Is this an Akubra?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Is this an Akubra?

Post by rebelgtp »

I just got back from seeing Ghost Rider and when Sam Elliotts character Caretaker came on the screen the first thing I noticed was what looked very close to a very battered Akubra Fed. I found myself for the rest of the movie checking out the details of this hat :lol: . In one shot the hat even had a SLIGHT green tint to it. Hmmm another movie with leather jackets and a fed :lol: ...I was also surprised to see that they used a Buell X1 as Johnny's stunt riding bike.

here are a couple screen caps of the hat.

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i can't really tell. from what i see, the ribbon bow is not as pinched as the federations.....need a better view of it. pretty decent hat though....thats definitely a movie that i want to check out.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

A federation with a C-dent would look like that, I think. But then, so would plenty of other hats.

Cheers
Craig
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yeah it did have a c dent in the movie. what really got me wondering was because in one shot it did have the tell tale green tint to it :lol: .
Russ
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Russ »

Is it even a felt hat? That top photo has what apperas to be non-felt wrinkles as if it were a canvas hat.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yep its a fur felt, those pics just aren't that great and there aren't many online. i did find one more that shows just how beat up this poor hat is :shock: ... it looks like its been trampled and then caught in a down pour more than once... :lol:

Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Well that ribbon sure looks like the one on an akubra to me , it has that slight purple hue to it
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

That bow sure ain't no Akubra bow...at least not any recent Akubra bow that I've seen...granted, the costume folks could have swapped it (I wouldn't blame them, I never liked the bow on my Akuba much either :lol: ). I'm not sure whether the hat is an Akubra or not, but it's possible the "greenish tint" might have been due to the stage lighting on set in combination with the movie dust on the hat. My old Akubra Fed Deluxe has looked all sort of different colors when it's dirty. You know, if anything, the more I look at this hat, the more it looks like a DP to me...now I doubt it is, but with the short, tapered crown, the c-dent and a few other things, it reminds me a lot of my old DP's.

-GCR
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I haven't seen the movie but I think we're talking about two different hats here. Judging by the gallery images on the movie's website, Sam appears to have a shorter brim lighter colored hat in the day scenes and a wider brim brown hat in the night scenes. It's nearly impossible to guess what the hat might be but here's my 2 cents. The hat in the day scenes looks a lot like a Stetson Temple. It has the same crown, appears to have the same dimensions and the bow looks identical, even down to the extra folds on the knot. Being a former Temple owner, I can also say that my hat looked like total heck after just one wetting, much like Sam's does in the film.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Akubra or not (I don´t think it´s an Akubra) nice hat and what film is this, I want watch this, looks like a well elaborated character :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's the new release, 'Ghost Rider'.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Thanks alot Michaelson :wink:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

As an Australian with an Akubra fetish, I would say it may well have been a Cattleman or a Lawson with some steaming, reshaping and a new band. One givaway is the thickness of the felt.

My 5 cents worth.

- CM