Sizing question

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Sizing question

Post by Anderson »

Hello all, I'm new here. Been lurking for about a year now and finally thought I'd join. :D

Here's my question about hat sizing: How many sizes bigger is a hat once you remove the sweat? I have a Federation Deluxe that ran a bit small for me. I ordered a 56 and it was constantly giving me headaches if I wore it for any length of time. With summer coming up, I removed the sweat and liner, and it did wonders for the hat in terms of fit- It's spot on now. I'm going to be ordering a beaver Adventurebuilt when I get some extra money in the summer, and I want to make sure I order it correctly. Should I go for a 57 or a 58 in terms of size?

A bit off topic, but I'm constantly impressed by this Fed Deluxe- No matter how much abuse it takes (I've smushed it beneath my car seat on numerous occasions by accident) it always comes out of it looking better than before. I just soak it, massage out the wrinkles, and it gets more like the Raiders hat every time. Not totally screen accurate since I didn't put enough of a turn in it (my first bash), but I'm happy with it.

M.R.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

You're probably a 57, but the BEST thing to do is go buy a measuring tape like the tailors use and measure around your head. Position the tape where you would want the sweatband to sit, and don't wrap it to tight. Take the measurement several times over a weeks time (trust me, there can be variations). For an AB, go with the largest measurement you got. Fr an Akubra, go by the sizing chart on hatdirect.com
Chewie
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

Thanks, Chewbacca! I took your advice and went and got a measuring tape. I took three different measurements and the average was about a 57. I might go into a hat store as well just to make certain- $250 is a lot of spend on something that doesn't fit!

M.R.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

If you are ordering an AB, it is a custom made hat. Don't give a size. Measure your head with the tape measure and give Steve that measurement. He will make the hat to fit your head.

My coconut is half way between a 7 1/2 and a 7 5/8. So, my AB is half way between those two sizes.

The AB is not an off the rack hat that only comes in certain sizes, like the Federation or Fed Deluxe. It is a custom hand made hat. That means it comes with a custom made fit. They can even change the hat for different head shapes. If you know that your head is an oval or a long oval, they have different blocks for making hats for those head shapes. This all holds true, wether you get an AB or an AB Deluxe. They are both custom, handmade hats.

Also, 56 or 57 is not a US hat size anyway.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

...and trying on one hat will not always tell you what size you take in another hat. The absolute best way to make sure the size is right is that measuring you did! Don't forget, give the larger measurement for an AB, not the average. AB sweatbands usually tighten up a little bit after the hat is broken in.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:...Don't forget, give the larger measurement for an AB, not the average. AB sweatbands usually tighten up a little bit after the hat is broken in.
Unless you're using the roohide sweat of the AB deluxe. Fedora recently put his hat from Marc through a sweat field test and he said it never shrunk!
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

That AB deluxe sure is nice, but for a kid about to go to college, it also sure is expensive! :lol:

M.R.