My new Wested is here... :x

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My new Wested is here... :x

Post by Fatdutchman »

Well, I got my Wested jacket in the mail today. Guess what? It doesn't fit!!! Can't say I'm surprised. :roll: It's too d@m4 big. Why does everyone who makes clothing now have this incredible overwhelming compulsion to make EVERYTHING oversized???? Come on.

I gave them every possible dimension I could think of. Chest measurement 48", Waist measurement 39", shirtsleeve length 37", etc. I even gave them dimensions of a jacket that I have that fits me very well (and I can easily raise my arms in it!!!). The shoulder seam from the collar to the sleeve is 7". The "chest" measurement of the garment on the outside directly beneath the sleeves is 52". This jacket fits beautifully. The Wested jacket measures 8" from collar to sleeve, and the body of the garment is 56"!!!! The shoulders are, of course, too broad, and even with an underarm gussett, it pulls REALLY hard across the middle of my upper arms when I try to raise them. The shoulder/sleeve seam is well beyond my natural shoulder. It's like a stinkin' modern suit jacket....an OVERSIZED modern suit jacket. :x AAAGH!

I have the straps pulled all the way up to fit the waist (actually, the stomach...) and when I do raise my arms, I have huge batwings running from the straps to the underside of my arms.

On top of that, I got the European left handed zipper (after requesting the right handed one). Europeans are nuts. I can't operate a left handed zipper...especially with a right handed wind flap!!! :evil:

I have emailed Gemma for return instructions for alterations or a refund.

The leather is nice, though.... :roll:

It's a very attractive jacket...it just doesn't fit!
Last edited by Fatdutchman on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Geesh, it hasn't been your week for Indy Gear, huh? That really stinks about the Wested, FDM and I'm sorry to hear it. One gear letdown is bad enough, but two...ouch. I'm sure Wested will take the jacket back and make everything right. If you have one that fits, it really is a swell jacket.

I will say that I had a similar problem with my first Wested. It never really fit me right, either. However, this wasn't Wested's fault, but my own mistake when having my measurements taken. I was a bit too "precise" with my sizing, and when the jacket came, it was too small. I could wear it, but it was literally like a glove, a really small glove. I couldn't zip it without looking foolish and when I raised my arms above my sides, the sleeves rode up to my elbows. I should have sent it back, but I had waited so long and I was dying to wear it. I eventually sold it to someone here at COW. My second Wested fits me perfectly, however.

Anyways, hope all this gets resolved and a you find yourself a good jacket in the end!

-GCR
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

FDM, you're not having any luck as of late are ya? i'm sorry to hear that buddy, but i'm very shocked that wested didn't get your fit correctly. perhaps if peter comes back to you of why it was cut the way it was you can let us know because i haven't heard too many misses with jacket sizing unless the customer measured wrong.

as far as the zipper goes, its a hit and miss thing on requests. i don't mind my european zipper because i wear lots of women's clothing...er...i mean, i wear lots of european clothing....thats what i meant to say.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

hey FDM, just a suggestion....why don't you also send the jacket that fits you properly back to wested with the new jacket? at least peter will have something to work with.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: My new Wested is here... :x

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Fatdutchman wrote:Europeans are nuts. I can't operate a left handed zipper...especially with a right handed wind flap!!! :evil:
We no nuts... we crazy!

Seriously, it's all about supreme motor skills. 8)

Even more seriously, bummer on your new jacket, FDM. As the other gentlemen said, I'd check with Peter and see if you can sort things out. :)
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

You know, I actually considered sending this jacket of mine that fits over for them to "copy"...but then, I'd be out my best jacket for two months! I'll outline precisely to Wested what needs to be done to make the jacket fit. I still do want a Wested jacket. I do like the jacket. Like I said, I have already contacted them for returning instructions.

I'm sure my "rant" above sounded a bit harsh. Sorry. The jacket is nice, it seems well made and all, but it just don't fit. It's just that I have this kind of thing ALL the time. I have to send EVERYTHING back. Nothing ever fits me right, ever (and, no, I really ain't exaggerating)...it's always "oversize", or too short, or too narrow, or too wide. Boots, hats, shirts, jackets, pants....they never fit. No matter what I order or how detailed the measurements I give. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back (and believe me, the camel was pretty heavily laden with straw!!!), so I got kinda ill.

I'm about to order a classic '40's/50's style leather short jacket from Johnson leather in S.F. as soon as I get the leather samples and decide what color I want. (I'm getting their "M200" classic jacket. I told them I need the jacket in brown, and not black, and, of course, in a tall size, and they said "no problem, we have SIX colors of brown for you to choose from!!!". :D

I'm going to make it painfully clear to them how the jacket needs to fit me!!!

By the way, the aforementioned jacket that fits real well is one size too "small"! I had to send back the XL tall jacket I ordered and swap it for a Large tall...
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Sorry to hear about the jacket, hopefully you can get things fixed up and have a great Indy Jacket...I have the exact same concerns myself about the jacket being too big, but I went with that 80s cut to make it fit a bit better. I have a jacket that I love and would love to have an exact copy of it, but Indy style, but I'd never part with that jacket due to concerns of it being lost or damaged in the mail.

On a side note, when did you order your jacket? I'm still waiting on mine and just want a guide of how long I have to wait.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Fatdutchman wrote: I'm sure my "rant" above sounded a bit harsh. Sorry. The jacket is nice, it seems well made and all, but it just don't fit...
I see no need for apologies. It didn't seem harsh to me (but then again, I'm not European :wink: )and it's not like you were bashing Wested for this. You were upset with your jacket and you let everyone know how you felt. There's nothing wrong with that, I think. If there is one inalienable right every gearhead has, as far as I'm concerned, it's the right to be pretty well PO'ed when your gear turns out wrong. There is so much waiting and anticipation that comes with ordering gear. Expectations are set so high for the final outcome, letdowns can be very common. But when the gear shows up and there is legitimately a problem with it, it makes it that much worse. I've been there, too.

Hope it all gets sorted out!

-GCR
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Sounds like you really need a trip to England for a private fitting with Peter!

Actually, I feel your pain. I ordered one of Noel Howard's Indy shirts, and requested an XL based on the sizes of dress shirts I usually wear here, and after asking Noel about that in an e-mail. Of course it was too small. Ah well, I immediately contacted Noel, and sent the shirt back; he's sending me an XXL. Sizing is just a very difficult thing, I guess.

I intend at some point to order a shirt from Indy Magnoli, based on precise measurements, but it didn't sound like that helped you with the Wested jacket -- sounds like you gave them pretty precise measurements.

Good luck!

Randy
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Well, I got my Wested jacket in the mail today. Guess what? It doesn't fit!!!
So sorry to hear that. It is so great jacket. That's bad the first impression was spoiled. :(
On top of that, I got the European left handed zipper (after requesting the right handed one). Europeans are nuts.
Wow, I thought that's exactly what one can hear about Americans in Europe ... ;) Only joking, but don't be too harsh for us all because of the jacket from UK ;)
It's just that I have this kind of thing ALL the time. I have to send EVERYTHING back. Nothing ever fits me right,
Happy 2007! :)

And serioulsy - the Wested crew will figure it out - don't worry!

Cheers,

:junior: Raider
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

I'm always leery of using actual measurements...it always produces a jacket that is too big. BUT, as soon as I say "order me a large" or "a size 46", sure as the Devil, it WILL be too small....d@m4ed if you do, d@m4ed if you don't....

I never spent almost $400 on a jacket before either. I wanted to give ACTUAL measurements to make durn sure it would fit (knowing full well that it wouldn't).

Maybe I'm just going to have to start "undersizing" myself. :-k Maybe I am actually a 44 tall?

Oh, Kev, I ordered the Jacket about October 23rd.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Thanks for the info, I'm only a few days behind...I hope you can get the jacket fixed to where it fits right and soon!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Wow, I really don't know what the problem is. You sure you haven't got a dodgy tape measure? 8) The sleeve measurement is from the shoulder seam to the first knuckle and the back is from the nape of the neck to the top of the back pockets of your trousers.

I'd remeasure yourself and confirm the measurements of your favourite jacket.

As for the left handed right handed zipper? How hard can it be?

As an experiment I just tried on a jacket with a right handed zipper (oops cross-dressing in the forums! LOL) it did it up just as normal and pulled the zipper pull with my left hand.... what's the problem? It feels a little odd but it's nothing like doing up buttons the opposite way round.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

I've been measured a thousand times. I've measured the jackets a thousand times. The length of the new Wested isn't the problem, it's that it's at least a whole size too large (possibly two). (I imagine the length WILL be a problem when the jacket is brought down a size...)

The zipper is just bass-ackwards, and when undoing the zipper you have to pull down with your right hand, then stop, flip the wind flap open, swap hands, and pull the two sides apart. I wasn't all THAT worried about the zipper, but if I'm gonna send the jacket back, that's gonna get fixed too.

I still haven't received a response from Wested (it is the weekend), so I'm waiting to see what they say. Most accounts have them as being quite fine at fixing problems.

Soooo, I'm still without a leather jacket of any kind that I can really wear. I'm really lookin' forward to my Johnson Leather jacket. Hopefully I'll have better luck.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Maybe they shipped you with the wrong jacket. It happened in the past.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

Well, I did get the gussetts (which are not helpful when the jacket is as oversized as this one is) and the extra inside pocket, both of which I requested, so I assume this is the correct jacket.

Now, if I could get gussets put into the underarms of the jacket in my avatar, I could actually wear it! (it's a Cooper A2 that I got back in the '80's sometime...cut in typical oversize fashion. It's labeled "44 long"...technically one or two sizes too small). It looks great on me when I'm standing with my hands in my pockets, but don't ask me to raise my arms while wearing it!!! :shock:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

You ordered a 48 and got a jacket that measures 56" around the chest? If so, it sounds like you got someone else's jacket. Wested's are cut with 4" of movement room. A true size 48 should measure 52" around the chest. Looks like you got sent a size 52. :shock:
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

See, now, 52" is exactly the size of the jean jacket I have that fits me quite well! (it could stand to be a tad smaller, but definitely no larger). Maybe I got someone else's jacket, or maybe they simply grabbed the wrong pattern to cut from...
spiridon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by spiridon »

Dang, sorry to hear about the hassles FD. I gotta admit it makes me a tad nervous since I just placed an order on Friday. However I did receive an email this morning confirming my order and order#......hope it all works out well for you.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

Well, Gemma says they'll offer me a refund, no problem, which I'll take. :wink: They can't make me a new jacket right now since they are out of goatskin.

Well, that's attempt number TWO on getting an Indy jacket!!! I guess I'll try Flightsuits (G&B) next...

And I just mailed the Akubra deluxe back today too....
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Fatdutchman wrote:Well, Gemma says they'll offer me a refund, no problem, which I'll take. :wink: They can't make me a new jacket right now since they are out of goatskin.

Well, that's attempt number TWO on getting an Indy jacket!!! I guess I'll try Flightsuits (G&B) next...

And I just mailed the Akubra deluxe back today too....
And if I were you, I wouldn't bother buying any lottery tickets for awhile! :wink:

Randy
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Keep us informed as to how the G&B goes and the timings.

Considering the issues you've had with sizings I'd suggest you phone up and talk though exactly how you'd like your jacket to fit they might be able to suggest which one of their standard sizes might fit you better.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

I don't EVER buy lottery tickets!!! They've been described to me once as a "tax on the stupid"....I tend to agree! :lol: (alright, now people will be mad at me!!)

One of the great advantages I see in dealing with Flightsuits or US Authentic (flightjacket.com) or someone like that in America is that you can get a jacket, try it on, see if it fits, and easily send it back for a different one if necessary.
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

Sorry to break this to you KT but-Wested DO make mistakes...exactly how many measurements are you supposed to give before you get a custom jacket that fits?.Saying you don't see what the problem is,when FD has made it very clear exactly what the problem is is just ridiculous..if you actually read his posts(FD actually requested a non euro zipper) you might realise exactly how frustrated the guy is.
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

By contrast, I often refer to lottery tickets as my retirement savings plan. Seriously, though, the Powerball has to get up to $100,000,000 or so before I notice it (because of the buzz on TV or whatever). I figure then it's worth $5.00.

Otherwise, I'm with you! :D

Randy
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

CairoIndy wrote:Sorry to break this to you KT but-Wested DO make mistakes...exactly how many measurements are you supposed to give before you get a custom jacket that fits?.Saying you don't see what the problem is,when FD has made it very clear exactly what the problem is is just ridiculous..if you actually read his posts(FD actually requested a non euro zipper) you might realise exactly how frustrated the guy is.
I know, I know. It sounds like they may have done this time but FDG seems to have a shape that is hard to fit right.

He does have very long arms though. 8)

I just find the left/right hand zipper thing a bit of a non issue. IMO.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

The point is moot now, since I'm sending it back tomorrow, but, I wanted a right handed zipper, they said no problem, so I should have gotten a right handed zipper. The left handed zipper is quite awkward, especially given the right handed wind flap. The zipper issue (and many others) have been described as a "hit or miss" thing with Wested anyway. It shouldn't be.

The zipper alone would not have caused me to fuss about the jacket..well, not too much, anyway. The problem was that the jacket is simply two sizes too big. It's not that the jacket was a little bit off...it was WAAAY off. :wink: As J Weaver said, it's not that the sizing is wrong, but that the jacket isn't even the size that it is marked.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I have great problems getting stuff to fit me, I'm at the opposite end of the scale to you, something like a 38 short. Often even "small" sized jackets are too big or too long for me.

The Wested was the first jacket I have ever found that fitted me exactly, off the rack. So yes! I am very, very, biased!

So I feel for you, and hope you can find one that works.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

Frankly, I'm kind of turned off of the whole Indy jacket thing now anyway. After two attempts and six months, I'm pretty sick of it all. I may eventually get one from Flightsuits, but it'll be a while.
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

If you're this far into getting the jacket, you might as well finish the process.

Being that you are sending it back, I would hope that your redo order would be checked extra carefully to be sure that it didn't happen again.

Besides Indy wouldn't give up that easy, or the Nazi's would have both the Ark and the Grail!
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

Don't give up FD!,when you've got your indy jacket you'll forget what you went through to get it and you'll be glad you stuck with it! :D (try pretending it's an AB you've ordered and not a jacket-4 month waiting list! :wink:)
geo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by geo »

I'm getting very apprehensive reading this, because mine is on the way, and I really wouldn't like to have any problems with it, as I've been waiting for it for 2 months already. 2 months after ordering the jacket, pants, hat, belts and gloves, all I have is 2 web belts and a right-hand glove! :cry:
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Besides Indy wouldn't give up that easy, or the Nazi's would have both the Ark and the Grail!
Masterfulks! That was VERY well said! :tup:

Fight Fatdutchman, be strong! :) You have still some time before IJ4 premiere ;)
geo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by geo »

all I have is 2 web belts and a right-hand glove
CORRECTION: I now have a jacket! Well worth the wait, looks a lot better "in person" than in any of the pictures. I got the authentic lamb, and it's light and soft. It fits great too, and I got a standard size, without any size or dimension alterations.
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Congratulations, Geo. My jackets are all lambskin, and I love each and every one!

Randy