Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Thinking of ordering a Wested

Post by Labbas »

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum but I'm curious about what you think about this. I'm about to order a Wested Raiders jacket and I was going for a custom one. But after measuring myself am I not so sure. When I compared my specs to the standard sizing ones is the standard 46R only about 0.5 inches longer in arm lenght and chest. Should I still go for a custom or will a off rack 46R be pretty near perfect?

Thanks

// Labbas
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Chances are, the off-the-rack will be pretty much perfect... and will reach you a lot faster, too 8)

It really depends whether you want to do anything out of the norm with the jacket, like specify different inside pockets, zips, etc...
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Size may not be the real issue here. Don't forget many people view the Wested as a fantastic jacket that isn't an exact copy of the movie jacket. I'd be more interested in asking Wested for accurate pockets, etc, as these are likely to be "suspect." Check out the many posts on this.

Cheers - CM
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

CM wrote:Size may not be the real issue here. Don't forget many people view the Wested as a fantastic jacket that isn't an exact copy of the movie jacket. I'd be more interested in asking Wested for accurate pockets, etc, as these are likely to be "suspect." Check out the many posts on this.

Cheers - CM
So, the Raiders jacket from Wested is NOT an exact copy of the jacket that appeared in the movie?

Forgive me for asking a question that is probably answered many times....I'm just going blind after reading hundreds of threads about so many variations jacket. :D

Tony
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

It's close but not exact. Lots of small but significant differences. Look over some of the discussions recently between _ and Platon.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Pockets. It's all about the pockets...

Oh, and the inside leather facing... Totally messes up the drape.

Wested's current (standard) jacket offerings represent the evolution of the Indy jacket as a costume piece into a practical jacket, by way of customer feedback and tinkering. Whether that's a good, or a bad thing is completely subjective. Some folks prefer to have a jacket that would withstand the stuff Indy would go through if he were real, while other folks (such as myself) want to have something that looks, feels, and acts exactly like the jacket we see on screen. Though such a jacket might not survive the stuff Indy could throw at it, I personally doubt neither would Indy (if he were real). ;)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

With your sizings a standard jacket should fit fine.

If you are willing to go the extra £20, then you could adjust the pockets/pocket flaps and the remove zipper facing. If you feel it's needed.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I've owned 2 Westeds so far, both of which I got from Lee Keppler.

The first was a Leather Concessionaires that had some minor stitching issues that had to do with accuracy and not construction. It was also a little too short for me. Overall, I loved the jacket; I had distressed it and it looked great.

When I "outgrew" it, Lee was kind enough trade me his own jacket for it, which I have had ever since. That jacket has the Wested label, and also some negligible stitching flaws.

One of the inside pockets sags below the bottom line of the jacket, but is not noticeable enough to be a real problem. One of the sleeves is slightly shorter than the other-- again, not major. The side straps are 5 1/2 inches above the bottom of the jacket, not 5 inches; again, I don't care, they look OK to me.

Jack
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

Since this thread already brought up the questions... I too am planning on ordering one... well aware of it's inaccuracies, but loving it's history. But my big question... which leather?? I've seen posts on the HorseHide... and it looks great... I am interested in durability and wear-ability over screen accuracy, so what's the concensus out there?!?

thanks!!!
-r!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I was digging through my dresser drawer yesterday and came across my Wested leather samples that Peter mailed me last year.

If his horsehide is anything like the sample I have, I'd order a horsehide in a New York minute!

Especially since goatskin is no longer available.

No hesitation at all.

Regards! Michaelson
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

If I may be permitted to piggy-back a question into this thread (rather than starting a whole new thread)...

Am I correct in understanding that the vast majority of issues with Wested jacket "mistakes" are related to the custom orders; that I should have no problems if I order an "off-the-rack" model?
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

That was my impression, and why I'm still moving ahead with Wested. Thanks for the input Michaelson... your opinion means a lot to me!!!

Now if only Peter would answer one of my many attempts at correspondence!!!!!

Peter?!?!?!

PETER!?!?!?!

-r!
indiana lurch
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: In the Dark Den of a school Cafateria, Niagara Falls, Canada

Post by indiana lurch »

Darn Herr Doktor, you beat me to it, I was gonna ask whether or not the people with problems were of the rack or custom orders. Though I am waiting for my custom HH LC jacket, it's been around 21 working days so I'm hoping to hear something soon since I haven't heard anything yet :D
OWJ88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by OWJ88 »

Lurch,
I just recived my predistressed cowhide LC today. They just notified me on Friday 9/14 and I received in on 9/17. The order was a custom order, no major design changes, but still a custom that was placed on 8/11.
For the record, the jacket fits perfect and is just as I asked.
You can expect to hear something any day, I hope.
Keep us posted.

Cheers,
OWJ88
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

:cry:

WAAAAAA!!!!

Peeeeeeeterrrrrrrrr!!!?!?!?!?!?!

I want one now!!!!!!!!
:wink:
-r!
OWJ88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by OWJ88 »

rhboyd wrote::cry:

WAAAAAA!!!!

Peeeeeeeterrrrrrrrr!!!?!?!?!?!?!

I want one now!!!!!!!!
:wink:
-r!
-r
How did you place the order? By phone, email, website? Just curious...
Cheers,
OWJ88
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

Peter and I had one "conversation" via PM... I asked a couple of questions... he answered.... now I'm ready to go, and need clarification on one point of that conversation... and he ain't nowhere to be found!!! Money buring hole in pocket....

wested...

wessssteddddddd......

-r!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

_ wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote:Pockets. It's all about the pockets...

Oh, and the inside leather facing... Totally messes up the drape.

Wested's current (standard) jacket offerings represent the evolution of the Indy jacket as a costume piece into a practical jacket, by way of customer feedback and tinkering. Whether that's a good, or a bad thing is completely subjective. Some folks prefer to have a jacket that would withstand the stuff Indy would go through if he were real, while other folks (such as myself) want to have something that looks, feels, and acts exactly like the jacket we see on screen. Though such a jacket might not survive the stuff Indy could throw at it, I personally doubt neither would Indy (if he were real). ;)
Yikes - Might need to lead that off with, "The following is a paid advertisement..."

_, you and I have never written directly to each other before, so why are you constantly picking on me now? The last three or four posts that I've written you've attacked, and you even dug up a post from a few weeks ago to challenge. Have I done something to offend you? Because frankly, this is getting annoying. If you have something to say to me, just say it, otherwise relax. I'm in this hobby for recreation, and that kind of stress I don't need.
OWJ88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by OWJ88 »

rhboyd wrote:Peter and I had one "conversation" via PM... I asked a couple of questions... he answered.... now I'm ready to go, and need clarification on one point of that conversation... and he ain't nowhere to be found!!! Money buring hole in pocket....

wested...

wessssteddddddd......

-r!
-r
My advice is not to wait for Peter, just place the order online and you can submit special requests. Gemma got back to me in less than 24 hours confirming my special requests. It's up to you, choose wisely.

Cheers,
OWJ88
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

How did my post read like an ad? Labbas specifically stated that he was GOING to buy a Wested, and need advice on whether he should get a standard, or a custom Wested. My response is admittedly wordy, but all I told him was basically to consider that the standard jackets are NOT screen accurate and are more 'Indy-practical', while the screen accurate jackets are NOT 'practical' while they are screen accurate. I've listed a pro and con for custom and standard jacket, which means it's basically up to the individual's needs when he buys the jacket, WHICH he already said he was going to.

That would be as much an advertisement as WANTING to buy IndyGear in the first place, and having a conversation with another customer about the pros and cons of the different variations of a gear from the same vendor. Which is what that post was all about in the first place.

You say it is your 'job' to follow the posts. But do you follow through on your research? Since you are curious why I felt the need to "duplicate a post", I assume then that you have not read the exchange I had with Michaelson in the Indy IV jacket thread, in which I stated my reason for starting two threads.

In the Indy IV Jacket Replica thread that I started (which is now closed down), I had stated that the reason for replicating a jacket that might soon be available was because it represented this fan's dedication in getting what he saw on screen on to his shoulders, vendor accuracy notwithstanding. And we all know that discussions have taken place before about prop-accuracy and screen-accuracy. Yet your post in response to the thread still asked 'what was the point'. I stated what the point was in the opening post, and to be asked a second time what it was seemed a bit hostile.

I've never had anything I never felt comfortable posting, as so evidenced by these posts. If your responses were not meant as attacks, then I may have been a bit too defensive, and I take back what I said. But one certainly can see why I've felt the way I did, and responded the way I did.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

don't worry castor! i'll divert his attention.....

hey _....check out my new wested....it's way better than any G&B that you will ever see....and though i don't have a G&B, i've summized that they're garbage!!!!

{indiana G runs for cover as castor makes his escape}

in no way does the indiana G camp think that expo's are garbage and we truly believe that the jacket, much like the AB, is something that is special as it was conceived by our forefather gearheads at a time when A2's were the only available indy jacket to get. in all reality, G&B may be indy G's next stop for a jacket :D
Last edited by Indiana G on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana G wrote:don't worry castor! i'll divert his attention.....

hey _....check out my new wested....it's way better than any G&B that you will ever see....and though i don't have a G&B, i've summized that they're garbage!!!!

{indiana G runs for cover as castor makes his escape}

in no way does the indiana G camp think that expo's are garbage and we truly believe that the jacket, much like the AB, is something that is special as it was conceived by our forefather gearheads at a time when A2's were the only available indy jacket to get. in all reality, G&B may be indy G's next stop for a jacket :D
G, The Plymouth can not withstand the blast from a well aimed rocket, so don't dive underneath it this time. :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

But the tests show the Plymouth does well in a "nucular" holocaust... :-k
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Beware of whiskey-induced ramblings from N51°23.26032, E000°11.40462... They hold as much water as a sieve...
I googled those corodinance (SP?) That's fairly cool !
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

Wow, lots of stuff happening in this thread!

I thought I should say that after measured a jacket that fits me very well am I gonna order a custom jacket since the numbers was a little bit off. I have pretty long arms and most my pants are low waist so I want a jacket that is a little bit longer than the off rack ones.

I'm not after a screen accurate one. I want a nice jacket that is pretty much like the ones in the movies but fits me in my modern not so adventure filled daily life. Not that often I hang under trucks and stuff!

I've looked at some of the other brands that makes Indy jackets and there are other really nice ones but being an Indy fan makes it feel more right to go after a Wested.

So now when I'm ready to order what is the best way to do it? The order form on the website and put my special lenght request in the "special request box" since the other boxes only asks for chest and arm, or mail them to try to get a personal contact and give them feedback? (Or maybe I'll be lucky to get a personal PM from Peter if he reads this post, or Todd if want to convince in buying from him since he is my second runner up :D )

// Labbas
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

It's ordered so now the waiting begins.

I did call Wested this morning and talked briefly to a girl (she sounded very stressed) who kindly asked me to fill in the form on the web page and so I did. I wrote all my measurements in the special request box and sent the form. One thing freaked me out though. When the "Thank you for ordering page" came up on the screen there was no information under the request section. That part was completely blank so I guess I'll sit here now and bite my nails until some kind of order confirmation, hopefully with my requests on.

// Labbas
OWJ88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by OWJ88 »

Labbas wrote:It's ordered so now the waiting begins.

I did call Wested this morning and talked briefly to a girl (she sounded very stressed) who kindly asked me to fill in the form on the web page and so I did. I wrote all my measurements in the special request box and sent the form. One thing freaked me out though. When the "Thank you for ordering page" came up on the screen there was no information under the request section. That part was completely blank so I guess I'll sit here now and bite my nails until some kind of order confirmation, hopefully with my requests on.

// Labbas
-Labbas
Same thing happened when I placed my order online. Don't worry, when they send you a confirmation email, it will contain your special requests. Mine did and it put my mind to rest. Be patient, Peter and his team will come through.

Cheers,
OWJ88
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Hi, Gemma said she's not stressed but she only came back from vacation yesterday and had to dispatch all the stone washed denim's whilst I was at a funeral. So maybe she was a little.
The answer is that the special requests DO come out on the order form but not on the confirmation. Dont know why.
Cheers
Peter
OWJ88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by OWJ88 »

Peter-
Since I saw you here, I wanted to thank you for my LC predistressed cowhide. It shipped to me in 3 days and came out fantastic. I am very pleased.

Cheers,
OWJ88
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Well, thank you.
Wear and be happy
Cheers
Peter
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

Just got off the phone with Peter... lovely man!

The wheels are in TOTAL motion, and I'm very excited!!!!!
I'll keep y'all posted, and to Peter... thanks for the chat... looking forward to it all!!!

-r!
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

Got the order confirmation and it all looks good! Actually also called before I got it just to check and Gemma said it was all there! (Maybe I was the stressed one when I called, being nervous talking english and stuff :shock: )

Thanks Gemma and Peter! :D Can't wait to get the jacket!

Also big thanks to all on this forum. This is a very friendly place! :D

// Labbas
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

rhboyd wrote:Just got off the phone with Peter... lovely man!

The wheels are in TOTAL motion, and I'm very excited!!!!!
I'll keep y'all posted, and to Peter... thanks for the chat... looking forward to it all!!!

-r!
GOOD for you! Glad you got things on a roll! :D

HIGH regard! Michaelson
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

A big public thanks to you Michaelson, and to _ as well for some sage advice and friendly hand-holding.

yay!!!
-r!
Last edited by rhboyd on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No problem at all. We love to talk 'shop'. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
indiana lurch
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: In the Dark Den of a school Cafateria, Niagara Falls, Canada

Post by indiana lurch »

Ok, I'm worried....everyone seems to have recieved a conformation email from Wested...but I didn't get one. They did charge my credit card the next day. And now I just recieved an email from Gemma (after I sent one asking how my order was going, I'm getting worried :shock: ). She asked for a order number but I never recieved an order number. Should I be worried????
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Michaelson wrote:I was digging through my dresser drawer yesterday and came across my Wested leather samples that Peter mailed me last year.

If his horsehide is anything like the sample I have, I'd order a horsehide in a New York minute!

Especially since goatskin is no longer available.

No hesitation at all.

Regards! Michaelson
Since our conversation Michaelson you have me thinking about ordering a horsehide from Wested. It really does look great.
Canada
ps. How long is a New York minute?
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

Canada Jones wrote:
ps. How long is a New York minute?[/quote]

A New York Minute is a really bad movie with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen

only 91 minutes, it just SEEMS like forever, nominated for two razzies, both as worst actor, and both for worst couple.....
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Dostacos wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:
ps. How long is a New York minute?

A New York Minute is a really bad movie with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen

only 91 minutes, it just SEEMS like forever, nominated for two razzies, both as worst actor, and both for worst couple.....[/quote]

Won't ask you how you know that. I taught a girl once who went to school with MK and Ashley.
Canada
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

Great that you'll get the jacket Labbas, och välkommen till forumet förresten. :wink:

Awesome to see another Swede joining, hoping that you'll be the fourth of the "big three". :lol:
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

Haha, tackar för välkomnandet Railok! :D

Do you have a jacket? I'm a bit curious if it can be used as a winter jacket in our cold country? Not that our last winters has been so cold but anyway! :)
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

Ingen orsak! :D

Yes, I actually have a Raiders wested. And yes, it could be used. I've used in the cold nights in Sweden, Italy and England. It holds perfectly!
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

Ah, music to my ears. Was affraid I was only going to be able to wear the jacket a couple of months a year!

One thing that keeps bugging me now after reading a big number of threads here and looked at many great jackets... should I've ordered it with gussets or not. Before reading this forum I didn't even know what it was! :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Gussets are always useful, especially if you do a lot of driving as they give more forward and upward arm mobility without losing sleeve length in the move.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

Thanks for the tip Michaelson.
Guess I now have to think about if I dare to send a mail about another change to my order. Can't be easy handling orders at Wested with peeps like me in the world.
:D
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Michaelson, would you suggest single or double gussets? What would hte pros/cons be?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I have double gussets myself because they look cool and at the time of ordering they were the preferred version.

Välkommen till COW. I've worn mine during the Finnish winter, fine down to like -10 to -15 degrees Celsius.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

VP wrote:I have double gussets myself because they look cool and at the time of ordering they were the preferred version.

Välkommen till COW. I've worn mine during the Finnish winter, fine down to like -10 to -15 degrees Celsius.
I have never seen double gussets on a Wested. Great photo. What is the preferred version these days - single gussets?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Single and slim gussets. Here are some 10min old pics (the first one was 15mins after receiving):

Jacket zippered Treasure of the Templars style.

rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

holy spit is that pretty....

what hide is that???

-r!