Two pic's of a screen used whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

K on the run
Vendor

Two pic's of a screen used whip

Post by K on the run »

I was at the film convention in Malmö this weekend http://propworld.nu/ and there was a Indy whip on display (along with a ammo-box and a clapboard, I'll post pic's in General Prop Discussion)

The whip is from LC.
-
Enjoy
-Kim

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Excellent pics!!Thanks very much :D
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Yeah,thanx K!
I never saw so nice pics of real Indy whip.
Darth
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Great pics, thaks for posting them. The whip looks very dark in colour - I guess it has aged that way. Still looks in great shape!

PM sent.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

that baby looks spo on like my saddle tan joe strain, beautiful pics man!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I see a bit of taper on the handle right below the turkshead knot. I've never seen that on any screen whip. Usually the handle is pretty uniform in diameter all the way up.

Thanks for posting these.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Check out this pic - that's a fairly tapered handle.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Whisky,

That was the EXACT pic I was thinking of when Agent5 said he had never seen that taper before. A lot of older Morgans seem to have that hourglass shape to the handle, but it most evident on the ToD whips. I happen to like it -- it make the handle a better shape, rather that just a straight cylinder...

~Jace
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

I saw that one when I was in Göteborg in March.
Did you see the Clip Board also from LC?
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

The handle is indeed tapered, I to was a bit surprised but I'm no expert so I didn't comment on it :oops: .
Indy_Railok, yes I saw it and the pic is here:
viewtopic.php?t=17432&highlight=

:D
-K
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

I used to make the handles on my bullwhips without a layer of leather. I liked the look, and for some time, so did many other people. But, people stopped asking, and I stopped making them that way only for that reason. If anyone has a picture of one that I've made for them like that, throw up a picture.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

K, Great Pictures. I am guessing that bullwhip was from the Last Crusade too? It’s not unusual to see a slight tapering where the handle gets narrower towards the bottom turkshead knot and bulges towards the top knot. I’ve seen it on a few other screen used Indy bullwhips and on some older Morgan bullwhips in general. With each one being hand made though there is some variation in the taper from whip to whip, some are very pronounced others are barely noticeable, if there at all. I rarely see that type of taper one newer Morgan’s made in the fast 5 or 6 years. Picture angles can make it a more noticeable too.

Dan
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

@ Paul Stenhouse:

here is one of those whips. I bought it off from Jim Markell a few years ago. The handle looks good but is too thin for my hands and the foundation is twisting a little. But the whipthong itself is the best bullwhip I have ever held in my hands (I had a look and crack on several Morgans and pageys, winrichs, a Duke and a Bernado, they only who seemed equal in quallity was Winrich, but this speccial 9ft. Stenhouse I owe is the best ballanced whip you can think of:

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Here's a pic of a Dave Morgan I purchased in 2002. This is one of the last whips he said he'd do with the original handle design as in the films. Two of them where made which I eventually owned, but this one went to Chris King. The one I kept had a much more uniform hadle but this one here looks to me to be exact to that TOD pic posted above.

The handle is being compared to a 2001 Morgan (darker,left side) which has the newly improved handle design.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

I just had a look at some photos from earlier film convention in Malmö and found an other pic of the same whip from a different angle. It doesn't look tapered at all in this shot :-k

-Kim

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Looks like the strands are coming unravelled at the hitch. Still great!!
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

whiskyman wrote:Looks like the strands are coming unravelled at the hitch. Still great!!
Yes, it could do with a new loving home.... mine :lol: