Goat Expedition being Worn

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Goat Expedition being Worn

Post by Chewing Wax »

Maybe I'm wrong, but Platon seems to have mentioned that no one shows what an Expedition looks like being worn. So I'm posting a picture of me wearing mine. Lately I'm told my Expedition is a prototype, but it's been naturally broken in for the last five years. I'm interested to know how it stocks up. I'm 6'2, 180 and the jacket is a 46 R.

Last edited by Chewing Wax on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technonut
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Technonut »

Are you totin' heat in that inside pocket?? :shock:
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

Maybe. And maybe it's sunglasses.
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Not trying to pick on you at all, but it looks a little too small on you. I've just noticed too after seeing so many pics of FS's lately that none of the zippers seem to go all the way to the bottom. Is this standard on all FS's? The jacket itslef looks great, though. I love the way the side vents open. That was always a problem with the Westeds.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Nice sunglasses. Don Johnson would be proud. The sleeves look a tad short, buit it could be the 2 shirts you have on underneath. It looks like you have worn the heck out of that jacket. As AGENT 5 stated, the side vents do look really good. My Wested vents stay open and lay flat.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

If anything i'd say the jacket is a perfect size, except for the shoulders which look too big to me. It all depends what sort of fit you want - I prefer a nice, snugly fitting jacket, while others prefer a jacket a few sizes too big for them.

Either way, I like the look of your jacket, and it's worn in nicely.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

In fact, it's big in the shoulders, short in the sleeves (and maybe body).
So I think...
Wested - G&B : 1 - 0
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Also, the dreaded 'ride-up" in the front is evident here. Hmmmmm.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

These photos are OK but we need more to make safe coclusions.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

And I think your side strap is way too high. It should be somewhere around the middle of the pocket, not up there.

Huh?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The Jacket looks good to me. What’s really cool is you can actually wear it without it falling apart. It’s also good to see the jacket on a real person instead of a bust (that’s just freaky).
I’d say:

real people 1/ Freaks 0

Cheers
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Rundquist wrote:What’s really cool is you can actually wear it without it falling apart.
I think Platon's talking about fit.

SD
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

It is too short in the arms or at least seems so to me, especially the sleeve on the left side. The shirt under is coming out longer than the sleeve. Also note how far up on the wrist the sleeve is. It looks like if you zipped it up the sleeves would ride up even more.

Platon does have something about the side strap. It is supposed to be mid-way and looks a bit high. Although, Platon, this is no competition thread. We're merely making assumptions based on the pics is all.
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Couple of things. First of all, the sleeves are equal in length. I must have had the jacket on a little scued to one side. The side photo shows the sleeve length with the jacket zippered. And the location of the side strap is actully smack dab in the middle of the pocket length. I agree the photo makes it look higher, but that must be because of the way the front of the jacket tilts up when it's zippered. I usually just have to yank the front down to get the jacket to lie a bit forward on the shoulders and that "ride up" goes away.
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

PLATON wrote:These photos are OK but we need more to make safe coclusions.
What would you need to see?
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I mean more photos as in more persons wearing their G&Bs.
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

Oh yeh. For sure. Since mine is a "prototype" anyhow.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

This thing about how the jacket fits is pretty pointless. None of us on this forum have Harrison Ford’s physique (none that I’ve seen anyway). We are all shaped differently. Everyone’s jacket fits different. Silly things like how high or low you wear your pants also affects how long a jacket appears to be. It’s pointless. With that said here are some more pics of my 46 reg sleeves/46 long torso Expedition. As said before, I like a roomy fit. I could obviously go down to a 44 for a more fitted look if I desired. I’d probably get a 44 long off the rack if that’s what I was going for. At 5’11, I’m right on the cusp of a long. The website says 5’11 people can go either way.

No front ride up.
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Rundquist's comment makes sense to me. Every one of our jackets will fit differently and look differently. I am almost close to accepting the fact that no matter how many different ROTLA jackets I buy from however many vendoprs, old Lao Feng aint ever gonna look like HF wearing his!!! :(

And in the world of G & B, it's now an off-the-rack world. This means that there are goping to be trade-offs to make. Take it from me: I've owned G & B's in 38L, 38R, 40R and currently 42R. Because of my body type (5'10" tall, 34 waist, 41 chest and broad shoulders, 148 ilbs)...

...IF the chest fits right then the waist is too big
...If the waist fits right then the chest is too small
...If the shoulders seams sit exactly on the shoulder then the chest is too tight and the sleeves are too short (remember that one, Michelson?)
---If the chest fits right then the shoulder seams "droop" off the shoulder a bit

At the end of the day I am now asking 'How does it feel?" rather than "how does it look?" because it aint ever gonna look perfect on me! So for you blessed friends on COW whose body types are perfect for the Indy jacket, thank your lucky stars (genes) and dont sweat the details. :D

PS: If I ever figute out how to do it, I'll post a photo of me in my 42R G&B Expo...but you're talking to a guy who actually did a PhD before computors and MS Word...so dont hold your breath for the arrival of a photo from Feng. :?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

That jackets looking good, Adam. Very good. What leather is that?
pastimesteve
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Have to agree with Rundquist

Post by pastimesteve »

ChewingWax, I like that jacket!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm a G&B Expedition goat owner (since mid-April '07) and I agree with Rundquist. BTW, Rundquist, the jacket looks fantastic.

There just isn't a perfect fit for those of us who hope to look exactly like HF. I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds, so there's no way I'm going to look anything like HF, no matter how great the jacket is. :? I go with what God gave me. :oops:

I have a 38S, and while I could've gone down to a 36R especially for a more fitted upper arm look, the sleeves would've been too short and I'm not sure I could have zipped the jacket up. Overall, however, I'm thrilled with my jacket and it's the nicest jacket I've ever owned.

Here are a couple of pics:

Steve
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Yo! Pastimesteve---Looking VERY good! Stcik with the size you have. Super!
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Awesome pics guys, thanks for posting! The G&B Expedition jacket is simply incredible!
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

with all you G&B owners out there maybe you could shed a little light on the issue of fit. Some people say they are a little big and some say a little small. At 6'2" I need a 46T or 48T depending on makers. Do they run long in the sleeves? The length is not really an issue since I have a short torso compaired to my legs.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Awesome pics guys, thanks for posting! The G&B Expedition jacket is simply incredible!
Really? I had no idea you felt that way. :roll:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Well, now you do :roll: . I'm unable to post pics, so it's nice to see them when they are posted.
pastimesteve
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

davyjones

Post by pastimesteve »

Hi davyjones:

I'd suggest you have a tailor take all of the measurements requested on G&B's web site, and provide your suit coat size as well. I took both of these steps and provided them to my sales rep (Jeremy). That seemed to work well, and I think I got a pretty darn good fit right out of the gate.

If the jacket fits a little big anywhere, it's in the upper sleeve region. The sleeve length seems standard to me.

I've been told that Jeremy, my sales rep, is one of their experts on fitting people into these jackets.

Steve[/quote]
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Have to agree with Rundquist

Post by Rundquist »

pastimesteve wrote:ChewingWax, I like that jacket!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm a G&B Expedition goat owner (since mid-April '07) and I agree with Rundquist. BTW, Rundquist, the jacket looks fantastic.

There just isn't a perfect fit for those of us who hope to look exactly like HF. I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds, so there's no way I'm going to look anything like HF, no matter how great the jacket is. :? I go with what God gave me. :oops:

I have a 38S, and while I could've gone down to a 36R especially for a more fitted upper arm look, the sleeves would've been too short and I'm not sure I could have zipped the jacket up. Overall, however, I'm thrilled with my jacket and it's the nicest jacket I've ever owned.

Here are a couple of pics:

Steve
That's a great fit. The jacket will only get better as it breaks in. Gibson & Barnes & US Wings jackets need the most breaking in. Westeds look pretty good right out the gate, without breaking in.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

agent5 wrote:That jackets looking good, Adam. Very good. What leather is that?
Thanks. It’s goatskin. It’s this jacket.

Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Even though my past pictures had shown decent detail, the jackets never looked quite as good as I thought in real life. I think It’s because they were taken too close to the lens. These new pics don’t give good detail, but you get a better sense of how the jackets actually fit. It’s impossible to be a “jacket expert” just based photos anyway. Photos can sometimes be deceiving. Cheers

Black goatskin Expedition

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i like the fit of that one the best rundquist.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

thanx pastimesteve. I was going to give them a call too. Now to decide if I want G&B expedition or their historical G-1. decisions, decisions.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll tell you, Adam, I am SO pleased you're into a size 44 now. Once you get tired of that jacket, you know where you can ship it next. :lol: :wink:

She's a beaut!!

Regards! Michaelson
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

The black looks great. That's worth a thought. But when would I wear it?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Michaelson wrote:I'll tell you, Adam, I am SO pleased you're into a size 44 now. Once you get tired of that jacket, you know where you can ship it next. :lol: :wink:

She's a beaut!!

Regards! Michaelson
But these are 46’s. Sorry. I guess I’ll have to keep em’. :twisted:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hummmm....or I'll have to start exercising more.... :-k

Nah. To much work. You enjoy them. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

This is my russet goatskin expedition (size 46 long body with 46 reg sleeves, like the others). It is made from vegetable tanned goatskin. That means that it is a stiffer leather that really needs to break in before it becomes a second skin. The more this jacket breaks in, the more I like it. In a few years it should really be something.

Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

Hi Rundquist.

I have a GB A-2 in russet veg-tanned goatskin and that leather absorbs water like a sponge. Does the leather in your Expedition do that too?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I haven't worn it in the rain. I think in general, chrome tan hides repel water better than veg tanned hides. That why most of the Navy jackets were made from chrome tanned hides. Cheers
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

Yeh well, this isn't a matter of repelling anything. Like I said, it absorbs. ***** up the water. Somehow having a leather jacket you can't wear in the rain seems wrong to me. That jacket looks great though. Later-
Chewing Wax
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Chewing Wax »

I see the word s*cks got edited out. Yikes. That's a little high strung isn't it?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah I've been complaining about it for a couple of years. Great looking jackets everybody. :tup: