Hats as Microcosm of Film...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fatwoul
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Hats as Microcosm of Film...

Post by fatwoul »

I've only been here a short while, so forgive me but...

If someone asked me to rank the three movies so far in order of how good they were, I would say:

RotLA
LC
ToD

I don't appear to be alone in this.

What is interesting to me is that this is exactly mirrored in the popularity of the hat from each movie - RotLA being the one most people like most, ToD the least.

It's made me wonder whether this can be extended into each film. For example, do the weakest scenes from each film have the least popular hats? Do the really famous, popular scenes tend to have the popular bashes?

In some ways I guess it's pretty obvious that the scenes everyone knows and loves are bound to have the more influential hat styles in them, because those would become the bashes everyone would naturally associate with the movies, and the character.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the hats were actually deliberately styled differently for different scenes, to create different effects (make him look shorter or taller, throw shadows in different directions, etc), or are most of these serendipitous, and just what we have come to know and associate with those scenes?

Anyway, discuss, unless it already has been, then just tell me to shut up. :D
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Hats as Microcosm of Film...

Post by Dr.Seuss »

fatwoul wrote:Is there any evidence to suggest that the hats were actually deliberately styled differently for different scenes, * * * or are most of these serendipitous, and just what we have come to know and associate with those scenes? Anyway, discuss, unless it already has been, then just tell me to shut up. :D
My guess is, using "serendipitous" scared everyone away. I recommend liberal uses of "anecdotal."

Provocative question, however, I do not have the necessary hat lore to even begin to surmise.

Sincerely,
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Hats as Microcosm of Film...

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

fatwoul wrote:It's made me wonder whether this can be extended into each film. For example, do the weakest scenes from each film have the least popular hats? Do the really famous, popular scenes tend to have the popular bashes?

In some ways I guess it's pretty obvious that the scenes everyone knows and loves are bound to have the more influential hat styles in them, because those would become the bashes everyone would naturally associate with the movies, and the character.
I think your second paragraph best says it... Seems to be the choice of scenes CAUSE the hat preference, and not the other way around. For example, everyone who wanted to have a hat from the trilogy would want a hat from their favorite scene, and not the other way around.

Otherwise, seems that any correlation made here would be simply an illusory correlation. ;)
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

It depends which crowd you're talking to when you ask about someone's favorite Indiana Jones movie. Most true Indy fans will say the original is the best. Most casual fans prefer Last Crusade because it's a little more humorous, and it's got Sean Connery added to the cast. Last Crusade also comes as a close second for many true Indy fans. Temple of Doom was a pretty big departure from what made Raiders so great. There are some people that like ToD the most, but they're few and far between.

I, myself, am constantly torn between Raiders and LC. Can't tell you which one is my favorite, and oddly enough, I can't say which hat is my favorite.

I think the Raiders hat looks best for Indy (it's such a big part of what characterized him in the first place), but I think the LC hat looks better on me. Bringing up the rear is the shapeless disaster that came in between them (ToD).

P.S. Didn't mean to offend any ToD fans out there.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

ToD fan steppin' in! :twisted:

No offense taken, but you have to admit the fedora in the mayapore village scenes is BADA$$!!! 8)
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

I second that
fatwoul
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fatwoul »

So the reverse taper could symbolise someone who has a lot more going on up-top than you might expect. Interesting, because I feel the plot of RotLA is more intelligent, and ToD is more about action and fun, which is reflected in the shape of the hat - thr ToD offering have much less in the top.

Or maybe I'm just looking into it much too deeply.

Anyway, I'm glad the thread got some replies. I was worried I'd bored people!