AB or HJ....which one should I get?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

AB or HJ....which one should I get?

Post by JulianK »

Ok, after criusing in the jacket forum for a few months I now have not one but two jackets.

Now it's time for the fedora. I know this topic is likely been done to death but I would appreciate some input as to which one to get.

I'm really torn between the HJ and AB hats. I know that HJ is the so called 'original' supplier for the films but it bothers me that they don't offer the fedora in beaver. So, if anyone had to do it over again, which one would you get? I won't likely get more than one (ya, like I said that about the jacket) so I'd really like to chose wisely the first time.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

J.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well, I've owned several of both - and while I do like the HJs, they simply are not good enough in terms of quality. If you intend wearing the hat get the AB. THe HJ felt shrinks very easily and is nearly impossible to restretch again. Both Magnoli and Marc are offering "improved" HJs - but from what I gather, the felt issue has not really changed much.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I agree with whiskyman.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Aren't the improved HJs supposed to have been properly blocked/reblocked so they shouldn't have as much of a problem with that?
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

This is largely due to the quality of the felt rather than the blocking procedures and techniques.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I have both HJ and AB. It is a no brainer. AB or AB Deluxe and there is no real argument unless you just want a display hat that has an HJ label in it.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

So far so good! I was tending toward the AB based on what I've heard about both the hats and Steve as well. I'm assuming that the AB deluxe is the beaver fur.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

No, they're both beaver.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have to agree with everyone so far. If your plan (be it flexible in the future or not) is to buy only one fedora, the AB will be the best in looks and durability. If you decide on a second hat, try a rabbit JPD or Magnoli's HJ. I know HJ's aren't known for durability, but my hats just don't take much abuse. Thus, the Magnoli is next on my list.
Chewie
hp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hp »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:I have both HJ and AB. It is a no brainer. AB or AB Deluxe and there is no real argument unless you just want a display hat that has an HJ label in it.
I think it's common sence that AB/AB Deluxe are the best.
I own an AB Deluxe and and HJ of 2005. For me, there's no doubt which one is the best ;-)

But how does the HJ compare to all the other brands, e.g. Akubra?
Is the HJ really bad regarding materials, is it second best or something in between?

Cheers
HP
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

Adventurebilt hands down.

Not only is it a beautifully handmade hat, crafted by a true artist who really cares about his clients, but the fur is top quality and gets better with age. Steve will tweek it to be the perfect hat for you. He still makes every hat all by himself, and is now much in demand, so expect to wait a little while, but believe me, it's well worth the wait.

It's a hat you'll treasure the rest of your life.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Hehe.... as usual, the more I inquire, the more questions pop up!

Ok, it's obviously unanimous that AB is the way to go. I think I agree here. Now....besides where they're built and the price difference, what's the difference between the AB and the AB Deluxe? I Can't really find much info on their respective sites. Is the Deluxe worth the extra bucks???
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Both are 100% beaver felt, custom, handmade hats.

The AB is the best hat you can find sourced from materials here in the US. It has a retail value of $750-$1,000, so it is quite a bargain.

The AB Deluxe is sourced from the absolute best materials available anywhere in the world with cost as no object. That drives up the cost of the materials.

They are both made on custom made blocks that were manufactured to exactly replicate the fedora from Raiders of the Lost Ark, with it's tall crown and straight sides and able to accept the extremely tight front pinch of the Raiders hat.

They are both extremely good values, for what you are getting. Asking if the ABs are worth the money, is like asking if a rare collector's Ferrari is worth the extra money over a run of the mill Ferrari, when you have the opportunity to purchase either for the price of a Hyundai.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

There is a very famous hat shop in Chicago that sells fedoras made from the same raw hat bodies that the regular AB is made from. They sell their fedoras for around $750, last time that I heard. They have plenty of customers at that price to keep them in business for several years, now. I just wanted to say that, so that you wouldn't think that I was overestimating the retail value of the AB.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

To be fair, Bufflehead, I think agent5 paid around $450-$500 for his Raiders style some years ago (if I remember correctly, PLEASE chime in, '5). Still, the standard AB is considerably less expensive and contains 100% beaver. I do not remember the content/mix of agent5's hat. That said, the AB is completely hand stitched, whereas "the other shop" uses hat machinery.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Oh I have absolutely no doubt that the AB's are worth every penny. At this point I'm totally convinced that this is the choice for me. I just didn't know what the Deluxe had that the regular didn't.

Personally I think I'll go with the regular AB for one main reason. The cost difference is quite a bit between the two and frankly I would be happy with the regular run-of-the-mill Ferrarri (good analogy by the way).

Secondly, I've had some correspondance with Steve and he seems to be a great guy who definitely knows what he's doing....nothing against Marc here.

Thanks for all the input and thanks for confirming my initial thoughts.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

binkmeisterRick wrote:To be fair, Bufflehead, I think agent5 paid around $450-$500 for his Raiders style some years ago (if I remember correctly, PLEASE chime in, '5).
Yes, I believe so. But, the key phrase is several years ago. Inflation may have taken care of the rest. I don't know as a fact, as I have never purchased a hat from this company. I am just quoting their prices from what I have read and heard. That's why I said that their price was around 750 bucks. I don't recall if agent5's hat was 100% beaver or if it was a blend.
Still, the standard AB is considerably less expensive and contains 100% beaver.
Correct. I do know that the AB and the AB Deluxe are 100% beaver.
I do not remember the content/mix of agent5's hat.
Me either.
That said, the AB is completely hand stitched, whereas "the other shop" uses hat machinery.
Correctamundo.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

JulianK wrote:Personally I think I'll go with the regular AB for one main reason. The cost difference is quite a bit between the two and frankly I would be happy with the regular run-of-the-mill Ferrarri (good analogy by the way).
Thanks. It was really easy for me because I like Ferraris. I used to help out, when the Ferrari Club of North America would rent my home track for the weekend, where I used to race.

There really is not that much difference in the AB and the AB Deluxe. To use another racing analogy, it is fairly simple to get a race car that can be competitive. But, for the minute improvements that it takes to win the championship, the cost can be huge.

The same thing applies to these hats. They are very close in quality, but the slight upgrade in materials in the AB Deluxe doesn't come cheap.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

I believe it's called the law of diminishing returns. To use another analogy....like high end stereo equipment. The difference between a $1000 system and a $5000 system might net you a 40% gain in audio quality. But the difference between a $5000 system and a $25000 system will gain you a 20% increase in quality.

All fine and dandy if you have the bucks but you have to draw the line at good enough for me. In any case, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with my AB!!! :)

P.S. Spelling mistake noted. It is 'Ferrari". Sorry to any tifosi out there.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Hat

Post by BendingOak »

I agree with chewbacca jones, If you only going to get one hat and money is a issue. I would think spending money on a hat that will last you a life time would make for a better choice. Even if the coast is a little bit more. here's the kicker the AB is around the same price as the HJ ( correct me if I'm wrong).
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

JulianK wrote:I believe it's called the law of diminishing returns. To use another analogy....like high end stereo equipment. The difference between a $1000 system and a $5000 system might net you a 40% gain in audio quality. But the difference between a $5000 system and a $25000 system will gain you a 20% increase in quality.
JulianK,

That is not very good timing on that analogy, at least from my perspective. :evil:

What I am doing today, in between posting on this forum, is replacing the power supply in my Lexicon preamp. Bufflehead knew better, but I did a very dumb thing and blew out the power supply.

Even though mine is a 1996 model, I am taking my baby apart and fixin' it as opposed to getting a new one.

Power supply to fix Bufflehead's Lexicon: $65.00
Upgrade to newest model Lexicon (2003): $15,000.00
Sound of Raiders of the Lost Ark if Bufflehead puts it back together right: PRICELESS \:D/
Lil Abner
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lil Abner »

Hey Guys,
I just signed up, been waiting for the first to roll around to register. I have been looking at the different makers of the fedoras tryign to decide which would be worth the money. After reading this thread, i have to say ya'll convinced me which way to go with this purchase. Thanks! I am so glad i stumbled across this board. :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Lil Abner,

Welcome to COW. I am sure that you are going to love it here. Now, can you hold this light for me and hand me that screwdriver.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Screwdriver? I'll take a martini. :wink:
Lil Abner
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lil Abner »

Would you like your martini dry or wet sir??
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

No wonder we don't get any work done around here! :shock:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Lil Abner wrote:Would you like your martini dry or wet sir??
I like this guy! My friend, you'll do well around here. Oh, dry with a twist of lime, please. :wink:
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

I can't say enough about how good the Adventurebilt hat is. I've worn it all over the place and it is simply the best lid I've ever owned. There is no doubt I would recommend it over any other Indy hat out there...KC
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

AB. All the way. The HJ can be pretty but it won't hold up. No matter how long you have to wait for AB, go AB.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

I have a few ABs now... I owned an HJ some time ago and would never buy another one.

I think the choice is fairly obvious! :D