Whip Makers Unite! (Questions about making whips)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

McFly
Scoundrel

Whip Makers Unite! (Questions about making whips)

Post by McFly »

I'm interested in hearing stories from those of you who know how to make whips. Why did you want to learn? How did you learn? Do you think it's very difficult? How long did it take you to get the hang of things? Is it expensive to make whips? What do you recommend (tips, etc) to people wanting to learn? :)

Thanks guys!

In Christ,
Shane
Last edited by McFly on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Shane,

I wanted to learn because after tearing up the end, I looked at the whip and decided I could make it if I knew how.
I learned over the course of 2 years and several thousand $$ in roo skins from David. I'd go back to his shop, show him what I did, we'd talk for an hour, he might show me a thing or two (mostly, we'd talk), and I'd buy another one or two skins and go off again. I really stepped up when I spent a few Saturdays braiding alongside him.
It's not difficult to learn, but it's impossible to learn well on one's own. About three years before I could produce consistent work. 5 years made a big difference, too. That was when I really hit my stride.
The materials can be expensive, see my comment above about the cost.
Always, always, always take measurements and write them down. I made three whips in succession, thinking I was smart enough to remember how I did the last one. I wasn't. But, I made two whips immediately after that, wrote the measurements, and used interpolation and extrapolation to make the measurements for many other lengths of whips, which has always proven correct. Also, don't be afraid to take apart the piece of @#$% you just created to try fixing what went wrong.

There are only about two whips I've ever made that I REALLY didn't want to give up. One went to _, and the other to a magician in the midwest. I don't know if _ still has it, but I'd like to see a picture of it. I still remember what it looks like.

Also, try to find someone that will teach you.

I also wanted to learn because I wanted many different kinds of whips, and am a cheap S.O.B.

Once I get back to the states and start up again, I'm going to keep my prices back down at the same cost because I'm sure there are other cheap brothers-in-arms out there.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

C'mon, people. :!: Shane has questions. It's not like whipmaking is an esoteric art.

Waiting.....
Paul
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

:D You rock, Paul! I'm glad somebody read this thing. Thanks for helping me replace that fall too, when I needed help.

What's the cheapest kind of hide to buy to be able to make whips out of? I'm sure it's a bad idea to make one's very first whip out of roo hide. What's a good hide to start with? And where do you get them?

Be sure to let me know when you're back in the states and making whips again! I love my whip. I've just never been 100% satisfied with the color. Needless to say I'm not letting go of this whip, but another wouldn't hurt. :D

In Christ,
Shane
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I wanted to learn to make whips because I wanted a leather whip and at the time the only way for me to get one was to make it. It was around when I was 10-11 that I learned to braid, and threw together my first whip with only very basic knowledge. So this was all before I knew a thing about the internet.

Making a whip can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. The most basic whips can be just a flexible stick with a leather lace tied onto the end of it. Or you can make a 64 strand kangaroo whip as Bernie Wojicki can do.

How long does it take to get the hang of it? Some people here on the board seem to have a natural talent and make nice-looking whips the first time out. My first whips cracked okay, but it was a few years before I worked out all the bugs. And after starting to make whips full time it took me about a year to work out the bugs in all the different models I was offering so that I could offer a consistent product.

For starting materials, I started with scrap leather from a shoe factory and practiced cutting strands from the pieces, then braiding them up, until I got the hang of both cutting and braiding. The scraps were cowhide. Then I found pieces of leather big enough to cut out a whole whip. So, I'd say go to a leather store, find the cheapest leather, practice with that, and when your skills improve, it'll be worth the investment to buy more expensive leather.

-Adam
www.myspace.com/adamwinrich
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I've been making whips for about a year and for that year I've had my blog that I've been writing in almost daily with a lot of pictures of the whips I've made. You can see my blog at http://www.bullwhips.org.

You don't need much to get started...some leather and a knife of some sort. I started out with scrap leather from a bin at a local leather place that sold scrap leather for something like $2.00 a pound.

One thing I wish I did was start cutting freehand much sooner (not using a strand cutter).

Louie
Mr. Kent
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Kent »

What type of materials are necessary to cut and prepare the leather for braiding? Can someone get inexpensive stuff at a local hardware store, that would be suitable for a beginner who doesn't want to invest the correct tools???
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Scrap or cheap leather will braid, too, so don't knock that off the list. As a learning tool, it's worth it.

I use hobby knives that have the snap off blades, with something like 13 different places on the blades to snap off and start with a fresh portion. I don't hate sharpening knives, but don't want to waste 10 minutes getting a knife really sharp when I can grab the old hobby knife and go. Plus, they're cheap. I managed to get David using them for some parts of his cutting, so they can't be all bad.

Best Regards,

Paul

Thanks, all, for responding to Shane! Inquiring minds want to know.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Shane, You'r getting great tips and advice from these guys. While I am by no means making 12 plaits Indy style whips yet, I can say that I make pretty honest and hard working red hide & deer skin stock and bullwhips and that’s a step in the right direction. Not every one I’ve made is pretty, but they all have a good balance and crack nearly effortlessly.

I wanted to learn how to make whips because I’d been cracking them for a long time, knew how they where made and I wanted to see if I could make them. I wanted to know that I could be able to take the raw materials and make a sturdy functioning whip that worked the way it was supposed to. I didn’t feel like I could take my whip cracking to the next level until I actually started making them myself and understanding that process better with more actual hands on experience. That and it seemed like a fun challenge.

So I first started learning by learning how to do repair work on whips, by replacing falls, changing a broken strand here and there, re plaiting points. As I became more confident I started taking some junk whips apart, the leather was good so I started rebuilding them from the core up. Then I tackled some "do it yourself" whip making kits after making them, taking them apart and making them again until I was satisfied with the results, I finally bought some leather cutting sets and working from there.

I don’t know if I would call it difficult, but it can be challenging. Like any new skill you have to work at it, learn as much as you can about it, and practice and keep at it. It can be frustrating at times. There will be moments when you want to throw that jumble of leather strands on the ground and kick it across the room while cussing up a storm, but there will be other times that you get so focused you work on it all night long and not even realize it and when your done you can have something you can be proud of.

How long did it take me to get the hang of it? honestly, I’m still getting the hang of things. There’s always some new challenge or new trick to learn to improve a design to make a better whip.

I think Adam hit the nail on the head with cost, Learning how to make whips isn’t cheep but its not overly expensive though either. You need to get the raw materials, the leather, hardware and any books or videos that might help you, and a few basic tools; especially if you don’t have a whip maker you can work with to teach you. You can find most of the stuff you need at a Tandy’s leather store. Leather, Nylon sinew, Aussie leather dressing for plaiting soap, bees wax, even an Aussie style strander to cut the leather. Though I'd duggest skipping the strander and learning to cut freehand with a razor knife.

Practice on cheaper cuts of leather or even scrap if you can find it. A lot of whip makers in recent years have started out using nylon para cord for making whips, as its cheaper and doesn’t have to be cut, tapered and skived, but it presents other challenges all its own. No mater how careful or patient you are though You are going to go through a lot of materials while your learning before your really satisfied with the whips you make, especially if you ever want to sell them. But its cheaper in the long run if you can stay with it and lean to make your own high quality whips where you can sell them from time to time to support your interest. Unfortunately though I’ve never known any one who’s who’s gotten rich making whips. :lol:

Start learning as much as you can about whipmaking. Its best to have some one to teach you, but read up, There are books, videos, even websites dedicated to whip making, showing how to make them from start to finish. There is a lot of information here on the Bullwhip Forum as well. Join up with the whip plaiting groups and get the news letters. Talk to whip makers like your doing now, make connections and contacts so that you can ask questions, especially specific questions, but keep in mind that If you ask 10 different whip makers how to make the best whip best, you’ll most likely get 10 different answers. Take good notes, you’ll think you’ll be able to remember everything but trust me, you won’t.

A lot of people want to start out by being able to making whips like Paul, Adam, or Simon Martin or Chris Barr right from the get go, but there are very few who have the natural talent to do that or even come close to doing that. Consider whip making as much a learning process as actually learning how to use a whip. Learn in steps.

Personally, I’d recommend starting out basic and getting a good foundation knowledge. I know most here are interested in bullwhips, but if you really want to learn how to make a good whip, try making 4 plait stock whip first, Check out some of the kits that are sold, they come with everything you need and instructions on how to making them and give a good basic foundation of whip making. After you get those foundations, buy a strip of leather and cut the sets yourself and make another that way. After you’ve made a few good 4 plait whips, make some 6 plaits or 8 plaits and add a plaited belly, then two, and so on then move on to making bullwhips too. If your not satisfied with it, like Paul said, take it apart and rebuild it until your satisfied that you have made a good whip.
Once I get back to the states and start up again, I'm going to keep my prices back down at the same cost because I'm sure there are other cheap brothers-in-arms out there.
Paul, I take it your planning on moving back to the U.S.?

Dan
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

I guess is my turn... :)

I wanted to write before, but I had no time, as I was trying to finish asap three 10 foot Raiders for a customer. I'm really happy how they turned out, so I thought I'd post a pic of them (below).

I got inspired to try my had at whipmaking after I received my first Morgan whip, in 2000. I think I spent literally hundreds of hours just staring at it! Then I decided to make the closest possible whip but using cowhide, since that was the hide that I had readily available. That was the challenge for me. It was only after sometime that I found that David Morgan himself started making whips using cowhide too (kip).

The first thing I did was to get all the books I could to gather as much information as possible. I found that there was (and still there isn't) a single book out there that will tell you exactly how to make bullwhips, much less Indy whips, so I used a bit of every book.

I specially remember a little booklet by Dennis Rush...what a useless piece of @#$%! The few parts that are worthy are a copy of Ron Edwards book How to Make Whips. All the rest of the instructions are, in a word: WRONG. Unfortunately I found this after making my first whip. The author said he learned a lot from David Morgan (through phone calls), and maybe he did, but he clearly did not pass on the knowledge in his book. Had the book had softer pages, it would have been great as toilet paper...

Then I started asking questions to a few whipmakers. Some basic help came from Paul Stenhouse, to who I'm grateful for. Then when my questions became more advanced and Indy whip-specific, Paul was reluctant to help me because he didn't want any more competition, so I figured out that if David Morgan helped him, he would help me as well, and as you know, he did! In this sense, I am also grateful to Paul because I would'n have ever dared to contact Mr. Morgan in the first place if were not for him. Also most helpful, friendly and generous have been Joe Strain, Paul Nolan, Russel Schultz and Adam Winrich.

Early on I figured out that I needed to sell my whips in order to have more money to spend on leather, so I started selling them on ebay, and shortly after I offered my "cowhide" Indy to Western Stage Props, which they liked a lot, and I started supplying them that model, (I still do) along with a few kangaroo Indy whips.

For me it's been difficult and it has taken me a lot of effort to get where I am now, but it's been a fun and rewarding experience. I'm doing this full time almost four years now, and I can tell you it's been probably the most exciting four years of my life.

For some it is more difficult than others, and that varies acoording to your ability I guess, or if you have any background in handcrafts. Apparently for our fellow member Nammann/Nick things have been really easy as he is turning out some really fine looking whips in record time. Perhaps he can chime in here and tell us his story. I, for one, am very intrigued and impressed by his whipmaking ability.

I disagree with the notion that you need a whipmaker next to you to become good. Obviously you'll need some advise, but you can get good results on your own. Also, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars in skins. Try to get a good inexpensive cowhide, not too thick, (4 oz tops) and work with that. When I started importing kangaroo everything seemed really easy, as working with cowhide is more difficult.

Another thing that helped me is to have whips from other whipmakers to analize and study. One good thing about becoming a whipmaker is that it gave me an official excuse to buy more whips! I have just ordered another one, and my list is very long!

Well, I think that wraps it up. I got too long winded this time! :)

Hope all of the above helps to those of you who are thinking in making your first whip. Oh! almost forgot: it is very addictive! although a good addiction it is.

Regards,

Bernardo

www.delcarpiowhips.com

The triplets:

Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Dan,

Yep, I'm moving back. NZ didn't quite turn out to be the mecca I thought it would be. But, it's been a great adventure.

Bernardo, nice pictures, and very nice looking plaiting. Makes me wish I was plaiting right now!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Paul, Nothing ventured nothing gained. I give you alot of credit for going in the the first place, but alot of whip enthusists will be very glad to have you back in the U.S. and back in the whipmaking game again.

Bernardo, great looking bullwhips.

Dan
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

I’ve only made one whip and it turned out ok. I still plan on making another but just got a mini mill and mini lathe which has taken my time also.

I originally wanted to buy my whip but the person wasn’t making them at the time. The money and TIME put into making your first whip pretty much says, you should have just bought the whip. But after it’s all said and done you’ll be glad you tried and you can say, I made this.

I used two books for reference, David Morgan’s “Whips and Whipmaking 2nd Ed” and Ron Edwards’ “How to Make Whips.” The other info I asked here and the whip makers have always been helpful with any question.

Difficult? I see it as two parts, one is theoretical, draw your plans all out with all your calcs, lengths, materials, etc. till it all looks like it will work and start cutting. The second part is practical, the part where you don’t know what you’re doing. Cutting strands is difficult to keep nice and neat while not going at a snail’s pace. You didn’t know the leather was going to stretch to be so thin. Dropping strands seems odd at the beginning. Then there’s the knots. There’s really no “getting the hang of it” if you’re a one timer.

Taken the time it takes and mistakes you make to the leather is can be expensive. Is your time worth making it yourself and it not turning out so well? In which case it would have been cheaper to buy from one of these guys where the quality has well been spoken for.

Tips: listen to these guys, ask them questions till you think you’re bugging them, practice cutting strands freehand.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Where would one learn how to craft whips?