..and yet another introduction, and a tip.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Des
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

..and yet another introduction, and a tip.

Post by Indiana Des »

Greetings, fellow Indyfans! After some extreme lurking on this site I thought it was time to join the merry bunch of adventurers.. so here I am.

I got an Akubra Federation Deluxe ordered (and I hate this waiting game.. I'm on day 13 tomorrow and the akubras got a short wait so I can imagine when I get around ordering a Wested jacket and an adventurebilt what an awful and dreaded wait I got ahead of me... :shock: ) Hopefully it will be in the mail tomorrow.

The Akubra is replacing the hat I got on my avatar.. it hasn't served me particulary well but that's to be expected from a $40 hat... first rainstorm it went through tapered it just horrible so after reading up here which hat was most suitable for tear and wear the Fed Deluxe was the only choice in my pricerange. And it's going to be bashed raidersstyle (my favourite Indyfilm of the three).

well.. so..uh.. once again, Hi everyone!

(and since I didn't knew who to email or PM regarding forumstuff I post it here: to stop spambots from ruining your forums and registering bogus-accounts so you get forced to use the method you use now for registrations, just add a question to the registrationform that only a human can answer. Like "what color is Indys hat?"... which on second thought wasn't the best question to have there. :lol: That solution worked like a charm on the forums I run and we haven't had one spambot registrered since then.)
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Welcome aboard. You´ll be lucky with the Akubra Fed. Deluxe :wink:
Nice hat, my favorite :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

welcome aboard des.....but i like the other new guy better as he's buying TOD gear......just kidding!!! :lol:

the akubra is a great choice. i just have the standard fed but its enough to tell me how good a quality akubra hats are. you should be getting that lid anyday now so keep us posted on what she looks like.

cheers
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

Welcome to the club. The Akubra will definately serve you well. I've been through #### with my standard federation and it still looks the same as when I got it, 'cept for some dirt, lightening up and weathering. It has not tapered at all since getting it, even when I was in a rainstorm for 3 hours. In that instance, the hat still didn't even soak through either. Great hat for the cash.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

More newbies! The Akubra will serve you well. Enjoy!
Indiana Des
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Des »

thanks for the warm welcome! My Akubra was in the mail today and after a minute of bashing I got something like this: (sorry for the bad lighting and overall abysmal quality. My digital camera is with my parents on a trip so I took these with my iMac.. better photos coming up later when the camera is back.)

I'm rather pleased with the look so far. It tapers a bit though, how can I get rid of that? And I looooove the hat. It's a perfect fit!
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

You should try to bash it a bit like the ROTLA, cause the "humps" bring a wide top with them. It´s just my suggestion, but I think there are many ways to make your top wider :wink:
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ..and yet another introduction, and a tip.

Post by Dalexs »

Indiana Des wrote:...
(and since I didn't knew who to email or PM regarding forumstuff I post it here: to stop spambots from ruining your forums and registering bogus-accounts so you get forced to use the method you use now for registrations, just add a question to the registrationform that only a human can answer. Like "what color is Indys hat?"... which on second thought wasn't the best question to have there. :lol: That solution worked like a charm on the forums I run and we haven't had one spambot registrered since then.)
The problem is, we use the visualization feature, so all of the accounts being registered are being done by real people... with no life...
(Unless there is some otehr method of geting around that!)

But thanks for the info. It might be worth a shot. Every little bit helps.

Dalexs
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

And yet another Swedish member! \:D/

Welcome, Indiana Des! Enjoy the madness...
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

scandy! you've become wierd al! what happened to the other pic? i thought it was much better....more personable....kinda like how we got fedora to post his face on the avatar as we were tired of talking to a hat.

just let me know when you guys get tired of talking to a bulldog :lol:

des, your center bash may be pushed too deep down onto your head. you may have bashed it more like a 'fold' or 'crease' rather than a center 'dent'. if you shallow up the crease and make the camel humps more gradual (rather than steep slopes)...you may eliminate the taper in this manner....hope it helps. i made this mistake when bashing center dents early on in the game. its a dent, not a crease or fold.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Indiana G wrote:scandy! you've become wierd al! what happened to the other pic? i thought it was much better....more personable....kinda like how we got fedora to post his face on the avatar as we were tired of talking to a hat.
Weird Al serves as an interim avatar at the moment. The beard is gone, so I have to make an avatar change accordingly... stay tuned. :wink:

And yes, having one's own mug in the avatar is a lot more personable. Bulldogs, however, are nice dogs...

At least I didn't change my avatar into this:

Image :P

Sorry for the hijack, Des... happens here all the time, it seems... :oops: 8)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

.....who want to drink from the firehouse?!?!?!?! :lol:

sorry for hijacking the thread des....and now back to your regularly scheduled program.......
Indiana Des
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Des »

oh, I'm so used to thread-hijacking that I didn't even notice it.. :D

*and continues to toil away to get the perfect bash on his hat* 8)
Indiana Des
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Des »

and slightly offtopic but even blowfishes loves a nice Fedora. ;) (a t-shirt I got in the mail the other day. :D)

Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

Välkommen Des!

Great with another Swede here. :D
Scandinavia Jones wrote: Image :P
Hey, no bad talking about my guy, Spadowski! And I was first with the whole Weird Al UHF avatar thingy :wink:
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

HA! There are the Fed stretch/stack marks up the sides. Des, I'd turn turn that hat to get rid of the taper. Image Is that a mirror image, or did you front pinch that hat backwards!? Nice shirt- got a link to where you can buy one?
Indiana Des
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Des »

yep, it's mirrored (the camera does that) and I wasn't satisified with how it look so I've turned it and redid the bash so now it looks way better.

and the t-shirt can be bought at http://openbsd.org/orders.html (it's release 3.8 that got Puffiana Jones.. ;))