New Close enough summer shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

New Close enough summer shirt

Post by Rusty Jones »

goodfriends, walking by EXPRESS (for men) today I noticed that they had an interesting shirt. Upon closer inspection I decided to get it... it was fifty dollars and seems like a very nice close enough:

it is lightweight fabric which comes "pre-wrinkled." It has epaulets (these are bit thick but taper towards their tips) and it features two pleated pockets... what I like best about the shirt is the cut; it feels very much "tighter" than most modern dress shirts and, without "ballooning" is therefore more akin to Indy's shirt. The sleeves roll up very and the have buttons on the cuffs but there is no sleeve flap button for when the sleeves are not rolled up... overall I'm pleased with the shirt so far, pics:

Wested and LC Tie:

Pic without flash to show the wrinkliness of the shirt:

Edit: forgot to mention button colour: They are a shiny off white...
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Nice shirt for a close-enough, but 50 dollars is a bit steep. On the bright side, though it is a nice shirt and I really like the fit.

Cheers
Craig
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Already wrinkled, from Express? Curious how it will look after you wash it...it doesn't say drip-dry or anything, does it? Also a wee bit peek-a-boo...good thing the pockets have pleats... ;)

Still, you're right, the pattern and color are good. But let us know if that turns into a high-maintenance shirt in a hurry...I've had bad luck w/ Express before (a long time ago when I tried 'trendy').

J
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Rusty, you need to checkout the "Indy shirt" that some of us found at Old Navy. It was only $25.00 and you can buy it online too.

viewtopic.php?t=17051

That Express shirt looks nice but $50 is a little bit steep for a "close enough". :shock:

The Old Navy shirt comes in White and Cream colors. The Cream color seems to be more screen accurate to me.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Rusty, you need to checkout the "Indy shirt" that some of us found at Old Navy. It was only $25.00 and you can buy it online too.

viewtopic.php?t=17051

That Express shirt looks nice but $50 is a little bit steep for a "close enough". :shock:

The Old Navy shirt comes in White and Cream colors. The Cream color seems to be more screen accurate to me.
OOo nice find... yeah 50 was definately pushing it but I was just so happy to find a trim cut shirt, and it felt comfortable in hot weather, so I went for it... just so you guys know, those pics are taken after washing the shirt and drying it as I would a normal dress shirt... (well a normal indy gearish dress shirt, so sans ironing...)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Rusty Jones wrote:just so you guys know, those pics are taken after washing the shirt and drying it as I would a normal dress shirt... (well a normal indy gearish dress shirt, so sans ironing...)
Ah! That explains a few things. Whew. I was afraid it was one of those clingy wrinkly-looking fabrics...forget ever washing those. Not that I know about such things... 8-[
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Rusty Jones wrote:OOo nice find... yeah 50 was definately pushing it but I was just so happy to find a trim cut shirt, and it felt comfortable in hot weather, so I went for it...
Rusty, I'm with you, and that's a sharp shirt. To get a good fit in the shoulders I have to go with a large in most shirts, but then I have to take them to the seamstress to have at least 4 inches taken out of the belly. I'd go for that shirt for the fitted style, too. In fact, had I seen this post before I went to Palm Springs this morning, I would have checked it out while I was there.

Incidentally, how is the sleeve length?