New Member-New Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New Member-New Hats

Post by IndyBrit »

It all started when I needed a costume for a Rugby tour. The theme was heros, I went for Indy. My team won the tourament-Captials Cup in Vienna- and you should have seen my team mates faces when arrived at the tourament dinner. Thanks to COW I had nailed the look. 50 Rugby players belting out the Raiders march was good fun.

So I found this forum in early August and now a the proud owner of an HJ and Fed, plus a Wested jacket, shirt, and a bag from Endicotts. ( I had some close enoughs for the boots and pants.)

I would like to thank all on the forum who are clearly passionate about the gear, where to get it, how to care for it, etc.

Yes, I will post some pics in due course, in the meantime a few words on the Hats.

HJ. Being Brit I went for the HJ first. Lovely hat. However in retrospect I would have asked for the hat to be delivered open crown.

A Fed. What a bargin. Great service,great hat and easy to dry bash. Any newcomers should get this Hat before making the plunge into more upscale options. ( I gave the Fed the turn treatment with good results.)

Thanks again to all on COW. Owning the gear is a lot of fun. Wearing it even more so! You do not see Fedoras in Warsaw.
Indiana Johnson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Johnson »

Welcome, and well met!
First off, congrats on the victory in Vienna. Well done indeed.
That's the two great things about this place, so much good info on great gear, and so many outstanding people. "Come for the gear, stay for the people", my wife says she was astounded to learn there are this many people in the world who love this hobby as much as, and often far more, than me.
Funny enough, the hat is my last piece of gear I need, I have my AB on order. I'm thinking of getting a Fed just to tide me over until then..
Visit often and enjoy.
-Ben
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Ben,

Thanks for the welcome. The Fed is worth every penny. Hats Direct is a great company and as many will testify the hat will arrive quickly. I found a link from one of the forums members for a bash guide that was simple and effective.

Enjoy the Fed!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Welcome aboard, IB! We're generally a good bunch of folks around here, so pull up a chair and relax a while! :wink:
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

Hey IB! Good to see you diving here!

Did you wear your gear while in the Ruck?! :wink:

MJ
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

welcome to the community indybrit :D come over here to the SA stitch nazi camp and bring lots of money!
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Indybrit, welcome to the forum. :D

Which part of England are you from?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana G - you're part of the SA? (Maybe you should change it to "screen accurate" so people don't think you're a real Nazi... :shock: It took me a while to figure out what you meant)

Brit: Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start on your gear - and it'll only get better! I promise!

Go SpringBoks! (I don't really watch, but I have plenty of South African blood!)

Shane
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

The Sturmabteilung (help·info) or SA (German for "Storm division", usually translated as "stormtroop(er)s"), functioned as a paramilitary organization of the NSDAP — the German Nazi party. It played a key role in Adolf Hitler's rise to power in the 1930s.

SA men were often called "brownshirts", for the color of their uniforms, and to distinguish them from the Schutzstaffel (SS), who wore black and brown uniforms (compare the Italian blackshirts). Brown-colored shirts were chosen as the SA uniform because a large batch of them was cheaply available after World War I, having originally been ordered for German troops serving in Africa.

The SA was also the first Nazi paramilitary group to develop pseudo-military titles for bestowal upon its members. The SA ranks would be adopted by several other Nazi Party groups, chief among them the SS. They were very important to Hitler's rise to power until they were superseded by the SS after the Night of the Long Knives.
ha ha! i didn't know that. you're right....i guess i shouldn't use SA and nazi in the same sentence.......nazi's!!!! i hate those guys!!!!
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

To answer a few questions:

I am originally from Yorkshire.

Yes the gear was on for the rucks, but only in the evening!

and the collection is well on the way. ( there will be a short pause while "she who must be obeys" adjusts.)

Give me till the weekend and I will try to post some pics of the gear.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

and the collection is well on the way. ( there will be a short pause while "she who must be obeys" adjusts.)
you have a swimbo do ya? so just do what i did.....get her pregnant and she'll be too preoccupied with the upcoming bundle of joy that she won't notice the extra hats, jackets and whips.........although my wife was bored this morning and decided to count my leather jackets.....i stated in my defense..."those aren't just jackets...those are part of my collectibles"......

i don't think it worked, but regardless i am a firm believer of: the more items you get of a certain piece of gear, the harder it is for your swimbo to keep track of all of them......"oh this jacket....i got this last year.....{rips the price tags off}" :lol:
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Welcome IndyBrit. Taught at Oxford for 13 summers. Love the country. Welcome to COW!
best
Canada
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Welcome to the madness... you came for the gear, but you'll stay for the people.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I loved Oxford - couldn't believe the rivalry between Oxford and cambridge.

Welcome IndyBrit. I can't believe how much time I spend here reading --- I'm doing a doctorate at the moment and can't seem to get away from the IndyGear stuff when I should be reading...
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

nicktheguy wrote:I loved Oxford - couldn't believe the rivalry between Oxford and cambridge.

Welcome IndyBrit. I can't believe how much time I spend here reading --- I'm doing a doctorate at the moment and can't seem to get away from the IndyGear stuff when I should be reading...
I have been to both Oxford and Cambridge but like Oxford better. Now that may be just my own bias from being there for so many years but I just like the layout better. Both are stunning and because education is publically funded I think it is like $3000 a year to go to either place. A real bargain if you live in the UK.
best
Canada