Any thoughts on NH's pants?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Any thoughts on NH's pants?

Post by Magnum »

I really need a new pair of casual/dress pants, and I was wondering what the Noel Howard raiders pants are like. Are they at all close to the Raiders pants as far as the drape, button fly, and material? Are the flap pockets similar at all? I understand that they are wool pants, but do they have any type of a cotton lining to keep the scratchy wool away from the skin if needed? Also, are they durable enough to be worn everyday, all day, and not tear to pieces? What about sizing when i order them? Are the unfinished ones the same thing as the finished ones, just not hemmed? Thanks, I really appreciate any help you might be able to give me with this.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: Any thoughts on NH's pants?

Post by Pyroxene »

Magnum wrote: I understand that they are wool pants, but do they have any type of a cotton lining to keep the scratchy wool away from the skin if needed? Also, are they durable enough to be worn everyday, all day, and not tear to pieces?
I don't own a pair yet but here is what I know about wool Cavalry Twill.
Many of the places that I found selling Calvary Twill trousers were located in the U.K. It is made of the fine wollen-spun yarn. These were and are horse riding pants hence the name Cavalry Twill. It's a strong rugged cloth and the perfect accompaniment for a sports jacket.

As far as the cotton lining, from what I have researched, most English gentleman's pants don't have the lining in it. In some circles, it's considered less masculine to have it in there. More to come....

Cheers,
Pyro.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Any thoughts on NH's pants?

Post by schwammy »

Are they at all close to the Raiders pants as far as the drape, button fly, and material?
Yeah, as far as I can tell, they're the same material, same drape, same button fly. They're quiet stylish and unlike anything else I've ever owned. Old-world quality, if you will. And very Raider-esque. As Rabittooth pointed out, it's really pointless to try to find a close substitute, as there doesn't seem to be one.

Are the flap pockets similar at all?
The flaps are just like in the movies, only they appear to me to be placed a tad higher.

Image Image

Or perhaps my butt's just bigger than Harrison Ford's butt.
The only other inaccuracy I can think of is the buttons appear to be darker than they were in Raiders, and the trousers come with dressy creases that you'll need to iron out for a proper gear look. But, as Henri Defense would say, "Come on! They're Noel Howard pants! Be happy!" (See, Henri, I AM learning...)

I understand that they are wool pants, but do they have any type of a cotton lining to keep the scratchy wool away from the skin if needed?
No lining, so a bit scratchy, but not as bad as perhaps you'd expect.

Also, are they durable enough to be worn everyday, all day, and not tear to pieces?
I would guess that they might be durable enough, but I honestly couldn't wear them every day. They are wool, after all, and I find cotton to be much more comfortable.

What about sizing when i order them?
I have a 34-inch waist, and that's what I ordered, and that's what I got, and they fit perfectly. They're designed to be loose in the legs and closer-fitting in the seat, to show off one's caboose to full effect.

Are the unfinished ones the same thing as the finished ones, just not hemmed?
Exactly. They arrive maybe six inches too long, which is good. Lee Keppler recommends having your tailor hem them with four inches of extra material underneath, to avoid the hem snagging on your Aldens' teeth. I wish I'd known that before I had mine hemmed. They do snag occasionally.
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mystique »

They are rugged to wear everyday, but I usually wear them on special
occasions Not scratchy at all. I bought mine machine made, and they
weren't hemmed. If you are a stickler for fit (which I'm not) get
measured by a clothier or your tailor, and go the extra mile by getting
them handmade. They cost more, but I have never been disappointed
by Noel yet. So if you have the means, get the best! The color is
great and it tends to change depending on if you are in sunlight or
artificial light. Just like in Raiders. Sometimes they are grayish, and
sometimes a more profound taupe. The flaps and button fly are a nice
addition. I have seen Military Officers Pinks, and the NH pants are
almost a dead-ringer in the color spectrum. If you are into cotton twill
check out the Facconable brand Nordstrom carries. They come
unhemmed when you purchase them, and are a very nice Taupe.
Flaps on both rear pockets too!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I like the cotton twill lead. I will need to check that out!

Here is some more information about Cavalry Twill & trousers in general from a book I have:

Cavalry twill is a classic when worn with the a sports jacket, but today this hard-wearing material appeals to fewer and fewer men. It may be because of the color - cavalry twill is usually eggshell, beige, or fawn - or because trousers in cavalry twill can look like the trousers for driving made of synthetic fibers, and regarded, not unjustly, as downmarket, and therefore hardly the correct apparel for a gentleman.

Trousers of good quality are lined down to the knees. In an english suit, however, even a good one, do not be suprised if you feel the fabric itself next to your skin. The British consider long trouser linings an unnecessary luxury even for a rough tweed suit, and a sign of effeminacy.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I love my LLBean Chinos, but I ADORE my NH pants! They're fabulous! The only bad thing, it's the only one too, and not really "bad" - is they are dry clean only, so don't get 'em wet! Shrinksville, USA! Remember in ROTLA when he jumped in the water to swim to the plane? Don't do that! :wink: (In the real world, he had a new pair after that, and besides, it was a stuntman swimming anyway....)
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Thanks, Pyr. That was very interesting.
Minnesota_Jones wrote:Remember in ROTLA when he jumped in the water to swim to the plane? Don't do that! :wink: (In the real world, he had a new pair after that, and besides, it was a stuntman swimming anyway....)
I always thought that Harrison did most of his stunts if they weren't too dangerous. But then....my statement is so trivial and off topic! :roll:

Minnesota Jones, I absolutely agree. Don't get caught in a rainstorm with that wool!

I.J.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Pyroxene wrote:...trousers in cavalry twill can look like the trousers for driving made of synthetic fibers, and regarded, not unjustly, as downmarket, and therefore hardly the correct apparel for a gentleman.[/i]
True, unfortunately. In a certain light, the material does take on the sheen and texture of bad 70s polyester. But a real man isn't afraid of being regarded as 'downmarket.' (At least not here in downmarket southwest Missouri.)
Prof. Fanara
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Prof. Fanara »

Minnesota_Jones wrote:Remember in ROTLA when he jumped in the water to swim to the plane? Don't do that! :wink: (In the real world, he had a new pair after that, and besides, it was a stuntman swimming anyway....)
Drat! So my holiday plans of visiting Kaui and swinging from that vine into the river (where I'll super-impose a plane later with photoshop) in full Indy gear is a bad idea?! :shock: :lol: Drat! it would have been cool though. Not sure if it'd be worth it to ruin $150 pair of pants. :)

Regards,

-Prof. Fanara
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

If you want THE Raiders look you'll have to have them taken in in the butt area and also in the upper thighs. When you get them off the rack, they're just too baggy for the ultimate look. It bothered me for over a year and after I took em' in to get tailored it was a world of difference. Although it you are a heavier person this may not be the way to go. Worked wonders for me though and they look 100% better on my mannequin.
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

Just to straighten things out.

Wool dont scrink just by getting wet. You need soap/detergent and
mecanical working up ( as in a washingmachine).

Scrinking wool be gettin wet only exist in Donald Duck-cartoons.

Infact most wool can be washed in a washingmashine with light movents
and a special detergent.
In fact most wool takes can take a turn in a tumbledryer without any damage, as long as the humid in the texile dont get below 20%.

But You have to know what You are doing, so don´t try this at home :wink:

Best regards
Your wash-expert

Jan