Question on turning the hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Question on turning the hat

Post by JeffB »

I am new here, but have been reading as much as possible. I am looking at ordering an AB pretty soon so I am researching.

Is it the general consensus that the Raiders hat was turned on Harrison's head? Is it uncomfortable to wear a hat this way for prolonged periods?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Question on turning the hat

Post by Indiana G »

JeffB wrote:I am new here, but have been reading as much as possible. I am looking at ordering an AB pretty soon so I am researching.

Is it the general consensus that the Raiders hat was turned on Harrison's head? Is it uncomfortable to wear a hat this way for prolonged periods?
jeffb, welcome to cow!

secondly, why are you trying to start a fight between me and bink? :wink: :lol:

the raiders hat shows up with both the unturned and turned look throughout the movie.

- the unturned version is most prominent in the opening scene before indy goes into the temple. even the bash of the brim is straight down with no swoop
- you can see the turned hat in the idol grab sequence, raven bar, and streets of cairo sequences

if you're getting the turn bashed in by steve, it will already be sitting turned on his block so your headshape won't warp anything. if you get the hat open crowned and turn it, your head will warp the brim giving you the nice raiders swoop. the turn will cause insignificant pressure on your head and regardless, it will relax quite quickly so that the hat will mold to your headshape turn or no turn.

hope that helps.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I had my AB turned by Steve and it was perfectly comfortable - no issues at all...
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

So in the movie, is the hat turned then bashed, or is the hat turned post bash?

I don't remember noticing the front crease being off-center.

Whats the point of turning the hat? Is it the swoop?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i can't confirm when the hat was turned and if it was bashed post or pre as i wasn't there. 3 thou has some interesting theories that it was turned post bash and that the nice little channel on the non bow side is remnants of the original pinch.

there's also alot of speculation as to why the hat was turned. some say that it was turned by nadoolman to give it a very distinct look. some say it was turned to fit on ford's head better as the hero hat was too loose (this is backed up with stories that ford stuffed paper in the sweat to make it fit better).

when the hat is turned in the movie, the pinch still lines up with the bridge of his nose.....not the bottom of his nose cuz everyone knows that has it's own 'turn' in it :lol:
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Can someone explain 'turned'?
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Thanks, and wow. Much more involved than I thought!
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Yep. Turn it. I received my hats, including my AB, open crowned. I turned them, then bashed them. The hat will conform to your head. The look is great! For me, it is the only way to get a good brim swoop.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

I got decent brim swoop out of my unturned akubura, but I still admit my best hat is the turned AB... my AB was shaped 98% by fedora, and 2% by my own peferences (I broght the edges of the brim on the sides up just a hair more)... my akubura is shaped entirely by me... if you want a hat that looks great out of the box I'd go with the bashed AB, its perfect the moment I put it on. The akubera on the other hand went through a month of mediocrity before I got to where I really liked its shape but eitherone is possible...

Edit: also just because it took me a month to get the shape I wanted out of my unbashed akubera doesnt mean an AB or another shapper couldnt do it in much less time... any fedora is always gonna need just a bit of tinkering, for me the bashed AB was perfected much sooner than the unbashed akubera and if you get it bashed --- I recomend getting it turned if your having it custom bashed, and i had my doubts about my skill at turning so I left my hat I shaped myself straigt and its turned out good... but if you've already worn fedoras for awhile dont be so used to putting them on by the bow because it will be off center on a turned hat (I put my AB on crooked a few times after I first got it because I wasnt used to a turned hat)