My Sixth Month Old Peters. Bros. Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My Sixth Month Old Peters. Bros. Fedora

Post by Tycoonman »

Here is my sixth month old Peters Bros. Fedora. I was a hesitant to post photos of this at first, but what the ####. This thing has gone through two Colorado Blizzards, three rainstorms, blanketed in snow dozens of times, a few heat waves, sat on, crushed under a back pack with school books in it for over a week, ran over by my car, chewed on by my puppy, and floated down the Colorado River about a half a mile before I caught up to it. It's still in good condition, the lining has been torn out, but other than that no damage what so ever. Enjoy!

Tycoonman
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Very nice fed Tycoonman. It looks good considering all the types of weather it's been through.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Right ON!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Right ON! Tycoon :clap: This is a real adventure hat.
Some are for dress, some are for real world adventure.
The question is..."Were you being chased by bare-butt Hovito's when
you went into the river? :lol:

You sound like you share some similarilities with our
"Farnham54". He and his Akubra have gone in the drink
numerous times, not to mention being hit by lighting! :shock:

Explains alot about him frankly eh! :wink: :lol:

Great to see a well used hat.

Cheers
Kilgour Trout
Last edited by Kilgour Trout on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Yes, it's the sole excuse for my electrifying personality :oops: :roll: :lol: Yes,I went there.

Heck of a hat with a heck of a cool story behind it! Still looks great and you wear it well.

Cheers
Craig
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That's one well-worn hat! It looks good on you. :wink:
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Tycoonman:

Six months? Sounds like several years. I understand how those Colorado blizzards can sneak up on the unsuspecting. My own Joe Peters Sr. Special, has seen plenty of Denver/Washington Park snow, wind and abuse. Recently used it to chase off an irate goose.

I personally like the Custom Indy's heavier "western" weight felt. Like a Timex, it simply keeps on ticking.

Sincerely,
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Kilgour Trout wrote:Right ON! Tycoon :clap: This is real adventure hat.
The question is..."Were you being chased by bare-butt Hovito's when
you went into the river?
No, I'd @#$% myself if I had naked men chasing after me. To be honest, I was fishing in the river... current swept me off my feet and I went under... lost my hat... swam to shore and made a mad dash down stream until I got ahead of it... swam out and grabbed it... best catch of the day!
Dr.Seuss wrote:I personally like the Custom Indy's heavier "western" weight felt. Like a Timex, it simply keeps on ticking.
Reason I chose it over the Adventurebilt. Looking forward to sending in an order for a black Custom Indy, though it will be shaped like the Dorfman Pacific hat.

Thanks guys,

Tycoonman
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Looks well worn and loved. Could use a ribbon change, though. I think it could go without a reblock for awhile, but could probably use one in the near future. Awesome lid. :)
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Looks pretty good, nice hat :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They don't call the PB fedora 'bullet proof' for nothing!

It's nice to see one out there being used for what it was made to be used for!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Good to see a PB on the board again. I bought three of them when Joe Jr. was with the shop. I sure miss Joe Jr. Hope he is well and perhaps ones day he will re-join his dad. Nice guy to talk to on the phone too. Fedora
wayside
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wayside »

I've had my PB for three years. It's made a motorcycle trip from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia, been fishing for blues and stripers countless times and suffered through three New England winters (about nine Noreasters. They take a while to break in, but they're worth the wait. Truly is bulletproof. By the way, when I received mine I found it ran a tad small...a couple of bouts with the stretcher and it was perfect.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

wayside wrote:I've had my PB for three years. It's made a motorcycle trip from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia, been fishing for blues and stripers countless times and suffered through three New England winters (about nine Noreasters. They take a while to break in, but they're worth the wait. Truly is bulletproof. By the way, when I received mine I found it ran a tad small...a couple of bouts with the stretcher and it was perfect.
Another New Englander, eh Wayside? Glad to have you aboard!

BTW, Tycoonman, just to say it once again, that fedora looks great! Glad to see some PB's around these parts again.

-GCR
wayside
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wayside »

GCR wrote:
wayside wrote:I've had my PB for three years. It's made a motorcycle trip from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia, been fishing for blues and stripers countless times and suffered through three New England winters (about nine Noreasters. They take a while to break in, but they're worth the wait. Truly is bulletproof. By the way, when I received mine I found it ran a tad small...a couple of bouts with the stretcher and it was perfect.
Another New Englander, eh Wayside? Glad to have you aboard!

BTW, Tycoonman, just to say it once again, that fedora looks great! Glad to see some PB's around these parts again.

-GCR
I thank you for the welcome. Good to be here.
wayside
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wayside »

GCR wrote:
Make that 10 nor'easters...it's blowing like stink out there. We're registering 60mph gusts. The PB stood up just fine...I had to wring it out a bit but it's still ticking.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Strider wrote:Looks well worn and loved. Could use a ribbon change, though. I think it could go without a reblock for awhile, but could probably use one in the near future. Awesome lid. :)
How does the Custom Indy's western weight felt appear after a reblocking? Anyone with an PB/AB reblock?

Sincerely,
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Perfect! I just wrote about my wife thinking my AB looked to 'cityfied' to go on any adventures and was wondering how to get it all messed up and dirty.

I'm off to the Colorado River for a swim...KC
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Ha ha ha, just wear the hat all the time. I don't leave my house with out it. She wouldn't complain about it then!

Thanks for the kind words.

Tycoonman
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

Very cool story great looking lid. My old one has been through some rough stuff as well. Can't wait til I can afford another lid as well so I can break it in.
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

So you have a Peters Bros. hat as well?

Too bad we don't see as many. I'd love to see some different colors and styles from the company.

Tycoonman
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Reminds me of my Akubra! The front pinch is tight like yours (from being handled *many* times) and the center dent has lost its shape like yours and turned into a small dip with a flat spot where my head touches it. That's a well loved hat right there, bro. :tup:

In Christ,
Shane
HANSOLOJONES
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HANSOLOJONES »

My current lid is a PB custom I bought back in 2000. Made by Joe JR. to the specs I gave him(opening temple sequence). At first I was unhappy about the stiffness. The look is dead on. So I gave it a couple showers. It softened up the felt a lot. I wear it all the time, as I wait for my AB and AB Delux. I didn't like the ribbon it came with, so I swapped out an old Black Keepler rippon for it. Looks MUCH better. I will post pics of it soon. Anyhoo, it's been through ALL kinds of weather, and still looks like I just pulled it out of it's box!!!!

High Regards, HSJ.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

What I hate about online hat retailers is that these days, the leather lining seems to ALWAYS come with their internet address... I don't know, but it kind of cheapens it for me. :(

Otherwise, that hat looks perfect! Really compliments ya well, and heck if that thing doesn't just scream Indy! :)
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Fedora wrote:Good to see a PB on the board again. I bought three of them when Joe Jr. was with the shop. I sure miss Joe Jr. Hope he is well and perhaps ones day he will re-join his dad. Nice guy to talk to on the phone too. Fedora
You know, I ran into him awhile back (maybe last fall?) and he was working in the Fort Worth Stockyards at an upscale Cowboy clothing store doing hats.
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

HANSOLOJONES wrote: At first I was unhappy about the stiffness. The look is dead on. So I gave it a couple showers. It softened up the felt a lot.
Well, I come from a family line of good old western "as stiff as brick" hats, so when I received it I thought it was extremely floppy. I was a little unsure if it would hold up or not, so I put it through ####. It's by far the best hat I own and I am just awe struck on how such a floppy hat can hold up to all the @#$% I put it through... I have to baby my Resistol and Stetson hats, my beaver Resistol likes to drip dye everywhere when it is wet.

Thanks again for the comments!

Tycoonman