I want to see.....

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

I want to see.....

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

a video of someone, who's got the ability to (meaning a whip they don't mind beating up), swing from their whip. I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, but I'd like to see it.

Moderators: if this is too much like a Jack ### stunt, then forget it. But, it is something we all want to see.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

and I don't mean swinging over a gully. I'm talking about level ground.

I'm not going to do it, but was wondering if anyone had that inclination to do so.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

send me a free whip, and I will gladly swing from it :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I KNEW someone was going to say that :lol: .....heck, send me one of your whips, Paul, and I'LL do the stunt....with one of my OLD whips. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Send Michaelson a whip and I'll personally fly over there and film it... Though all the action will be done by Ken is my guess. 8)

Still, a good reason to visit. :)

Regards,
Swindiana
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

The ones that I have left are all at various stages of my learning, so I just couldn't part with them.

Actually, this thread took an angle I hadn't quite considered.

Remeber that kid who said Mark Allen sent him a bogus, beat up whip? I think he swung from it. The only thing was he forgot to film it!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Swindiana wrote:Though all the action will be done by Ken is my guess. 8)

Regards,
Swindiana
HECK yes....old Michaelson ain't no dummy! I didn't get ALL these gray hairs just because I have two daughters! :lol: :-s :roll: ....then again.... :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Paul,

Do you care about the design of the whip? What I mean is does the steel core whip Adam made count or were you looking for one that wasn't enhanced?

I wonder if rebelgtp did try swinning on it . . . .

Best,
Herr Jones
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I think the rules should be refined for this challenge.

I know I could take my 22 ft nylon cow whip out, throw it over a basketball hoop or something, have the handle in one hand and the popper ( or some part of the whip) in the other and pull myself off the ground.

I'm guess Paul wants to see someone crack the whip around something, have it hold, and then swing from it. I'd have no trouble doing this with a nylon whip. (Well, I might have trouble actually doing it, but I mean I wouldn't worry about hurting the whip).

Also, I think it would be even more interesting if we could have some sort of prize or reward for he who submits the first video, though more whips and bodies might get injured in the process.

-Adam
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Adam,

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Crack, swing, and then get the ladder to un-stick the whip from whatever it's around. I say get the ladder because in the movies when you see a flick of the wrist, post-swing, to release it, I think can't happen from my experience. If it holds, it's holding on for good!

The steel cabled whip would work, too.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

Dear Paul,

as you know I'm a great fan of your whips (especcialy of the one I owe myself) For everyone who don't know my whip, here is the picture again, it's a 9ft:

I'm a great fan of swinging, I did it a few times when I was jounger with my 12ft. Morgan. My weight is arround 140 lbs ( 70kg ).
I never dare swinging with your whip yet, although I allways wanted to try it. So here it comes:

If you think that my well used (but not abused) bullwhip, made by yourself, will not break and you would make me a good priece for another 9ft. Indywhip, simmiliar in balance, lenght and weight of my actuall one, I will go into the woods, get a good trunk, and swing on it with videotaping it. No matter what happens, I'll post it :arrow: I promise :lol:
what do you think?
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

You know, I wonder if Ken did any swinging in Templars?? What would an Indy movie be without some whip swingin'? You may want to PM him, Paul.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I was at a fur-trade reenactment a month ago and they had some trees that would have worked for swinging. So, I got out my 22 ft nylon whip and thought I'd give it a try. After a few attempts, I got enough wraps around the branch so the whip would hold. Then I put my weight on the whip and felt how the whip was stretching under my weight. I really like my 22 footer, so I didn't put all my weight on it to swing from it.

So, I'd say the real advantage to a cable-cored whip is that it won't stretch like a braided whip.

-Adam
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Yeah, I guess that's a LONG whip that doesn't need to be any longer, Adam. :wink:

22 feet... What a monster! :shock: :D

Regards,
Swindiana
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Shawnkara wrote:You know, I wonder if Ken did any swinging in Templars?? What would an Indy movie be without some whip swingin'? You may want to PM him, Paul.
IIRC, I remember chatting with Ken awhile back, and he mentioned something about a steel core whip, to use in his film. Not sure if they went that route, though.
'Blues
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I think molorom made them a steel cable whip, don't know if it was used tho. Haven't heard anything.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

so anyone do this yet? :lol:

oh and to answer the above question no i have not swung from my steel cable core whip yet. i've just let it support my weight :lol:
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

VP wrote:I think molorom made them a steel cable whip, don't know if it was used tho. Haven't heard anything.
I did,
I rushed through it, and It really dident look that great as a whip overall,
but would deffinatly pass from a further back camera shot.

It had a long 10 inch pipe foundation with a long 12-14 foot aircraft cable
inside of it. The cable went through the pipe and hooked together at the top
with a Cable clamp. The "tip" end of the whip was looped over with a metal brace on the inside and was made
to thow over a branch and fix to it self using a climbing clip.

It would get coiled a few times and then Could actually safetly hold about 400+ pounds. It held me AND my dad at the same time :lol:

It may not have looked to pretty, but it was the only way to be sure that the whip would never break, and was not really a good whip foundation but it held A LOT of wheight as long as you could find a good branch.

I built it on getting used for real stunt work that could hold a "stunt double" (ken :D) with out any risk of injury at all...That is un less the branch breaks. I suppose the loop at the end could have also been cliped onto something to drag from it.

They tried to fit the scene in, but I dont think it ever fit into the story location well.

I remember ken telling me they drove all around looking for a suitable branch and when they fixed the whip to it, it broke off the tree. #-o

Adam
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Thats right. It was a real shame. We desperatly wanted to get that whip swinging scene into the movie but we just ran out of time.

When we finally found the one place suitable (believe me you would be suprised how tricky it was to find somewhere in SoCal) the test swing ended up with the tree branch cracking when I reached the 3/4 length of my arc - a bit like where Stapito swings across the pit in Raiders, now I come to think of it.

Its a real shame - but conceptually it seems to work, just make sure you have a strong tie off point.

Ken
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

I swung on a whip once. I had a 10 footer one of those mexican jobbers with the wood handle. A friend and I were messing round in the backyard back in High School and we were discussing the practicalities of using a whip to swing on and how it would take several tries to get it to stay let alone well enough to swing on. Well after a dozen or so tries I got it to stay on my sisters swingset(after removing the swings) I put some weight on it and started to swing when we heard the leather stretch. Instead of doing the FULL swing I got under the bar it was attached to and out my body weight back on it. It did hold but I could hear the leather stretching again and didn't want to destroy the whip. I was alot lighter then say 135-140 back then. Now I'm about 100lbs heavier and would NEVER try that again.
I heard the movie prop had a steel cable core and was used only for the swinging scene. This makes sense. I don't think anyone has done one like that commercially but if anyone DID have one made I too would like to see pix and maybe even some video of the swinging.

:wink:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

When I was running around the woods surrounding our cabin as a lad, I used to swing from my wooden-handled dime store whip my parents got me for Halloween all the time. I worked out a system where I'd lash it around a branch, then swing the body of the whip between me and the limb over the coiled part. This would hold it in place really well. So much so that sometimes, I had to go back over to loosen it.

This worked great for the longest time...

... until the nais that held in the handle stretched out enough to where the handle slid off. So there I was with my back flat on a rock, holding the handle while the whip swung freely in the breeze. After the initial shock and disappointment, I went in, got bigger nails and continued on. But from then on out, I swung holding the body of the whip, not the handle.

Not sure how much I weighed at age 11 or 12, but I did put that 'cheap' whip through the wringer. It lasted quite a long while and saw much abuse.

Mike