If Indys 'Traveling Hat' Is Supposedly Grey,Then Why,,,,,

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

If Indys 'Traveling Hat' Is Supposedly Grey,Then Why,,,,,

Post by Texas Raider »

Then why is his Venice hat a nice,brand new brown hat? I still don't buy this theory. I think it's just something Spielberg has concocted recently,with the advent of Indy IV.
Comments?
(TR runs for cover under the Plymouth)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Actually this was explained to one of our sources. But we'll have to wait until he can talk openly to reveal it.

Sorry for the suspense. :wink:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

TR - They have Top Men working on this problem right now. Who? Top... Men.
Indycop
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycop »

_ wrote: in RotLA he was traveling in a blue suits, while in LC he traveled in a more informal brown suit..
Informal brown SUIT? I guess I'm gonna have to recategorize my dress JEANS! :roll:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Back then there were catogorizations of suits, especially when compared to today's standards. Heck, even nowadays there are some differences. For instance, a black two or three-piece suit is more conservative and formal than a light blue or tan suit. Back in the day, the cut and style of the jacket also had something to do with it. Think about it, if you had two suits right now -- a three-piece wool, dark navy blue suit and a light brown, two-piece modern suit with a courderoy jacket -- and you were asked to wear a formal suit, which would you choose?
Indycop
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycop »

:shock: actually I probably wouldn't fit in either! :roll:
I've never owned a brown suit come to think of it. Just black, blue, and gray.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Had to grin the other night. I was watching an old 'Murder She Wrote' program where she was telling about a murder that took place on the Queen Mary, and the entire show was shown in flash back.

The hero/detective in the program wore a brown 3 piece suit with a very nice grey fedora with bound edge......so they're still mixing and matching in Hollywood to this very day. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

So you've been checking out MurderSheWroteGear.com, too, eh? :wink:
Indycop
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycop »

So if indy did travel with a grey fed sometimes then where did he put the brown one? Did he just stuff it in the suitcase?
fatwoul
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fatwoul »

Indycop wrote:So if indy did travel with a grey fed sometimes then where did he put the brown one? Did he just stuff it in the suitcase?
Come to that, how did his grey fed survive to the end of RotLA? After everything he went through in the movie, his luggage somehow made it home safely? Wow. Pan-Am sure went downhill later, huh? :lol:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Back then there were catogorizations of suits, especially when compared to today's standards. Heck, even nowadays there are some differences. For instance, a black two or three-piece suit is more conservative and formal than a light blue or tan suit. Back in the day, the cut and style of the jacket also had something to do with it. Think about it, if you had two suits right now -- a three-piece wool, dark navy blue suit and a light brown, two-piece modern suit with a courderoy jacket -- and you were asked to wear a formal suit, which would you choose?
I'm read "Hatless Jack" right now and it says that during that time period for a gentleman to be prepared for the world, according to an old circular, he would need to have at least 12 hats!!!

Now, I'm sure Doctor Jones had more than one hat. And could in fact have a nice hat for travel. They did dress up for Travel back then. If a brown Fedora was his preference, then maybe he had them with different front pinches. I'm willing to bet a few people on this site have a few fedoras with different pinch sizes :-k
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Indycop wrote:So if indy did travel with a grey fed sometimes then where did he put the brown one? Did he just stuff it in the suitcase?
He probably had a traveling hat box - you can still get them but they are not cheap...
Indycop
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycop »

I can't see him having to many hats myself. He wore the same outfit all the time. And I think he only took the one suitcase cause he also just threw his gun right on top which to me says he wasn't to picky with how he packed just what he packed.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Actually, you only saw "one" suitcase being packed on screen, with gear. Doesn't mean that was the only suitcase or baggage he brought along.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

It is very simple. The dude had more than one hat, just like everybody else in those days. When Indy wore a nice suit, he did not wear his dirty, beat up, shot at, swam through a river, drug behind a truck, spider web covered, brim warped, sweat stained, Hovito chased, sun bleached, been in a jungle, out in the desert, filthy, old adventure hat that he liked to wear with his brown leather jacket when he was out in the field. When he dressed in a nice suit, he wore a nice hat to go with it.

He is a fictional character and you can not rationalize how he carried two hats with him anymore than you can rationalize how he traveled from out in the middle of the sea to an island, on the outside of a submarine. In the novelization, it was explained that he lashed his whip to the periscope, and hung on while the submarine was submerged. Yeah, right!

I find it very hard to believe that someone can skip right over that fact with their suspension of disbelief still intact, and yet they absolutely cannot fathom that Indy had an adventure hat that he wore out in the field, and a nice travel hat that he would wear when he had on a nice suit. DUH! #-o :rolling:
Indycop
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycop »

:roll: I just like the hats actually
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

... How did Luke Skywalker go to the bathroom in his x-wing....
the same way the astronauts on the shuttle go to the bathroom....the real question is how does darth vade go to the bathroom? i figure it's a big ordeal....kinda like when you suit up for hockey and then you feel the urge to go. that ***** :lol:

but to stay on topic, do you think indy would pack his brown fedora into a hat box and pay the extra coin for the extra piece of luggage or just stuff that ratty thing in with his jacket, bullwhip, and gun? i would guess the latter.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indiana G wrote:but to stay on topic, do you think indy would pack his brown fedora into a hat box and pay the extra coin for the extra piece of luggage or just stuff that ratty thing in with his jacket, bullwhip, and gun? i would guess the latter.
That's how he got the reverse taper in his hat.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

:idea: Possible theories:
- He had a hat box that was tall enough to keep the crown from getting crushed, but short enough to fit in his suitcase;
- He had a block that he would fit inside the crown when packing it;
- He stuffed his socks and underwear inside the crown before packing the hat (this seems the most efficient idea...). :-k

Ron
Last edited by Captain Ron Solo on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Okay, folks, let's keep this one on track and away from political and inappropriate banter.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yep. :wink:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

You are comparing two different films.

Indy's travelling hat in Raiders was grey, in LC it was brown.

This truly is the Frankenstein of all topics! It just keeps getting reanimated! :lol:

Al
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Indiana G wrote:....kinda like when you suit up for hockey and then you feel the urge to go. that ***** :lol:
Ohhhh! Flashback. Years ago, playing when having a real bad flu. The fun of it was trying to half strip down/fit in the stall with my goalie equipment as the intermissions were too short. I think we won, but by the end I was too delirious to care.

Then there was the time I thought the ice was pink because I was playing on pain killers for my separated shoulder... but thats for another time.

...grey.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

ob1al wrote:You are comparing two different films.

Indy's travelling hat in Raiders was grey, in LC it was brown.

Al
Thanks, Al. That was a point that I failed to make. Like I said, the dude had more than one hat.

Heck, even I have more than one hat. And, I have both gray and brown. Now, are we going to have 150 pages of discussion about how Buff carried two hats to the Finger Lakes Summit? I certainly hope not.
(hint: I wore my brown with my brown leather jacket, and my gray with my blue suit. Sound familiar?)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wear my gray with my brown jacket all the time. No one at Wal-Mart seems to care. :-k :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: If Indys 'Traveling Hat' Is Supposedly Grey,Then Why,,,,

Texas Raider wrote:Then why is his Venice hat a nice,brand new brown hat? I still don't buy this theory. I think it's just something Spielberg has concocted recently,with the advent of Indy IV.
Comments?
(TR runs for cover under the Plymouth)
Indy's travel hat in Raiders was gray. Indy's travel hat in LC was brown.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

wear my gray with my brown jacket all the time. No one at Wal-Mart seems to care.
........... :lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

You should see some of the things that I have seen people wear at Walmart. :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Pssst! Hey, _....I think I hear bink running down the hall now. Boy, are YOU gonna get it!!! [-X

Regard! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

_ wrote:
Bufflehead Jones wrote:You should see some of the things that I have seen people wear at Walmart. :shock:
The scary thing is what they do NOT wear... :shock: Like watching two dogs fighting under a blanket... :shock:

Sorry bink...

That was so wrong!!! :rolling:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: If Indys 'Traveling Hat' Is Supposedly Grey,Then Why,,,,

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Bufflehead Jones wrote: Indy's travel hat in Raiders was gray. Indy's travel hat in LC was brown.
Actually, since Indy's LC hero hat is just dusty, not beat-up, his LC travel hat could have been the same hat, minus the dust! Maybe we just didn't see the gray travel hat because because Indy hat already switched! :twisted:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Part of me is thinking that the notion that Jones wore two different fedoras kind of makes sense because he was a well educated and well paid man (Scoundrel, Gentleman… which is it?)

But with all the traveling I’ve been doing, it’s pretty hard to travel with one fedora on your head and another one packed away nice and safe somewhere with out a lot of luggage and a proper hat-box. I’ve always figured Jones to be someone who traveled light.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

He travels with his nice hat on his head. His beat up hat gets thrown in a suitcase and he slams the lid shut.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

O.K. here's the deal- Spielberg has made no discernment between movies, he has simply stated that Indys travel hat is grey. Obviously this is inconsistent,that's why I think it's just some half baked idea he's come up with after the fact,and heck he may just use the idea in the new movie,but that doesn't change what's already on film. I'm also trying to stay in real world production here,,not what the character would do. My main debate is with this new 'travel hat' idea that's newly come to light.

TR
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Okee dokee. ;-) hadn't heard the brown travel hat confirmation.

TR
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Oh,no,no,I'm still brown hat man,not that itreally matters to me anymore. I just don't buy a 20 year old memory of a 60 some-odd year old dude that suddenly just says the hat was a grey 'travel hat'. My eyes tell me different. I'm just not interested in debating it anymore. ;-)

TR
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Sorry if I missed an obvious link somewhere, but where did Spielberg confirm all of this?

Definitely grey in Raiders and brown in LC.

Adios,
Satipo
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Texas Raider wrote:Oh,no,no,I'm still brown hat man,not that itreally matters to me anymore. I just don't buy a 20 year old memory of a 60 some-odd year old dude that suddenly just says the hat was a grey 'travel hat'. My eyes tell me different. I'm just not interested in debating it anymore. ;-)

TR
:rolling:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Oh yeah, TR, it's an Abner jacket too...... 8) :lol:

...and before anyone asks, yes, _ is serious.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

:lol: :wink: I love this place!

TR
Last edited by Texas Raider on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Whew!!! #-o I guess I can crawl out from under the Plymouth now. :D :wink:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I'm also trying to stay in real world production here,,
I think the real world operates like this. Costumers make errors. Pre production and even production is pure chaos. Perhaps a gray hat was overlooked by TLC costumer, or it was not brought to the set the day it was needed. So, they used a brown hat that was there instead. Stuff like this happens. If I were a betting man, I would bet stuff like this even happened in the new film. And not just once. In a perfect world, everything runs like a fine time piece. In the real world that is pure fantasy. Fedora
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I figured it's time someone posted some pics.

I'd have to agree with the theory that while Indy wore a grey fedora in Raiders, his Venice Pier fedora was his regular adventure fedora. There's nothing in this scene to suggest that the hat he's wearing is any different than the "one" we see throughout the rest of the movie.

Incidentally, did anyone ever notice that the grey hat was a down-turn brim?

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Mark Brody wrote:I'd have to agree with the theory that while Indy wore a grey fedora in Raiders, his Venice Pier fedora was his regular adventure fedora.
Ummm, no. In the Venice Pier scene, he is wearing his brown travel hat. It is a nice clean dress hat. It is not his beat up, dirty, adventure hat.

When you wear a suit, do you wear a dirty, old, beat up shirt with it? I don't think so.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

No, I wouldn't wear a dirty beat up hat with a suit. But since the movies are fiction, his indestructible hat could pop right back into shape and clean itself off at the end of every adventure.

The way I see it, there are two options. Indy has either had one, and only one adventure hat that he wears through all 3 (or 4) films, or he's had a different hat for each adventure. If it's the same hat, how do you explain how his hat could look so nice at Castle Brunwald after its abused appearance on the streets of Cairo? If it's a different hat for each adventure, than there's no reason it shouldn't look pristine at the Venice Pier.

In LC, the hat does get progressively dirty as the movie rolls on. In San Francisco and at the pier, it's perfectly clean. In the motorcycle chase, it gets a little dirty (and than a little more in the desert). Than he finally gets cobwebs all over it before the breath of God. By the end of the movie, I would no longer wear that hat with a nice suit, but it is clearly the same hat that he wore at Brunwald. When he wore it at Brunwald, the hat was definitely suitworthy.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

All nice arguments. And, yes Indy is a fictional character. But, your argument doesn't take into account that the award winning director of the movies has said adamantly on numerous occasions, that it is his idea, that Indy has a nice travel hat and he has his adventure hat, which really does make sense. It is his movie, who are we to argue?

What is your argument going to be when Indy has two or more hats in Indy IV? It is directed by the same guy and he hasn't suddenly changed his mind.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:All nice arguments. And, yes Indy is a fictional character. But, your argument doesn't take into account that the award winning director of the movies has said adamantly on numerous occasions, that it is his idea, that Indy has a nice travel hat and he has his adventure hat, which really does make sense. It is his movie, who are we to argue?
The fans; the ones who keep his movies alive ;)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

You can be a fan all you want. But, you are not the one that films and edits the movies. You can't change the content. He makes it, the way he sees it. As the director, it is ultimately his vision.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Unless they used to make color changing hats in the 30's, Indy obviously has at least two hats. I've never heard this interview where Spielberg talks about Indy's multiple hats, but if all he said was that Indy has a nice travel hat, that only confirms that he has a nice travel hat (most likely the grey one in Raiders). I haven't seen the interview, so I don't know if he went so far as to say the brown hat in Venice was also a travel hat. If it is, I really don't care that it's a different hat.

If you know where I could find that interview, I'd love to read/see it. Otherwise, I guess we'll each just imagine it however we choose. In the end, this is just a minor detail anyway.