BUT a messenger bag would be identical only longer in length - and that would be a great idea IMHO.
I meant that backpacks look and are made nothing like how a messenger bag is made and looks.
Doug C wrote:It would be awesome if it was, and the padding was removable (upholstered foam) - so that one could use it as a messenger bag OR a laptop bag. Now that I think about it I'd prob use the messenger bag more and it'd be cheaper to make because of the lack of padding. Perhaps you could market it as an Indiana Jones / MkVII style messenger bag that converts into a laptop bag and could sell the inserts seperately. Just some thought..and great job so far!

Doug C
That is actually exactly what I was thinking I would do.
rebelgtp wrote:very good looking first attempt! have you thought about what kind of material you are going to make the final product out of? i'm actually having visions of one made out of similar material to what carhartt uses, would be tough as nails.
I am guessing I will make it out of a tanish green canvas like the originals.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Cool, but really heavy canvas if possible.

Doug C
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Doug C wrote:Cool, but really heavy canvas if possible.

Doug C
thats what i'm thinking, whatever material is used has to be able to hold up to wear and tear along with the usual weight in a laptop bag.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Duck canvas is excellent material. It's the stuff that soft tops on jeeps was made from during WWII.
Very durable.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

SCF:

Excellent trial run/proto type!

Sincerely,