Getting the shine out

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Getting the shine out

Post by Nevada Jones »

Okay, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread so I'll make this quick.

I have a pretty much brand new Flightsuits Expedition Jacket in Goat. I've worn it a lot, but it still has a shiny quality to it that almost makes it look like the dreaded "Pleather". How can I get the leather to soften and get that mat or dull look to it?

I seem to remember advice about throwing the jacket in the dryer on "low" for half an hour? Is this true? Anyone? Of course I'm as paranoid as anyone about ruining a $408 dollar jacket so only people with tried and true methods please!!

Nevada
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

PS

Post by Nevada Jones »

I'm not looking to distress the jacket, just want to get the shine off so it won't have that "pleather" look. Thanks.

Nevada
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nevada...scroll down through this 'gear care' page. I counted no less than two discussions on this problem in my first attempt.

Regards! Michaelson
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks Michaelson! I was looking in the wrong place, computer idiot that I am. Doh!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No problem. Like they say in these parts....."right church, wrong pew!" :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Also the drying thing will probably be okay with the leather, it may cause the jacket to shrink a bit... I think it did take a bit of shine out of my Wested, but it wasnt shiny enough to bother me to begin with and I may even be imagining it because it's not the factor I paid attention to when doing my version of the drier experiment... good luck!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Michaelson wrote:No problem. Like they say in these parts....."right church, wrong pew!" :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Oh, we just say 'heretic!' and skip the smalltalk. ;)
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Right Church, Wrong Pew! Gotta remember that quote Michaelson,thanks. The rubbing alchohol strikes me as scary, since there's the possibility of rubbing the color off. As I said, I don't want to chance ruining my jacket or even distressing it. As for the drying with the chance of shrinkage, my jacket is perfect in size so I appear to be "up the crik".

Unrmmph. My life *****.

;-(
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Suggestion, though I'm a card carrying non-distress practioneer.... :?

Use a cotton ball loaded with some rubbing alcohol and wipe it on a section of leather INSIDE a part of the jacket that can't be seen....such as under one of the pocket flaps or the like. See if it removes any color, and what happens to the shine. That will tell you immediately what a light wiping of your entire jacket will look like and how it will react. If you don't like it, you've not damaged your jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Suggestion, though I'm a card carrying non-distress practioneer.... :?

Use a cotton ball loaded with some rubbing alcohol and wipe it on a section of leather INSIDE a part of the jacket that can't be seen....such as under one of the pocket flaps or the like. See if it removes any color, and what happens to the shine. That will tell you immediately what a light wiping of your entire jacket will look like and how it will react. If you don't like it, you've not damaged your jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
:shock: :shock: :shock: I find this post very disturbing. :wink: :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My hands were shaking when I typed it...... :shock: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Ragingblues wrote:Rubbing alchohol will not rub the color off. Acetate will... but that's a horse of a different color...
Ken
Wouldn't that be a horse without color???
Great picture and nice looking jacket. :wink:
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks for that RagingBlues. I was wondering if the problem was acetate and not from alchohol. That makes sense. I'll try Michaelson's suggestion with your advice as well and see how it goes.

Nevada
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Ragingblues wrote:By all means, take any advice Michaelson has to offer. Especially if it involves being cautious, by testing the alchohol on an out of sight spot on your jacket first.
He learned that the hard way, too...if you turn Michaelson over, you'll see lots of test spots now on the bottom of him. 8-[
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The rest of the wear you'll see is from NATURAL distressing.... :roll: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Ragingblues wrote:Rubbing alchohol will not rub the color off. Acetate will...
Ken
Uh, Blues...not to pick at you. *pick, pick, pick* but it's Acetone. Acetate is thin, generally clear, plastic. :D
While I'm at it, do you have your gun belt run through your belt loops WITH your web belt also? Sorry, had to point that out too. :wink:

Back to the alchohol though, yeah, it shouldn't rub of much if any color unless you go crazy with it. (on a Wested at least)
Last edited by Ark Hunter on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Ragingblues wrote: ... after the alchohol rub down, some light sanding, and water torture, followed by the dryer! ...
This is exactly the same method I use to get ready for work each day.

Michaelson! Giving advice on how to distress a jacket un-naturally. That's not, well, natural. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jess wrote:
Ragingblues wrote: ... after the alchohol rub down, some light sanding, and water torture, followed by the dryer! ...
This is exactly the same method I use to get ready for work each day.

Michaelson! Giving advice on how to distress a jacket un-naturally. That's not, well, natural. :wink:
I was 'naturally distressed' when I typed the information....so that counts...sort of.. 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

I used alcohol and a cloth and worked evenly all over before I hit it with the acetone.. Worked oK...
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

And that was Methylated Spirits alcohol not "whiskey" !!