ideal popper condition?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

ideal popper condition?

Post by slowdevil »

As I said, I'm pretty new to bullwhips. The current popper at the end of my whip looks to be in pretty good condition, but the frays are very long. Would I get a better crack if I cut it down a tad? It seems like long frays would give a softer pop, in my naive opinion, granted I'm still only getting a crack about one in ten tries anyway.

Justin
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I would say it is just the reverse. GraveRobberGreg has had some of his poppers have the fray get fairly short and I thought it made a more muffled crack. When he put on a new popper, it went back to being loud.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Re: ideal popper condition?

Post by Mola Ram »

slowdevil wrote:As I said, I'm pretty new to bullwhips. The current popper at the end of my whip looks to be in pretty good condition, but the frays are very long. Would I get a better crack if I cut it down a tad? It seems like long frays would give a softer pop, in my naive opinion, granted I'm still only getting a crack about one in ten tries anyway.

Justin
Thats exactly what you do want. The more frayed the cracker, the better the crack you are going to get. If you were to cut it down, you would need to put a new one on sooner, and the cracks wouldent be anywhere as easy to do. If anything, you would deffinatly hear a diffrence in the sound the whip makes when you crack it with a shorter popper.
Adam
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

thanks

Post by slowdevil »

Thanks for your help, guys! I was ready to grab the scissors and see what happens.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Too much fluff at the end of a popper/cracker is no good, it will cause it to want to float in the air and not produce as sharp a crack. I find around 2 - 2 1/2 inches is ideal and with nylon it will last a fair amount of cracking. Just as an FYI, If it starts to wear down to less then an inch, you can also tie a new knot lower on the popper and then undo the old knot to give you more of that frayed tip to get a bit more use out of them.

Dan
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Too much fluff at the end of a popper/cracker is no good, it will cause it to want to float in the air and not produce as sharp a crack. I find around 2 - 2 1/2 inches is ideal and with nylon it will last a fair amount of cracking. Just as an FYI, If it starts to wear down to less then an inch, you can also tie a new knot lower on the popper and then undo the old knot to give you more of that frayed tip to get a bit more use out of them.

Dan
It can also keep getting tangled on the whip, and tangled up onto itself.
I guess I assumed It wasent that big...... 8-[ I was thinking density of the twine, if all the treads had stretched apart or not, instead of overall length.