Collar Style

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Collar Style

Post by Rusty Jones »

Hey, I just wondered how many people ever wear their collar up like in the Idol Grab scene... (I started with a motorcycle jacket so I kinda dig the popped collar look...) anyone else? I've just never seen anyone post pics with their collar that way...
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

yeah, I often go outside when its cold, so I usually wear the collar up then. :junior: -IJ
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

IndianaJones wrote:yeah, I often go outside when its cold, so I usually wear the collar up then.
I do that too - whenever its cold I pop up my collar. I like the way it looks, it's pretty cool.

Do we know why Indy did it? He never did it after that... and we never see him flip it up - but he keeps it throughout most of the scene doesn't he? Doesn't look like an accident.

In Christ,
Shane
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

He did it as he entered the temple,,must've been a little chilly in there. Also, maybe it may have helped keep the creepy crawlies from climbing up onto his neck, or prevent them from hiding in the fold of the collar. But I'd say mostly for the chilly factor.

TR
TFrosst
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TFrosst »

It is a movie guys. There's no way that scene was cold. Studio lighting makes it very warm. It was probably because of the bugs/webs/other stuff that could have gone down his back when filming.
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Or maybe Spielberg thought that it looks cool. :-k
Darth
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I wear my Raiders Wested collar up when there's a cold wind. It works great because those collars are huge when they're totally flipped up. Combined with the hat's brim, it would probably keep falling debris and insects out of your clothes.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

I always assumed it was a throw back to the original concept painting that they decided to keep for that scene for continuity but axed for the rest because they liked the collar down look better.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Darth V.A.D.E.R wrote:Or maybe Spielberg thought that it looks cool. :-k
Darth
And that's probably the answer!
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

I like Rusty's answer :)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm pretty sure I read that the collar was up because of the scene with the Tarantulas on his back. The spiders are on his back as soon as they set foot into the temple and when they are noticed on his back, look how for up on his back they are. One also even touches the back of the collar.
Notice after that scene how the collar is not really up anymore the same way? It is up a bit when they first walk in on the idol, but thats it and may just be to keep consistency.