Alden Vs Carolina - Photo shootout!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Alden Vs Carolina - Photo shootout!

Post by Kt Templar »

Well thanks to a bit of good fortune and Indiana Janice, (she no longer wanted them and we are the same size!) I now have myself a pair of nicely broken in Aldens for a very reasonable price.

These Carolina Huskers are US6.5EE, and the Aldens are marked US6.5D.

You'll notice the Aldens are flatter at the toe because of not having the steel toe but they also seem slightly longer. This is partly due to the sole extending further out than the sole on the Huskers.

The "Inside space" of the 2 shoes is very similar, I must say both are very comfortable, but the Aldens feel like a shoe when you put them on, very comfortable. You do notice the rigidity of the shank in these boots.

The Aldens are also noticably heavier than the Huskers, perhaps 30% more so.

What would I buy given a chance again and new at full retail and exact fit a shop? I'd go for the Huskers, they are darn good value and good strong boots.

I'd only get the Aldens if money was no object and you really have to be screen accurate, currently, for me at least, they have priced themselves as too much of a luxury. Under US$150 I'd think about it. (As the price is currently $290 that's way out of my shoe budget!).
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

These pics should be cataloged on the main site.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

As I've said elsewhere the Huskers are a great looking close-enough but why compare them to the Alden's when the Huskers aren't available anymore? Yeah, they've got some up for sale on Ebay but it's hit or miss and your lucky if you can find them in your size.

If these were still available through normal means I'd say go for it but it makes no sense to give people a cheaper "close-enough" option that they're going to be lucky to find. ](*,)

The same goes for the Oak Creek pants. I don't even mention them anymore because they're discontinued.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Pitfall Harry wrote:As I've said elsewhere the Huskers are a great looking close-enough but why compare them to the Alden's when the Huskers aren't available anymore? Yeah, they've got some up for sale on Ebay but it's hit or miss and your lucky if you can find them in your size.

If these were still available through normal means I'd say go for it but it makes no sense to give people a cheaper "close-enough" option that they're going to be lucky to find. ](*,)

The same goes for the Oak Creek pants. I don't even mention them anymore because they're discontinued.
Oh, Harry don't get all wound up just cos they aren't available in your size! The fact is they are still available and some people may be able to get them in their size. The pics are also there to illustrate just how good a close enough they actually are. The side profile is very very similar, eyelets are unobtrusive just like the Aldens. The big differences are the toe is much higher and the sole is a cheaper thicker modern alternative.

As to the difference between D and EE, that's the difference I have here and all you need to do is put in an insole and do the boot up tighter.

If you can get a pair for $24 it's almost silly not to do so.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I'm not getting "wound up". It's not just me that can't find the right size. I probably would pass on them even if they did have my size because of the steel toe. I also wouldn't spend the money, no matter what the cost , on something that you'd have to adjust after buying. Why purchase a shoe you know isn't going to fit to begin with? :shock:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I'm not getting "wound up". It's not just me that can't find the right size. I probably would pass on them even if they did have my size because of the steel toe. I also wouldn't spend the money, no matter what the cost , on something that you'd have to adjust after buying. Why purchase a shoe you know isn't going to fit to begin with? :shock:
LOL, Harry, I actual don't know the difference in measurement between the widths. You would have thought they'd be significant otherwise why would people do it?

My take is this, as these are boots and a lot of the fit come down to how tight you do up the laces and how thick socks you wear, you may very well get away with the difference between a D and a EE. Like you I've never seen width fittings (on adult shoes anyway), perhaps I just usually buy cheap shoes!

Anyway you're got the Sketchers anyway so it's a moot point.

Most people who've bought the Carolinas seem pretty happy with them.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

It's not that I've got a problem with comparing the Aldens and the Huskers because they are very close. In some ways I think the Huskers are better.

My only concern is that you made it seem like the Huskers are still available on a normal basis. It just didn't want someone new seeing these and get their hopes up and then there not available in the size they need.

Yeah, I did pick-up the Skechers but what does that have to do with this? Just because I have those doesn't mean I can't point that out. I guess I don't understand how that connects with this.

I posted shots of my boots just to give people another option. I don't care if they buy them or not. It's not like I own that company. :lol:

You might be right about the size thing for me. I just don't want to take the chance ordering them and then not being able to return them if they weren't right. If it would have been a normal online retail store that would be different but it's Ebay and I don't even want to mess with returning something there.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Hey, that's great. I never said if you can find them don't get them.

Like I said above. I've been on the fence with these boots for sometime now do to the available size and the steel toe. I can't say if I would or wouldn't have bought them if found my size. Yes, they are the closest any of us have seen to the Aldens and at $50 or $25 they're a great deal.

For people like myself and the others who can't get the correct size in this shoe it does us no good. It seems there aren't very many options being offered out there. It's either the Aldens or the Huskers that are constantly being mentioned.

I've been looking around for quite some time for boots that not only would look good enough but also be affordable and comfortable. Since the Huskers aren't "Officially" available anymore I would think people would be trying to search out alterantives. Not all of us can or want to spend $250 on a boot.....Which was the point of the Huksers to begin with.

So where does that leave people when the Huskers aren't an option? In my case I was willing to overlook a little "fancy" stitching so I lucked out and got a great boot at for $35. I also offered it as alternative because I knew there were people out there in the same boat I was in.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

Kt Templar wrote: you may very well get away with the difference between a D and a EE
My usual shoe size is a EEE and the only ones available were EE. I took a chance and ordered them anyway and the fit was perfect. Just some usual ankle cutting. I also think that you may be able to do it.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

"Ankle cutting"? That doesn't sound very comfortable. :wink: :lol: I'm guessing that went away after you broke them in.

I spent a lot of time going back and forth over all of that and I finally gave up on the whole thing. I found a pair of boots here in town that work for me and they didn't require any break in time. Which I was rather surprised about because most new shoes are very stiff. These weren't.

Besides, I'm not a big fan of ordering any shoe or boots over the net. I'd rather try them on first.

To get Kt's thread back on track because I derailed it. It's hard to believe by looking at both boots that whoever came up with the design for the Huskers didn't have the Aldens in mind.

As far as the color goes I prefer a little bit lighter brown and the Aldens, depending on the lighting , seem to come off sort of reddish. The Huskers are a little to dark for me too....but IF I had to choose between the two I'd take the Huskers color.
independent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by independent »

Aldens are US $300+ now. I thought these were like 250 a couple years ago. They seem to be adding 50 bucks every couple of years.

Also, the fit of Aldens is not an easy thing. I had to return 3 pairs before I got the right one. For me, it's runs longer and narrower. So my marked size is 1/2 size shorter than my measured length, and one width size wider than my measured width.

Obviously some haven't experienced these sizing quirks, but if you're going to drop 3 bills on a pair of kicks, better make sure it fits perfectly from day 1, especially since it's an orthopedic shoe.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Very nice pic comparison!
Thanks... :)