US Wings Goatskin Indy jacket-A Review

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

US Wings Goatskin Indy jacket-A Review

Post by Indydawg »

Due to some very good luck, I have managed to get my hands on one of "US Wings's Finest"....one of their goatskin Indy jackets. In fact, comparing it to the goatskin I saw a year ago from Wested and the goatskin I have on the Expedition from Flightsuits (it should be noted here that neither of the goatskin jackets I have seen from either Wested or FS are their CURRENT issue of goatskin), I would have to say as far as quality, the Wings goatskin is JUST as good if not BETTER than anything I've seen.

Here's what I like about Wings's goatskin:

First of all, there is NO "break in" period required for this leather. I took it out of the box and it is just as soft as butter right from the start. It slips on like an old friend, but of course it's only just getting started with the many miles of adventure you could put on this jacket. And the grain is already coming through VERY well in some areas....there's a "mixed" grain to it, but it's well balanced....nothing looks "out of place" about any of it.

Second, the physical weight of the jacket is much lighter than the FS jacket. Again, I'm comparing to the older stock of FS goatskin...not the current issue...but this Wings goatskin is amazingly light. And with the cotton lining standard to Wings's mil. spec A2 jackets being used in this jacket (this was the same lining that was in the first "Old Cow" Indy jacket I got from Wings which I have since sold...I've kicked myself a thousand times for that), this jacket could easily be paired with a short sleeved shirt for wear in the higher temperature range of jacket weather (upper 60s to mid-70s) or with a thick shirt and sweater for wear in just about any cold....I had it on earlier this evening in the ice storm we're having here in GA and with just a flannel shirt under it, I was pretty comfortable. Quite frankly, I think this is the lining Wings should use in ALL their Indy jackets...it's amazing!

Third, the COLOR of the jacket is just fantastic!!!! I've heard people complaining about Wested's and FS's goatskins being too "shiny" to start with and having to take rubbing alchohol to them to "tone them down"....well, you won't have THAT problem with this jacket. The jacket looks nice enough to be "new", but it looks broken in enough that it doesn't look "too new", if that makes any sense at all. Now that's not to say there are any "wear" spots on the jacket anywhere....this looks like a jacket that would be equally at home with a shirt and tie for casual Friday's at the office OR with a pair of jeans and a T-shirt for "Happy Hour"....OR, of course, with your favorite pair of khakis, bullwhip, and fedora for a little adventuring for that matter :wink: . And since I know SOMEONE is going to ask I've looked at the "exposed" parts of the jacket's leather (like the side straps and where the pockets are sewn on) and there is some DEFINITE potential for some really cool "artificial aging" to be done to this leather due to the color differential between the "under side" of the leather and the surface. And MK's complaints about Wested's goatskin being "grey" in its undertones....NOT a problem with this stuff, man....you've got a VERY beautiful dark brown with a deep khaki color to come through with highlights. I think it would be really cool looking.

And, as always, the construction of the jacket is over and above "top shelf". There have been some issues with construction of the Wings jackets come up here recently. And I think that those concerns have been addressed in the new, tighter, QC at the new place in Stow where Sarge is now having the jackets made. He's running a tight ship there and I'd recommend ANYONE to contact him with problems with their previous ordered jackets and give him the opportunity to keep you as satisfied customers by making your situation right.

For what these Wings Indy jackets are going for on their sale pages, I just don't see how any of us can pass up adding one to our respective collections. They're awesome jackets, they're built like tanks, they're GREAT looking, and they're "made in the USA" by a man who has done a great deal for this fan community and has certainly earned the full respects of THIS Indy fan.

High marks all around for this little number. Nicely done, Sarge!

"If you have the means, I highly recommend you pick one up".
-Ferris Beuller

Highest Regards!
Indydawg
Indydawg

Just wanted to move this back to the top...

Post by Indydawg »

Wanted to make sure everyone saw it....

Later!
Indydawg
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I've got one of these Goats, it's my second Indy Jacket I've purchased besides their Distressed Cow. It's simply as marvelous as the Dawgman states! Mine is a "Cooper" USWings and no problems here. I've heard some complains about stitching on the Coops, but if you have a prob, just get a hold of the Sarge and he'll fix ya up.
Now all I need is a truck to be dragged behind.... :wink:
Indydawg

I Agree 100%

Post by Indydawg »

And it could sure as @#$% take that dragging behind the truck too.

Later!
Indydawg
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hmmmmm, they sound pretty good!

Does anyone have any pics of these Goatskin jackets?

Regards!
Captain D
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

I can't post pics (darn that Tripod!) but here's a couple links to picks of me in the Goat from our Midwest Summit pages....

Getting ready to let the whip fly...
http://members.tripod.com/~midwest-summ ... mmit03.jpg

Here's the jacket with my PBBM, Joe Strain 10 foot, and Wells Lamont gloves...
http://members.tripod.com/~midwest-summ ... mmit41.jpg

Update: If the link doesn't work, just copy and paste the address, that WILL work....
Update #2 - here's a picture of me and the Goat on a train from a Sept Summit in MN/WI - it should post since it's on the IndyGear main site under community.....
Last edited by Minnesota Jones on Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indydawg

With Regrets...

Post by Indydawg »

I did not have my father's digital camera with me when the jacket arrived yesterday, but I'm sure Minnesota Jones isn't the only one of us that has pics of his jacket. I'll try to arrange for some pics of this one to be available soon....but, the website www.uswings.com has a link to some computerized versions of the catalog pics that come pretty darned close to showing the beauty of this jacket. And, of course, if you've got a catalog from Wings that will be just as good to show the jacket's details.

Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I think Indydawg is being a bit too reserved in his review of the goatskin.

Almost a year before I discovered Indygear, I chose the Expedition jacket. Now I have the post-mod FS seal chrome goat. I am jazzed about this jacket and think it's the best, without personally experiencing the other vendors' offerings.

Then, I start thinking Wested. Lambtouch cow? Predistressed? And now this "new" lambskin that Peter just re-discovered? Such choices!!! :D

But then my son Logan gets an early Christmas present from grandma at Thanksgiving time---a "Lil' Indy" jacket from U.S. Wings. Goatskin.

I honestly cannot begin to tell you how buttery soft the Wings goat is! I am still is disbelief thinking it's a soft lambskin and someone's pulling the wool over my eyes (pardon the pun).

U.S. Wings goatskin is truly amazing to the touch and looks awesome. I wrote in another thread but I'll write it here too...my lid is tipped to U.S. Wings.

I.J.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Not only is this a cool hobby, but the fact that there are so many options makes it great!
Indydawg

You're absolutely right, Joe

Post by Indydawg »

This goatskin is something you definately have to SEE and TOUCH to be able to understand, truly, what we've said....
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Well...

Post by Michaelson »

...through manipulations, voodoo, and other forms of black magic, I got my grubby hands on this jacket, and old Indy Dawg nailed the description to a tee. It's physlcally lighter than my FS, and it is one of those jackets that you pick up and it already feels like an old friend from the first touch. (did that make any sense?) I've handled a LOT of jackets over the years, but have to say this one surprised me. I've owned a goatskin Wings before, and this is not what I had before. It's a better grade leather.. more evenly distributed and matched grain hide, but light as a feather. Extremely soft and broken in feel. It took some tricks of the trade to get my FS to this level. Really weird. I have no intention of applying Pecards jell to this one, as it will slightly add to the physical weight, but due to the finish and feel, I'll more than likely apply the motorcycle lotion instead. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper with the results, and have to say that product now being made in Stow, Ohio BY Wings sure makes the previous products pale in comparison, in my personal opinion. Well done, Sarge! If this is an example of what we can expect from now on from the new plant, you've got a total winner in my book! High regards. Michaelson
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Well...

Post by prettybigguy »

Michaelson wrote:...and it already feels like an old friend from the first touch.
:shock: What kind of friends do you have! :wink: :)
PBG
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Ah yes...

Post by Michaelson »

...that would be telling! :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

that sounds really cool! I have a vintage cow from USW... how do the two hides compare? I love my jacket but Dawgs reviews always make me want to buy a new one!! I hate you dawg :cry:

cheers,
tollan
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

I've got the USWings distressed cow as well as the Goat. They're both great but they're just something about this Goat. I love the darn color of this jacket!!!!! I'd say the cow is "stiffer" (can I say that?) in feel, the Goat did take a few tumbles in the ol' dryer, but it wasn't stiff at all when new. The hide of course more resembles lamb than the cow does. I haven't tried to distress her or anything, I'll let nature do that. Get one, you'll not be dissapointed.
Last edited by Minnesota Jones on Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indydawg

LOL....

Post by Indydawg »

Well, I've been hated for worse things, I suppose... :wink: ...really, I'm glad to contribute to the dilenquent spending of your money, tollan 8) .

It just so happens that both Michaelson and I have had both of these jackets (the Wings distressed cowhide and the goatskin) in hand to comment on them, so here's my thoughts.

First there are the obvious differences. The goatskin is a new finish leather, so it just simply doesn't look distressed at all. It's a jacket that I think could go just as well with a shirt and tie/khaki combo for the office as it would with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for a late spring/early fall evening out with friends. (does that sound straight out of a clothing catalog or what :lol: ) The leather isn't necessarily granier, but by definition, goatskin is just so different from cowhide....the cowhide is mismatched with its smooth and grainy areas. The goatskin is very evenly matched and pretty grainy all over....very nice. The goatskin is also lighter in weight and is matched with that awesome cotton lining they have....really makes this jacket one for MOST of the seasons you'd have as it is versitile enough to wear with most of your clothing types...short sleeves, shirts, thick shirts, or shirts/sweaters.

Then there are the differences that are sort of just my opinion. Goatskin, once it distresses and gets the newness off it, REALLY looks good, and the cowhide is the one that looks nice and worn in right out of the box. I, personally, like that look. But that is just me. To be sure, this goatskin will take a beating. It may take some time and energy expenditure to get it looking distressed. You may never WANT it to look that way, for that matter, in which case, I would say don't worry. You'd REALLY have to be trying to get that goatskin to look old. On the other hand, it doesn't LOOK TOO new right out of the box. It is soft, supple, and the surface isn't "shiny" like the other goatskins we're hearing about these days. So, you wouldn't need to apply that alchohol solution to get it to tone down.

That's about the best I can do comparing them. They're both awesome jackets, so I really couldn't recommend one over the other unless I was sure what you were after in a jacket....the distressed look, or the newer, more versatile look. But, you're talking to a guy with 6 leather jackets in his closet right now....I have a luxury that most do not have...I've got a jacket for just about every occasion....versatility is not an area that I lack.
Hope that helps. Michaelson? Your thoughts, as you actually have the jacket...
Later!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

One further comment...

Post by Michaelson »

...and to mirror an email I just sent to IndyDawg...be VERY mindful on your sleeve length. I have discovered that the one I have in hand has done the infamous 'riding up with wear' that Peter and I both preach about in ordering jackets. When this arrived, it had about a 24.5 inch sleeve length. I wear a 25 inch length, and was quite happy with what I had. After wearing it regularily for weeks, yesterday I noticed that the sleeves were halfway up my lower arm while I was driving. On measuring them, I have discovered that they are now a solid 23 inches....the 1.5 inches or so 'lost' in the bend and wrinkles of the elbow area. Keep this mind if you're considering this jacket. Besides the Wested, this is the first time I've experienced this from another manufacturer, though I'm sure it can happen with any jacket ordered. Sadly, I won't be wearing this one anymore, and am passing it to my niece, who, though high school age, has NEVER owned a leather jacket in her life. May as well start her off with a good one. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

That's interesting, because neither of my USWings have done this, but I wish they would!
Both jackets being a set size, are just "a hair" too long for the sleeves. Nothing major, but if they rode up a bit, they'd be perfect.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

If y..ou have the older leather.

Post by Michaelson »

...that doesn't surprise me. None of the other Wings jackets I've had in the past ever did this either, so I was more than a bit surprised and disappointed in it, but not due to a problem with the product. It's SUPPOSED to do that. It's just that it's a shame I experienced this where the body fit perfectly, but the sleeves rode up! Tells me they need a longer sleeve from the get go to make it work right for an off the rack size. Ah well. Live and learn. Could be just this jacket too! One can never tell. Regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

This prompts me to reiterate the standard complaint, (and remedy) that I've already expressed in emails to US Wings. That being my wish for more accurate off the rack sizing instead of the somewhat hit & miss policy they have now of offering the catch-all sizes S, M, L, XL, 2XL and so on. I understand (I suppose) why Sarge cannot offer custom fit jackets because of the ‘largeness’ of his operation and all, but it IS the main reason I cannot purchase any other Indy jackets from US Wings since I do not fit the standard sizes currently being offered.
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Many Thankls for the input guys... I have to say that I love my vintage cow but ...... as far as bing truly indy I think that two things let it down: firstly the sleeves are quite baggy and the body length is a bit long. I don't mind that too much as it's such a nice jacket! I've been wearing a wested for the last 3.5 years by the way and the jackets don't really compare as they are so different to the trained eye... both fantasic though!

Anyway... I like the sound of the USW goat-skin. DOes anyone own one of their goat G-1s or A-2s? these may be a good alternative if the sizing of the indy jackets may be off (I too have primate-length-arms) and you simply want a hard wearing jacket (as I do). I just love the indy jackets though... the way it combines all aspects of the G-8, G-1 and A-2..... hhmmmmm.... life's hard :?

Cheers,
Tollan
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

this looks like a jacket that would be equally at home with a shirt and tie for casual Friday's at the office OR with a pair of jeans and a T-shirt for "Happy Hour"....OR, of course, with your favorite pair of khakis, bullwhip, and fedora for a little adventuring for that matter...
Since I don't own a goat yet (I'll have to buy two, one for the wife and the other for a friend soon.) I don't have much to say on the subject. I will say thought... that there is never a time when a Fedora doesn't go well with an Indy style jacket! Weither it's casual Friday or happy hour- The Fedora and Jacket go together like love and marrage, horse and carrage, David and Mattie (ham and legs), Peanut butter and Jam... and so on.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

I have a Wings A-2 2000

Post by Michaelson »

The medium fits me perfectly. The body is full enough to allow wearing a sweater if need be, but is just loose enough not to appear to 'full' when not. It comes to just below my belt line, as any A-2 will, and the sleeves are the perfect length. Sounds to me like you used the Wings standard sizing chart, and I have found that it runs large for me. I'm sized a 'L' on the Wings chart for my height and weight, and like you, a 'L' hangs on me exactly the way you describe your jacket, so I think you just need to go down a size myself. I highly recommend the Wings A-2 2000 myself, as it's cut a little more generously, and has side entry pockets behind the patch pockets that actually work! They're deep and lined, and VERY usable. Regards. Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indydawg

As another wrinkle, for you Tollan

Post by Indydawg »

If you like the G-1, but don't particularly like the fur collar, you might try the Wings goatskin G-2. Same leather as the Indy jacket, same specs as the G-1, but without the fur collar. I've got one of their G-2s in the antique lambskin (my SERIOUS cold weather jacket, and will probably see some wear this weekend), and I really like the jacket's styling. Their A2s are extremely cool as well, as Michaelson states, but for something with an action back like the Indy jacket that has knit cuffs and leather collar....well, I just like the look of the G-2. It's just a cool jacket, and a nice variation to the Indy jacket....which, I think we'll all agree, is very cool at times.

Later!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Quick follow up

Post by Michaelson »

The goatskin Wings Indy fit my niece, so she's one happy camper. I'm now down to just my ,FS, my cloth Wings Indy, and my A-2, but I'm content. (grins) Yeah, sure.... :roll: :wink: High regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

Ah well...

Post by Indydawg »

Good news for your niece!!! Sorry to hear the closet is becoming "sparse", but as you've told me a million times, there's bound to be something great coming right around the corner....

You're the man, Michaelson!
My fedora's off to you...
Indydawg
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

QUOTE:In fact, comparing it to the goatskin I saw a year ago from Wested and the goatskin I have on the Expedition from Flightsuits (it should be noted here that neither of the goatskin jackets I have seen from either Wested or FS are their CURRENT issue of goatskin)

A year is a long time my friend and things change.I beleive that my new goatskin is the finest I have had tanned and will be even greater when it comes in the Authentic Fiim colour to match my Authentic Lambskin which is terrific.
Cheers
Peter
Indydawg

Well, actually, now that you mention it...

Post by Indydawg »

And I hadn't wanted to throw a monkey wrench into the line of discussion here, (mostly because I've encouraged the actual owner of the jacket I'm talking about here to post his thoughts on the goatskins himself) but you have opened up the door for me to say this now, so I'll put it out there.

My nephew got a Wested LC jacket for Christmas this year made from Peter's newest batch of goatskin. Not only is the goatskin he's offering today light years better than the goatskin he had this time last year, but to be honest, I'd put it up against the US Wings goatskin any day of the week, and say that it is JUST as good. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see that match-up take place in reality-it would be too close to call, in my opinion. Yeah, that's a pretty bold statement, I know, but there it is. Peter's leather sources just keep getting better and better these days.

Ok...let the arrows fly now.... 8)
Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Well, actually, now that you mention it...

Post by Indiana Joe »

Indydawg wrote:Not only is the goatskin he's offering today light years better than the goatskin he had this time last year, but to be honest, I'd put it up against the US Wings goatskin any day of the week, and say that it is JUST as good. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see that match-up take place in reality-it would be too close to call, in my opinion. Yeah, that's a pretty bold statement, I know, but there it is.
Holy guacamole!! Indydawg, you may recall that my son just got a Wings Lil' Indy jacket made of that goatskin and it is so sweet!! My mouth is watering now to get my mits on the Wested goatskin! Thanks ahead of time, Peter!

Indiana Joe
Indydawg

Yep...I recall...

Post by Indydawg »

If (I mean WHEN) you get one of Peter's jackets in the goatskin, be sure and bring it when you come for our whip sessions....and the Wings goatskin, too...we'll do that matchup and see what we can come up with on THAT...

Later!
Indydawg
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

You got it!
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Autumn is upon us here in north Georgia and the jackets are getting ready for use. My son's Lil' Indy goatskin from U.S. Wings needed a slight repair---the right cargo pocket needs some stitching to re-attach about one inch of the pocket.

So, I take it to my local cobbler/shoe repair guy and he kept oogleing over the leather and then gave me a verbal compliment on it's quality. Then, he called his co-worker over for a looksee and he also thought it was a great leather.

To me, it just supports the committment that our jacket vendors have to producing quality products.

I.J.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Nothing less for us gearheads :D

I just ordered a tailor fit wested from Peter, and even though they were busy at the beginning of this week, once they caught up (its happened to all of us, so I understood completley) their service was unparraleled.

Every new jacket I buy will be a Wested from here on out.

Regards,

Farn
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Farnham54 wrote:Every new jacket I buy will be a Wested from here on out.
I hope you understand my intent was not to knock Wested. I guess when I look at our fellow gearheads' choice of jackets, most (not all) go for the Wested Indy jacket or Flightsuits Expedition. So, I was just trying to share my experience regarding a U.S. Wings product since there are not as many Wings jackets in our community as there are Westeds. That's all.

Cheers,

I.J.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Understand totally, Joe, it wasn't my intent to give you the impression that I thought you were knocking wested! :)

I have had little experience with any other Indyjacket manufacturer. However, in my mind, with Peter having such big name contracts (like Hollywood movies) yet not letting it go to his head and still providing excellent service to an 18 year old university student with annoying questions ;) is a great thing. I'm sure the others do too, which is what I think is great about this hobby--Gearheads aren't considered fanatical or nuts, they are respected and served with the utmost in care and consideration.

The other thing I love about this hobby is this: Some people will swear by a manufacturer, some by others, and in the end the decision is a tough one for newcomers. Which just gives us all an excuse to get more of the gear we love! :D

regards,

Craig
Malenfant
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Malenfant »

After a year of wear on both my wested lambtouch and my us wings vintage cow (on sale), here are my reviews...

I really like both. Seriously. Unfortunately, life is full of choices but thankfully my worst decision is which to wear every morning. I alternate beteem which i like more, although I find I prefer the wested in "dressier" occasions and my pecard'ed wings jacket with jeans and a ball cap (specifically, a red sox cap).

Both are gunmetal strong. The Wings has broken in *quite* well now three coats of pecards into its life [warning: it will darken the leather significantly] and it hangs great. i normally wear either a 40R or 42R and the wings 'medium' is too big with just a t-shirt, perfect with a t-shirt and a long-sleved work shirt. a great jacket.

the wested is wonderful although my now-realized @#$% measurements are haunting me [in other words, i'd recommend getting measured at two tailors, not just one]. the jacket it labelled 42R (per my instructions) but peter rightfully followed my (crappy) measurements and the jacket works great with a t-shirt but is slightly tight with a long-sleeved shirt. it looks swell, though, and the girlfriend thinks it looks perfect in fit even with a long sleeved shirt. an excellently made jacket, and hopefully my wearing it has sent wested some business as i've recieved tons of compliments.

I'm glad i own both. i'd be tempted to get another wested or flightsuits but right now the shearling call has my sights on a redskin. i've always thought a redskin B6 and a green MG midget would be perfect for a fall day of driving in new england but that dream will have to wait at least another year.