Going to get an Expedition jacket, PICS!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Going to get an Expedition jacket, PICS!!!

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

please delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm 6 foot 1, around 200+, and a 44 long sits more at car coat length on me. You might want to seriously consider a 44R, unless you're WANTING a longer jacket.. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I'm just speaking from my practice, and what I wear.

Some folks like a longer jacket....but to get a true Raiders length, you'll be better served with an Expedition in a regular 44. That's what I've owned.

Regards! Michaelson
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I suggest going with your size on the G&B. AND, if by some reason the size you order isn't right, you can send it right back for a replacement, as long as you don't order a custom job.
'Blues
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

I'd listen to Blues. Stick true to size and if it doesn't work, just return it. (G&B no longer does custom work from what I understand, so that shouldn't be a concern.)

I wear an off-the-rack 40L, and, at 6' 1", the G&B 40L fits perfectly. (The sleeves could be maybe 1/4" longer, but that's pretty ticky tack.)

Congrats on getting the Expedition; I've owned 2 and a Wested, and my G&B lamb is the best Indy jacket I've seen (in my not-so-humble opinion).
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your jacket when you get it. I'm considering the G&B, wested pre-distressed, or Todd's as my next jacket so seeing some pics of a current G&B will be nice.
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Congrats, bro! You are going to dig that jacket.
:D 'Blues
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

HANSOLOJONES wrote:I am looking forward to this almost as much as Getting my AB!!!!!
Except you don't have to wait 6 months to get the jacket! :wink:
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

If you dropped a size, you should fit fine. That's what I did. A 38 long Goat for me. I'm a bit under 6 ft, and 175 lb. And there's still room in there for my skinny shoulders. The workmanship on these GB's are absolutely top notch!! Practically bulletproof. You'll be happy. And as they say, returns for any issue are no problem. ( BTW ---I also await my AB Fedora) I will post pics of the combo when the lid arrives,should be soon!

raider 57
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

[delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

AAARGGHH! Sorry to hear your jacket's too small. My sizing opinion was not correct , although it worked for me. At least being summer, you won't miss any wear time yet. Awesome materials and construction though, huh? raider 57
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Masman »

First time "poster" long time lurker here.....

Sorry to hear the jacket didn't fit, and good luck with the 44R. I'm ordering an Expedition in 42R, but they said they were out of stock at the moment. Who knows, I might end up with your returned jacket! :P

When I spoke to Nancy at G&B, she also told me that they no longer carry the Expedition in black (only dark seal). Is that true? Ever since seeing Adam's black Expedition, I've been itchin to get one.

It's been great reading all of the posts over the last few months. The knowledge of all things Indy on this board is pretty amazing. I've learned a lot and spent a lot. :(
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Wait, you read all that? :shock: Sounds like you'll be a good addition, then. :D

Welcome to COW! ;)
Last edited by Indiana Jerry on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

HANSOLOJONES wrote:
Michaelson wrote:I'm 6 foot 1, around 200+, and a 44 long sits more at car coat length on me. You might want to seriously consider a 44R, unless you're WANTING a longer jacket.. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
You were SOOOO RIGHT SIR!!!! .............So I am thinking a 44(R), as Michaelson suggested. Oh,well.

Regards, HSJ.
Sigh. Yeah, hate to say it.......so I won't. :(

Regards! Michaelson
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Sounds like the new jacket will fit just fine Hansolojones - I'm very jealous!

In fact, you have just tipped me over the edge into ordering one, my Wested Lamb is great but I like the look of the Goatskin.

Size bothers me a bit though as I'm a bit between the 48 and 50 in chests. It's going to be a real pain to send back from the UK if it's wrong.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I just checked Flightsuits and they have a Expedition Lambskin 44R in their clearance section on the website. $299. Not sure if it is still there but...
Actually I missed the big clearout from US WIngs. They still had lots posted but when I called they said they had nothing left so this may also be the case.
Canada
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete.
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I am sure you will enjoy it. I think goatskin is an excellent choice. I have a lambskin Wested. Great jacket. very comfortable but not as durable.
Canada
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Masman wrote: <Snip>----<Rip>----<Cut>----<Tear>
When I spoke to Nancy at G&B, she also told me that they no longer carry the Expedition in black (only dark seal). Is that true? Ever since seeing Adam's black Expedition, I've been itchin to get one...(
This is true. It's best to get one of their catalogs, and, although even that isn't completely up-to-date it still is more current than their site jacket information which still indicates the Expedition available in black, their catalog does not. ...and, it has nice pictures to look at. :)

If you are partial to Black goatskin you may want to check out the US Wings Signature Series jacket here:

http://www.uswings.com/aviatn.asp

I've been mulling over purchasing one for quit awhile. If it's anywhere near as nice as the VIP jacket I bought several years ago, I'd be happy indeed. The price is certainly nicer than what I paid for my own Dark Seal goat and lambskin Expeditions.
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Does anyone know the difference in length between the Regular and long sizes of the Expedition? I'm five foot eleven and a half, just at the point where it could go either way according to their order form.
Last edited by michaeljcr on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Masman »

Rixter,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I've requested a catalog from G&B, so hopefully that will come soon. They're also sending a couple of leather swatches so I can see the difference between the goatskin and lamb. I heard the lamb is a little darker than the goat.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I did the same thing years ago. I ordered a 42L based on what the sales folks told me.

Got the jacket, tried it on... too small. The sleeves were fine, but it was too small in the chest. I could barely zip it up. So back it went.
The 44r fit great. Go figure.

So one someone here gives you sizing advice, for petes sake, take it! ](*,)
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Hey guys,
Iam thinking of getting an Expedition, I have a 42 chest , and I need long sleeves (29,5) what would you advice?

Thanks
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

very, very, very nice gear HSJ! is that a black expo? that looks extremely dark.

cheers
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I get one right every once in a while....not often, mind you.....but as my father-in-law used to say, 'even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.' :wink:

Looks GREAT, by the way!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

The gear looks fantastic! Congrats on getting your G&B. Told you that you would love it. Now, wear the heck out of it.
'Blues
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Haansolojones-- Looking really great on you! Congrats! If I recall...you orginally said you wear a 42R suit...but this G & B is a 44R? Best regards -- Feng
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

That jacket looks great on you. I love the Expedition goat - such a hard wearing jacket. I had a little go at distressing mine and near broke the sandpaper before I saw any results!

Ken
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

gear looks great...just curious if you are planning on doing any distressing with your stuff. I know that is the problem i have had...a lot of my stuff looks like its been hanging in my closet as aposed to being dragged behind a truck. I know distressing isn't for everyone that is why i ask.
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete.
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

I wish i had the patience for that. I honestly tried that when i first got my jacket. Of course i would have to "accidently" run into that rought brick wall extra hard from time to time to help the process along but when i saw that my jacket still looked brand new 4 weeks after i purchased it i had had enough. Needless to say that night sandpaper was goin to town on my new wested...a night i will never forget. Our employees thought i had absolutly gone off the deep end and although i agree with em I have to say i am quite pleased with how my jacket turned out. One day i might get another wested and give the natural another go. Keep us updated on how the aging comes...i would love to see how everything looks periodicly to see how the aging is coming.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

OK again , can you guys give me sizing advice,
Iam a a 42 too (but need long sleeves) should I order a 44 then ?

regards

Dirk
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That jacket looks fantastic - you actually resemble Indiana Jones (or his brother - if he had one) a great deal. 44R huh? I'm 186 com (6 ft 2) and 180 pounds, should fit me too.

Please don't feel tempted to attack it with sandpaper - they look good new and will age well over the next 10-15 years.

Cheers - CM
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I wouldn't try to age the Seal Chrome Goat artifically. It's a VERY tough leather. BUT... with the Expo you get a solid jacket you can literally be dragged under the truck with (just don't really try it). Wear it often, break it in, and enjoy it. Aging will come with.... age. :wink:

As for the color... it's all lighting. The Seal Chrome is very VERY close to the movie jacket. In the right lighting, it can be dark brown. Othertimes, it appears to be black. Just like the movie jacket "changed" colors from scene to scene.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Nice looking jacket!
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

My Expo when new in 2003

My Expo this year (with a little Fuller's Earth):

Same jacket - but appears more "black" in the 2nd photo
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

it does appear black there just like hsj's.....but then again, your pants look like jeans but i'm assuming they're khaki :?
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Congrats Hansolo! You got the size nailed there!! I was apprehensive initially about the high price for a GB, but the quality is outstanding. To anyone else considering one, consult our local jacket Gurus for sizing recommendations before ordering. ---- raider57
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Good looking gear! Your build and face are just right for the outfit.

But since you are asking for suggestions..........

I'd ball that jacket up and toss it around a bit and then sit on it awhile to get the collar to lay down.

Wear it in the shower just to wet the sleeves a bit and then push them up damp overnight to set some wrinkles in.

Take a steam iron to the wool pants and get the creases out. (Wool is the ONLY way to go for the authentic look- good choice)

Darken those boots!

The hat is perfect. :)
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

If you are really concerned about sizing for a flightsuits they will still do a custom jacket for you (if memory serves correct its about an extra $150).

I couldn't get an off the rack one to fit me so I went the custom route and ended up with the best fitting Indy jacket I've ever had. For me it was definitely worth it.

Ken
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I wasn't looking at the jacket. I was more looking at the dashing adventurer. :twisted:

Oh, yes the jacket. Sorry. :oops: Looks fantastic! :clap:
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

delete
Last edited by HANSOLOJONES on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.