Wall of whips with pics!!!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

midwestwhips
Vendor

Wall of whips with pics!!!

Post by midwestwhips »

I was going through some of my pictures, and I found some of these that I took back in June. I thought they looked pretty cool. What do you all think?

The top row are stockwhips, and the Zorro and Andromeda whip.

The second row are the Indy Style whips.

The bottom row are the fancier 24 and 36 plait whips, along with the 48 plait Henderson stockwhip.

I hope you all like these pics.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

:shock: :shock: Good God Man !! Awesome.....simply awesome ! :clap: :clap:

Any for sale ? I like the russet color one with the black in the handle.....Or the all black one......or....well.....all of them... :mrgreen:
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hi Ripper,

Some of those whips I've sold off and replaced with others, some are for sale, and some I may never sell. The Russet one with the black in the handle is the Whip Alex Green used in the T.V. show Andromeda. And that is the Zorro whip that Sir Anthony Hopkins used in Zorro right next to it!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips

PS- I found another cool picture that I may have posted before from a couple years ago of Chris Camp's and my collection at the time.

WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I'd love to see more pics.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Wow! :shock:

I mean, how do you pick one, or du you just bring 'em all out cracking? ;)

Beautiful! :)

Regards,
Swindiana
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I'd have to say for those who don't realize it. The stock whip in the photo which is coiled and hanging down is an authentic Cecil Henderson whip from the 30's or 40's. You've most likely read about Cecil Henderson in David Morgan's "Whips and Whip Making" book. It's a beautiful 24 plait, 2 tone whip that someone had actually put a twisted willow handle on. The new handle is a 40 plait handle made by Paul after doing lots of reseach.
We went out and cracked that whip one day in April. What a dream. It's no wonder that he was considered one of the best whip makers of his time and possibly ever. After all these years it rolled out smooth as silk.
What a treat.

You may also notice a matched pair of half plait two-tone stockwhips next to the Alex Green whip. Paul loaned those two me a while back .... and he's never gonna get 'em back. Never.

all the best.
Chris
Dakota Hurly
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dakota Hurly »

:shock: Now my whip will be part of that collection!!! Amazing!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Ok Paul, I’m so jealous that I am contemplating abusing my moderator powers here and banning you! :lol: Seriously those are great pictures and really one fantastic collection of whips! I even I like the rack you have them on too! So then just so that we are clear, I won’t ban you and the Zorro whip and the Henderson stock whip go to me if, God forbid anything bad happens to you, Right? :twisted: Good, Ok then that is settled :wink: . All the best.

Oh and to add what Chris said, Cecil Henderson was also the whipmaker for the famed Australian sportsmen and stuntman Rex (Snowy) Baker and his whipcracking protégés Douglas Fairbanks Sr. in Don Q son of Zorro, and for Tim McCoy among others, so he was making whips for the Movie and entertainment Industry long before David Morgan.

Dan
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Unbelievable.... :D
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Okay, here's my floor of whips. I may not have whips from TV and film like Paul, but one of my stockwhips was owned by John Brady, Australia's famous whip performer.

Some may notice the black, green, and white stockwhips in Paul's collection. My pair look similar, though they are black, purple, and white.

-Adam
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Ok.....Here is my whip.......

All bask in its glory....admit it your jellous....
Ok.. I only have one but I am working on it... I also need to take new picture of it :lol: :wink:

P.S. Paul Made my whip as well.....Ill be burried with it.
Last edited by Ripper on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Adam,

You can't help yourself can you? :D

Paul,

That's an awesome collection, and great pics too! I also like your rack as well, very clever.

I really look forward to meeting you to have the chance to see your great collection and talk whips till exhausted :D

Take care my friend,

Bernardo

P.S. Can you label the Indy whips please?
USNavyBlueAngel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by USNavyBlueAngel »

Paul ~ AWESOME collection of whips!! They all look amazing. Could you do me a favor & just take a picture of the Andromeda & Zorro whips? With my "novice eye", I can't quite pick those out in there. Thanks.....

Chris ~ GREAT to see you posting again! April is coming up faster than you would believe, and I'm totally looking forward to seeing you in Oklahoma!!!!! :D

Adam ~ All of the whips in your collection are very impressive as well. I especially LOVE those stock whips in the lower right hand set. BEAUTIFUL multi color handles!!! You really do a great job in whip making.... 8)
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Adam....What is the Wood handle whip? It looks to be a two tone. Its the one on the bottom left cluster. Thanks! 8)
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

"You can't help yourself can you?"
How funny Bernardodc. I was thinking the same thing.
Makes me want to listen to some Irving Berlin tunes.

Cathy. I can't wait 'til April. I'm hoping to go out a couple of days early too. We're gonna have a great time.

Ripper. It starts with one. It's all down hill from here my friend. At least you started with a good one. Hopefully you won't have to be burried with it too soon. I will admit. There are some thing worth going back into a burning building for.

Adam — Which one was owned by John?
Is it the one that you won last year?

BWBorton — We need to chat sometime. I'd enjoy that.

The first person that gets the Irving Berlin reference gets a wink from me.

C
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

BWB, ban them all....lock this thread down! looking at all of these beautiful whips is painful when its below freezing and snowing outside!

hey sable, i think we're gonna have to rent out an indoor venue to chuck the leather around....and i don't mean football.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Bernardo,

I've been meaning to post an updated pic of my collection for a while, and Paul's pictures inspired me to get it done. When are you going to meet Paul? Are you coming to the WWAC convention in April?

Cathy,

Of the stock whips in the lower-right corner, I only made two of them, the ones on each end of that pile. Janine Fraser made the 4 in the center with the purple, black, and white handles and the red, brandy, and yellow handles.

Ripper,

The wood handled whip is a swivel-handled bullwhip I made for my dad several years ago. It's made from cowhide and white elk hide. My dad shot the elk and had the hide tanned.

Chris,

Yes, it's the whip I won last year. It's the stockwhip on the left end of the upper-right pile. It looks like 3 matched stockwhips together because I got a pair of Schultz stockwhips made just like the Brady whip, only a little heavier.

-Adam
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Holy Moly,
What an impressive array of beautiful whips. Adam and Paul you certainly should be proud of your collections; beauty as well as quality, quality over quantity.

I love seeing pictures of quality whips from accomplished makers.

I am inspired to submit some pictures of my own collection; perhaps I will when time allows.

-Kudos Paul and Adam-

Boggs
LemonLauren
Vendor

Nice...

Post by LemonLauren »

Sweet collection! Quite the variety, and all very beautiful. I'm new on here, so I'm not sure if you've done this yet already or not, but I'd enjoy seeing a mélange post of just whips you've made too at some point. Awesome :D

Lauren
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Welcome to COW LemonLauren....... :wink:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

:shock: :shock: That's some collection!
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Swindiana wrote:Wow! :shock:

I mean, how do you pick one, or du you just bring 'em all out cracking? ;)

Beautiful! :)

Regards,
Swindiana
Swindiana,

I usually just bring about half of those with me, and whatever I feel like cracking I grab out of the bag. The difficult thing is choosing which ones to bring. And I think I need a new bag, it is tearing from all of the weight, and the zipper doesn't work anymore! :shock:
Canasta wrote:I'd have to say for those who don't realize it. The stock whip in the photo which is coiled and hanging down is an authentic Cecil Henderson whip from the 30's or 40's. You've most likely read about Cecil Henderson in David Morgan's "Whips and Whip Making" book. It's a beautiful 24 plait, 2 tone whip that someone had actually put a twisted willow handle on. The new handle is a 40 plait handle made by Paul after doing lots of reseach.
We went out and cracked that whip one day in April. What a dream. It's no wonder that he was considered one of the best whip makers of his time and possibly ever. After all these years it rolled out smooth as silk.
What a treat.

You may also notice a matched pair of half plait two-tone stockwhips next to the Alex Green whip. Paul loaned those two me a while back .... and he's never gonna get 'em back. Never.

all the best.
Chris
Chris,

When I said you could borrow them, I meant for you to break them in, not STEAL THEM!!! :lol: Don't make me call the cops! They have my initials braided into them, you wouldn't have a chance in court! :P

And you are right that Henderson, it is an amazing whip! It is back in Steve's hands now, but I'll probobly borrow it from him again to make some more notes.

(Whisper)By the way it's 48 plait on the handle.
Dakota Hurly wrote:Shocked Now my whip will be part of that collection!!! Amazing!
Dakota,

I'm looking forward to getting the whip, I can't wait to add it to the collection!!!
BullWhipBorton wrote:Ok Paul, I’m so jealous that I am contemplating abusing my moderator powers here and banning you! Laughing Seriously those are great pictures and really one fantastic collection of whips! I even I like the rack you have them on too! So then just so that we are clear, I won’t ban you and the Zorro whip and the Henderson stock whip go to me if, God forbid anything bad happens to you, Right? Twisted Evil Good, Ok then that is settled Wink . All the best.

Oh and to add what Chris said, Cecil Henderson was also the whipmaker for the famed Australian sportsmen and stuntman Rex (Snowy) Baker and his whipcracking protégés Douglas Fairbanks Sr. in Don Q son of Zorro, and for Tim McCoy among others, so he was making whips for the Movie and entertainment Industry long before David Morgan.

Dan
Dan,

Please, Please, Please don't ban me :cry: :lol:

The Henderson family were quite the talented whipmakers, Cecil especially! Definitely a whipmaker worth learning about, and probobly one of the more difficult to find information on. I believe I posted some information about Henderson in a post here a while back, I'll see if I can find a link.
winrichwhips wrote: Image
Adam,

In the top left group, is that bullwhip on the far right that 7 foot Joe Strain? And is the black bullwhip in that same group that black morgan you got off of ebay?
Ripper wrote:Ok.....Here is my whip.......

All bask in its glory....admit it your jellous....
Ok.. I only have one but I am working on it... I also need to take new picture of it Laughing Wink

P.S. Paul Made my whip as well.....Ill be burried with it.
Hi Ripper,

I recognize the table in the background of that pic, :)

I'm Jealous! I liked that whip a lot, I wish I could have kept it!!!
Bernardodc wrote:Adam,

You can't help yourself can you?

Paul,

That's an awesome collection, and great pics too! I also like your rack as well, very clever.

I really look forward to meeting you to have the chance to see your great collection and talk whips till exhausted

Take care my friend,

Bernardo

P.S. Can you label the Indy whips please?
Thanks Bernardo,

I look forward to meeting you too, I'm sure we will talk for a couple days straight!

The Rack they are on isn't as clever as it was convenient. While Growing up, my father ran a recording studio in our basement. He used to hang microphone cables on that rack. Now they hang whips, who would have thought... :lol:

I'm labeling the pics right now, I'll post them up shortly once I load them to photobucket.
USNavyBlueAngel wrote:Paul ~ AWESOME collection of whips!! They all look amazing. Could you do me a favor & just take a picture of the Andromeda & Zorro whips? With my "novice eye", I can't quite pick those out in there. Thanks.....
Hi Cathy!

I'll post a pic of each of them shortly as well. I can't wait for Oklahoma either!
Indiana G wrote:BWB, ban them all....lock this thread down! looking at all of these beautiful whips is painful when its below freezing and snowing outside!
:lol: Sorry IG, I didn't even think of how much of a tease the pictures would be! :shock:
Boggstandard wrote:Holy Moly,
What an impressive array of beautiful whips. Adam and Paul you certainly should be proud of your collections; beauty as well as quality, quality over quantity.

I love seeing pictures of quality whips from accomplished makers.

I am inspired to submit some pictures of my own collection; perhaps I will when time allows.

-Kudos Paul and Adam-

Boggs
Boggs,

Please do post some pictures of your collection if you can! I know I would love to see all of the beautiful whips you have!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

viewtopic.php?t=17666

This post has some pictures of an original 48 plait henderson handle, and a little bit of henderson info. It also has some pictures of the Zorro and Andromeda whips.

I'll post a pic of each of them here too:

Andromeda Whip -

Mask of Zorro Whip -

And here is a couple pics of the wall O' whips labeled, I did as best as I could.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Is that the 8' Joe Strain that I sold you ?
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Ripper wrote:Is that the 8' Joe Strain that I sold you ?
Yep! Still going strong, and one of my favorite Joe Strain whips I've ever cracked!!! Do you miss it? :-)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Yes.....but not as much as YOU miss the one you made for me..... :wink:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Paul,

Yes, that one pile has my 7 ft 16-plait Strain and the black Morgan I got off of Ebay. Also in the pile is a 10 ft natural tan Morgan, 8 ft Drew Schrag whip w/maple handle, 8 ft 12-plait Schultz bullwhip, and a pair of 6 ft 16-plait black Schultz bullwhips.

I'll have a 7 ft Chris Barr stockwhip to add to the collection pretty soon.

Bernardo, when are you coming to the States? Is it for the convention? Is it for something else? If possible, I'd be interested in meeting you.

-Adam
USNavyBlueAngel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by USNavyBlueAngel »

Paul, thank you SO much for taking the time to post the individual pictures, and for labeling the other ones. I really appreciate it!!!! :D
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Ripper wrote:Yes.....but not as much as YOU miss the one you made for me..... :wink:
:lol: You're probobly right!

Adam,

I can't wait to see the new schultz whips, and I really can't wait to see the Chris Barr whip!!!

Cathy,

No problem! It was a great idea! :)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Heya Paul!

Long time, no speak. Yeah, I owe you a long, involved e-mail over the document you sent me to look at. I'll get to that, I swear! And soon!

Anyway, great pix man! Reminds me that I need to contact Maurice Doohan about some stock whips. ;-)

I DO have a quick question.

The pic you added labels to. The 6' Indy Strain. Is that the one you traded me for? At first glance, (in your first post,) I thought it was, (by the shape and patina of the knot,) but couldn't tell if it was the 6' you got from me, or the 8' Strain that's from about the same period.

BWBorton, (the "Dan" to my "Other Dan:") The pictures of that C. Henderson stockwhip in no way, shape or form, do it justice! (No offence Paul. Your pics are good, but the whip is better!) Like Chris, (hi, Chris!) I've examined and cracked that whip, and I think it is one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. the AGE of the thing, and it is STILL going strong. Testament to hand-crafted quality!

Paul did an excellent job of replacing the stock. Beautiful restoration job, in the style of the old master. With his hide selection, plaiting technique, and the way he finished it, unless you were looking REALLY closely, you couldn't really tell the difference in age and manufacture.

One day, when I can afford to take out a 3rd mortgage, (and Paul doesn't have a panic attack at the thought of tackling it,) I think I'm going to have to have you make me a replica of that stockwhip.

Lauren! Heya! Long time no see! How's grad school going for YOU, (I think I'm FINALLY done!)

Indiana G: I gave up today. I couldn't take it anymore. It was wet, and raining, but I'm such a crack addict that I took a whip out in the back yard, (my 8' Nolan Indy, based on the 8' Strain Indy pictured in one of the above images,) and threw it around for about 5 minutes. Came back in, wiped it down, hung it up to dry, and conditioned the fall. I feel MUCH better now.

Anyway, thanks for the pictures. Take care folks, and happy cracking!

P.S. Once again, because of my work schedule, (and the fact that I get the ENTIRE summer off,) I will not make it to Claremore this year. However, because it looks like they're actually going to get me some BLOODY HELP teaching classes and such, I'm going to start planning on making it to WWAC nationals in 2008!

Until then, See ya at Annie Oakley!

-The Other Dan
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Adam, awesome whips! Especially the stockwhip you received from John Brady, that’s one to be proud of! Looking forward to seeing pics of the stock whip you get from Chris Barr too.

Paul, don’t worry your safe, for now :lol: .

Ripper, fantastic bullwhip! :D

Canasta, Any time I’d enjoy that too. 8)

Boggs, I would love to see more pictures of your collection aswell..

LemonLauren, welcome to Indygear and to Club Obi wan, good to have you here.

Dan (TheFish), Oh I believe it. I’ve had the fortune of seeing several examples of Cecil Henderson’s whips over the years and have done a bit of research into his work and his background along with Paul. No disrespect to our other fine whip makers bit Paul is one of the very few that I would trust to faithfully recreate one of Cecil’s whips.
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

Wonderful collection paul,, Hey, wheres the whip you made from the movie ''the rundown'' if they still have it at the studio some where, you need to get it back, :D, that would make an excellent addition.

Adam ,, you have an ever increasing awesome collection as well, have you ever submitted any of your whips to movie people, if not you should
your whips a joy to crack.

Bogg, I to would love to see your collection,
thanks in advance.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana G: I gave up today. I couldn't take it anymore. It was wet, and raining, but I'm such a crack addict that I took a whip out in the back yard, (my 8' Nolan Indy, based on the 8' Strain Indy pictured in one of the above images,) and threw it around for about 5 minutes. Came back in, wiped it down, hung it up to dry, and conditioned the fall. I feel MUCH better now.
you are a braver man than i, fish. i'm just gonna keep my crack urges pent up inside like a fiery ball of frustration......it'll at least keep me warm for the winter :lol:

i'm happy you got to throw the leather around. i know exactly what it feels like to get your much anticipated practice time in....its a foggy memory at the moment, but it's still there.

crack with care.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

thefish wrote:Heya Paul!

Long time, no speak. Yeah, I owe you a long, involved e-mail over the document you sent me to look at. I'll get to that, I swear! And soon!

Anyway, great pix man! Reminds me that I need to contact Maurice Doohan about some stock whips. ;-)

I DO have a quick question.

The pic you added labels to. The 6' Indy Strain. Is that the one you traded me for? At first glance, (in your first post,) I thought it was, (by the shape and patina of the knot,) but couldn't tell if it was the 6' you got from me, or the 8' Strain that's from about the same period.

BWBorton, (the "Dan" to my "Other Dan:") The pictures of that C. Henderson stockwhip in no way, shape or form, do it justice! (No offence Paul. Your pics are good, but the whip is better!) Like Chris, (hi, Chris!) I've examined and cracked that whip, and I think it is one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. the AGE of the thing, and it is STILL going strong. Testament to hand-crafted quality!

Paul did an excellent job of replacing the stock. Beautiful restoration job, in the style of the old master. With his hide selection, plaiting technique, and the way he finished it, unless you were looking REALLY closely, you couldn't really tell the difference in age and manufacture.

One day, when I can afford to take out a 3rd mortgage, (and Paul doesn't have a panic attack at the thought of tackling it,) I think I'm going to have to have you make me a replica of that stockwhip.

Lauren! Heya! Long time no see! How's grad school going for YOU, (I think I'm FINALLY done!)

Anyway, thanks for the pictures. Take care folks, and happy cracking!

P.S. Once again, because of my work schedule, (and the fact that I get the ENTIRE summer off,) I will not make it to Claremore this year. However, because it looks like they're actually going to get me some BLOODY HELP teaching classes and such, I'm going to start planning on making it to WWAC nationals in 2008!

Until then, See ya at Annie Oakley!

-The Other Dan
Hey Dan!

I look forward to the email, no worries, I've been quite busy myself.

These pics were taken about a month before we traded. The 6ft that is in the pictures is the one I compared with the one I traded you for. It's the 6 foot we were comparing with your 6 foot at Annie Oakley Days.

And no offense taken, you are right the pictures don't do the Henderson whip Justice. I've tried very hard to take a picture that truly shows the craftsmanship, but the pics just don't come out as perfect as I wish they would.

And thank you for the compliment on the handle I did for it. It is one of my proudest pieces, and I badly want to do another one. I just need to find the time and patience to do it. That one took a lot out of me.

It's too bad you can't make it to this years WWAC, but I hope to see you there in 2008, it is always a blast!
LemonLauren wrote:
Sweet collection! Quite the variety, and all very beautiful. I'm new on here, so I'm not sure if you've done this yet already or not, but I'd enjoy seeing a mélange post of just whips you've made too at some point. Awesome

Lauren
Lauren,

Thanks! I'm glad you made it to COW! Perhaps I'll collect some pics that show a range of my work and post them, if that is allowed, and if people want to see it.
BullWhipBorton wrote:Paul, don’t worry your safe, for now.

Dan (TheFish), Oh I believe it. I’ve had the fortune of seeing several examples of Cecil Henderson’s whips over the years and have done a bit of research into his work and his background along with Paul. No disrespect to our other fine whip makers bit Paul is one of the very few that I would trust to faithfully recreate one of Cecil’s whips.
Dan,

:notworthy: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :lol:

And thank you for that wonderful compliment, I'm blushing :oops:
racerx wrote:Wonderful collection paul,, Hey, wheres the whip you made from the movie ''the rundown'' if they still have it at the studio some where, you need to get it back, Very Happy, that would make an excellent addition.
Thanks Jim! I have no idea what happened to the whips I made that were used in "The Rundown". I still have one of the Prototype whips that was originally sent to them, they sent both of them back before they placed an order. I should see if I can get one of the ones they used in the movie back, it would be an excellent addition to the collection!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

I should see if I can get one of the ones they used in the movie back, it would be an excellent addition to the collection!
No doubt, haveing one those with that special handle where the knife blade pops out at the end, that would be just plain cool, :lol: .

Well, time to go grease up the whips,
have a good one,

laters.

Jim J.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Adam,

You've also got a nice collection there...I was wondering if you still keep your guiness bullwhip, that kip 6 footer, since its missing in that pic.

I'm definitely going again to the US in October, but I'm not sure if I'll able to make it for the convention next April. You see, I'm still paying the bills from my trip last September to visit David Morgan. :(

I'm looking forward to meeting you as well. :)

Paul,

Thanks for labeling the pics...you did a pro job! It's a really amazing collection. I know you've inspired others to post pics of their collections, but in my case, you've inspired me to keep buying more whips! :D

Moreover, after this post I really wish I can go to this year's convention in Oklahoma, so I can meet you, Adam, Chris, Mark, etc, etc.

On a side note, when I visited David Morgan, he showed me some photocopies of a few articles about Cecil Henderson, as well as some letters Cecil wrote to a customer explaining the qualities of his whips.

Since you have an interest in Cecil's life and work, you may want to ask Mr. Morgan about this material, if he hasn't already shared it with you.

Boggs,

I hope you can post some pics of your exteeeeeeensive collection. :D

Regards,

Bernardo
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Bernardo,

I sold that kip bullwhip when I was in Sweden this past fall so I could buy an exotic knife whose handle and sheath was made from engraved reindeer antler. The record I set with it was never made offical. To get the knife, I also sold 4 other whips from my collection that I had taken with me to Sweden.

Why are you coming to the US next October?

-Adam
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

midwestwhips wrote: I have no idea what happened to the whips I made that were used in "The Rundown". I still have one of the Prototype whips that was originally sent to them, they sent both of them back before they placed an order. I should see if I can get one of the ones they used in the movie back, it would be an excellent addition to the collection!
I don't know necessarily if I'd really want to SEE what happened to those whips. Propmasters can be notoriously nasty to their props. That "Throw some tape on it to get through this scene!" mentality.

You can see in the film that they've spray painted tiger stripes on the thongs, and for the first shots with the whips, (when Beck first comes to Helldorado,) when the guy get's his knuckles slashed by the guy with the two Jacka whips, they've put a little metal barb on the tip of the fall for the "Hero Prop" shots.

The production sketches of the whips also show diamond-shaped metal studs installed down the transition section of the thong. Who knows what else they put on the actual props.

One of the monkey-head handles was on e-Bay about a year ago, and I almost got it, (to send to Paul to have a new Rundown whip put on it, or to trade a new whip out for.) But I have no idea how those things attached, (drilled through the actual handle? Tied on? Who knows?)

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony DeLongis had those whips, as he was the whip coach on that film, and supplied at least two of the whips for it, (the Jackas at the beginning.) Otherwise, they were probably either kept by the stunt guys who wielded them, or the producers as a souvenir.

-Dan
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Bernardodc wrote:Paul,

Thanks for labeling the pics...you did a pro job! It's a really amazing collection. I know you've inspired others to post pics of their collections, but in my case, you've inspired me to keep buying more whips!

Moreover, after this post I really wish I can go to this year's convention in Oklahoma, so I can meet you, Adam, Chris, Mark, etc, etc.

On a side note, when I visited David Morgan, he showed me some photocopies of a few articles about Cecil Henderson, as well as some letters Cecil wrote to a customer explaining the qualities of his whips.

Since you have an interest in Cecil's life and work, you may want to ask Mr. Morgan about this material, if he hasn't already shared it with you.

Regards,

Bernardo
Bernardo,

I wish you could make it to oklahoma this year too, but there is always 2008!

David Morgan sent me some copies of the articles about Cecil from the 50's, but I didn't know about the letters Cecil wrote. I'll have to ask him about those. And I'm glad you brought that up, because I have some pictures and Documents regarding Cecil that I forgot to send to Morgan. I'll have to try to send those out to him this week! Thanks!

Also, perhaps I'll make a post with some of the information I have on Cecil, and maybe some pictures I have of his work.

Dan,

One can only guess what happened to the whips, and how they may have been abused. I may try to get in contact with the propmaster, and see if he knows what happened to them. If nothing else I'd be curious just to know where they went.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Having been inspired by the terrific photos from Adam's and Paul's collections, I would like to share some of my own collection.

Unfortunately my photographic skills are not in the same league as Paul's and Adam's.

Best Wishes
-Boggs-

midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Boggs,

That is one EXCELLENT collection of whips! Truly amazing!

I really like your Joe Strain and Peter Jack whips, and the Victor Tella whips look awesome.

If it isn't too much trouble could you post a couple pics that show Peter Jack's break out stockwhip, and his three tones?

And do you know who made that Indywhip in this picture:

The one on the right side, the third whip down, below the two Berardo whips. And do you know who made the red handled young indy whip on the bottom right of the picture?

Also, out of curiosity, which of these whips was your first?

Again, Great pics, and great whips! Thanks for sharing!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Thanks for the gracious compliment Paul.

In addition to Bernardo's two Indy style bull whips, there is also an Indy whip made by Jim at EC whips.

As for the two red handled Young Indy whips, one was made by Bernardo and one by Giovanni Celeste.

I will post the pictures you requested. The break-out stock whip is really awesome.

My first whip was one I found in an orange grove> 50 years ago when I was about 8 years of age (the whip:long since gone, but not forgotten). I recall that it was cowhide, well made, and captivating.

My first whip as an adult was a articulated metal swivel handled bull whip, which I obtained in a trade of a Randal model #14 knife.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

WOW :shock:

That's, like, 81 whips!

I think I envy the Morgan pic the most. You'd have a really hard time putting a collection like that together today.

I also enjoy seeing the different interpretations of the three-tone design. It almost makes me want to do a three-tone whip tomorrow. I like them all, though I still think Paul's interpretation looks the most 'classic'. I'm all about classic looks.

The Simon Martin stock whip I sold you in the pic looks nice among the other whips of his. I might have to get another whip from Simon one of these days.

Thanks for posting those pics. Looking at them all makes me feel good.

-Adam
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I only have a minute to post this, but I found a picture of some of Chris Camp's whips. He sent it to me a while ago, and has since accumulated even more whips!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

I can´t believe it, I would be happy to have one David Morgan 10 Ft 12 Plait whip, but this..... :shock: :shock:
blade runner
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by blade runner »

Greetings. As a newbie who came late to the hobby of whip cracking, I can only look with envy on the fabulous collections some of you members have. I spent the last 15 years or so collecting swords and other medieval-type weapons, so I am way behind the game in collecting whips. In fact, Boggs' collection has a number of whips I saw on e-bay and would have liked to acquire but was too slow (or too cheap) to get. At any rate, seeing all these whips, I am dying for spring (or probably summer -- it sometimes doesn't dry out here in Upstate New York until July) to get here so I can get outside again and start cracking again. Anyway, I've had fun lurking around here for the last 6 months or so and I'm glad to now be a member.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Boggs, I looked at your pictures yesterday morning, but I didn’t have a chance to comment until tonight. I want to be your new best freind :lol:

That is one amazing collection of very beautiful whips :shock: ; it makes my collection look pretty sparse by comparison 8) Needless to say I was extremely impressed by your taste in whips! I especially like the Morgans, but wow what a great all around varity . I do recognized a couple of them that you beat me out on for at eBay too :lol: , glad to see that got a very good home. So I got to ask, do you use all those whips, or just keep most as a collection; you must get your leather dressing by the gallon!

I'm gonna have to get some pictures up soon.

BTW, Blade Runner, welcome to Indy Gear and Club Obi Wan! Good to have you here!
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Bull Whip,
Thanks for the kind words. One can never have too many best friends.

Actually, I have used all of the whips. I am lucky to live in Southern California where the weather favors year round whip cracking.

Obviously I have favorites that I use most often, and there are some that are too valuable/expensive to use regularly.

The photos represent aboult 2/3 of my collection, which has reached a point of critical mass (read storage space). Over many years I have derived a great deal of pleasure from collecting.

All the best,
-Boggs-
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Canasta wrote: The first person that gets the Irving Berlin reference gets a wink from me.
By the way, Chris. Yes, I got the reference, and THANKS A LOT....I've had that bloody song stuck in my head for days now....

And Bogg, if your collection ever reaches a point that you feel that it needs thinning out, give me a call. I'd be glad to help you unburden yourself. ;)

(Seriously, if you are ever ACTUALLY looking to thin things out, drop me an e-mail. I usually don't buy from e-bay, as you often never know what you're actually going to get. While makers might be named, you never know how they've been treated. Got my 6' Jacka from e-bay, and was DRY! Fall just disintegrated. Took WEEKS to get the thong thoroughly moisturized to the point of good health.)

Quick questions, though. What do you think of Vic Tella's Zenith Whips? I see you have a couple. I love the look of the transition on the things, and the DRASTIC taper, but want an informed opinion on how they handle. I've seen Vic's video, but just curious for an informed opinion. How do they handle compared to say a standard Australian style by Morgan, Strain, Jacka or Murphy?

And Paul, that whip in Bogg's collection that you made. Black(?) thong, two tone handle. On the bottom, (below the...what was it? 32 plait? that you were working on, and I was drooling over...not on...I assure you Bogg..while we were at the Indie Gathering?) Isn't THAT the design that was under the metal monkey handles in "The Rundown?"

-Dan
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Hey fish,

Just a respectful correction. I think you mean Peter Jacks'
Zenith Bullwhip. To my knowledge, Vic Tella does not make a similar type of whip.

I think the Zenith has an amazing fluidity. It lays out perfectly and it's action is as smooth as can be. I have two and they are both great whips; as are all of Peter Jacks'.

By the way on the subject of Vic Tella. I am very impressed with the quality and the beauty of his work. Some people associate him with the "adult" faction of whip cracking and don't give him his due as an artist. I assure you his work is very good.

Paul can speak for himself, but I understand that the two tone Nolan whip is the "Rundown" design; it is a very nice whip.

As I get closer to retirement, I may have to pare down my collection; I'll let you know.

All the best.
-Boggs-