Optimo Feds Anyone?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Optimo Feds Anyone?

Post by airforceindy »

Has anybody ever had a Federation reblocked by Graham and Kevin at Optimo? Looking for some reference pics....

-Andy
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yep, I bought 2 reg Federations, and one Deluxe back when I bought my Optimos. So, I have had it done by them. They did a good job on the relbocks. My only bit of contention was whomever removed the brand new sweatbands, did not even cut the stitches that attached the sweat to the felt. Someone just grabbed each of the 3 sweats and ripped them out by hand, which destroyed the tape section that is used to sew through in order to reattach the sweats. I wanted to keep the original sweats since these hats were brand new, never worn. There was not enough of the original plactic tape left to adequately sew through, because it tore off in the initial removal. Needless to say, I never used them again. One experience only, and others may have had more satisactory work done by them., But that is my personal experience if it means anything.

Perhaps this is the manner that is used by them to remove old sweats. But, my hat book says to cut the stitches first, and then pull out the sweats. No worry of damage when done in this manner.

So my very biased opinon is they are a bunch of butchers because they are not cheap in their reblocks, and should never just grab any sweat and rip it out without first cutting the stitches. They saved a couple of minutes only in time by ripping them out. Not acceptable to other hatters, that I personally know and talk to. If they try this with an AB, it would completely tear off the tape portion, because I use braided nylon thread to sew in my sweats, and that stuff isn't easy to break by hand.

And a new SAB HJ would lose its brim if the sweat was torn out like this.

If you decide to use them, just specify the Indy block he used for us. It is pretty good. But, remove your own sweatband before you mail the hat off. Just good advice from someone who has already been there and done that.

They do great work otherwise though, from my experience. Fedora
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Steve,
Have you completely stopped doing reblocks on anything but ABs (ie: Akubras)? Or is that still a service that you offer for past/current customers?

Regards, Andy
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

Ive had an Optimo and an Akubra reblocked by Optimo

The optimo looks better than when 1st made

The Akubra is another story,it nvere achieved the same result although unbashed it was the same block