HJ supposedly closed for refurbishing

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

HJ supposedly closed for refurbishing

Post by Michaelson »

We received an email this morning from a London native that Herbert Johnson is currently closed for a complete refurbishing, and the offices are next to impossible to reach due to the work. When reached, they WERE quoted as saying it's doubtful the Poet will be available from this shop once the work is completed. :shock:

Anyone in England able to confirm this report?

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That doesn't sound so good.... Is this a possible sign of HJ outsourcing their hats?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It seems like the dots are beginning to connect from things we've heard in the past, doesn't it? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That sort of complete refub normally means some one has bought them out.

:(
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Spielberg has done some shopping;) 8)
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I wonder if whoever called asked specificly about the "Poet" or the "Indy hat"? I think they had pretty much already done away with the Poet as a separate hat per se.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The 'Poet' was specifically stated, so you have a point.

Regards! Michaelson
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Swaine Adeney Brigg Flagship Store Refurbishment

The St. James’s Street store will be closing on Friday 17th February for a complete refit. The new look store is due to reopen on Monday 20th March 2006. You can still enjoy the Swaine Adeney shopping experience Monday to Friday at the 67 Fleet Street Store while the building work is undertaken.
From their website.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

The new look store is due to reopen on Monday 20th March 2006.
WOW! That's even longer than my source told me with end of April... It was however confirmed that the Indy Fedora WILL be available after the refit.

Regards,

Marc
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Seems like a desperate attempt to get rid of thousands of indy fans to me... or at least a pause!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Marc wrote:
The new look store is due to reopen on Monday 20th March 2006.
WOW! That's even longer than my source told me with end of April... It was however confirmed that the Indy Fedora WILL be available after the refit.

Regards,

Marc
This could be a good thing... maybe we can get some AdventureBilts in Indy 4 and have a good looking fedora again.

Mike
saxophone jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

H J supposedly closed

Post by saxophone jones »

Hi. I thought I'd better post something as I effectively kicked this one off with my email. I live about 250 miles from London and spent several days trying to reach HJ via phone. I finally rang their military branch and was redirected. The guy who I finally got to wasn't very well informed but was very vague on the future of "the Indiana Jones Hat" ..His words. I thought it was pretty inefficient to leave a phone line to a top class shop active but with no redirect or message about refurbishing or reopening date. Anyway, I've ordered an AB instead. I looks to be a better product, the proprieter could not have been quicker, more helpful or more interested and (including the Fedora lounge members discount and potage to the UK) it's still cheaper than the HJ!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Hi. I thought I'd better post something as I effectively kicked this one off with my email. I live about 250 miles from London and spent several days trying to reach HJ via phone. I finally rang their military branch and was redirected. The guy who I finally got to wasn't very well informed but was very vague on the future of "the Indiana Jones Hat" ..His words. I thought it was pretty inefficient to leave a phone line to a top class shop active but with no redirect or message about refurbishing or reopening date. Anyway, I've ordered an AB instead. I looks to be a better product, the proprieter could not have been quicker, more helpful or more interested and (including the Fedora lounge members discount and potage to the UK) it's still cheaper than the HJ!
you will just love the Ab when you get. I have both the HJ and the AB. The Ab wins hands down in everyway.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

*message deleted by the author*
Last edited by MK on Sat May 24, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raindog
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raindog »

After all the stuff I've read on this site about HJ I've come to the conclusion that they really aren't interested in producing 'The Hat'.
Their site is mainly pushing the overpriced 'quality goods to the discerning upper class gent and lady' items.
Their credo might be "Why should we have all the trouble producing these hats, when we can flog a leather briefcase for a load more cash and no comebacks".
I imagine they are a bit sniffy about dealing with fans too......

Jeff.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

My conclusion on HJ is this. At one time they were a great hat company. Their fine hats were sold all over the world, at the finer stores. Just like Stetson, when the company changed hands, the quality of the hats changed, for the worse. What they are producing now is an insult to their heritage. What Stetson is producing now, is an insult to the name Stetson. If you want a great HJ, watch for the vintage HJs on ebay. Some of those come with the Poet block, and the materials, and workmanship are great!! Fedora
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

Does the Fleet Street store carry the Indiana Jones hat?
I'm going later this month and my friend wants to buy an indy hat.

ray
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

raindog wrote:After all the stuff I've read on this site about HJ I've come to the conclusion that they really aren't interested in producing 'The Hat'.
Their site is mainly pushing the overpriced 'quality goods to the discerning upper class gent and lady' items.
Their credo might be "Why should we have all the trouble producing these hats, when we can flog a leather briefcase for a load more cash and no comebacks".
I imagine they are a bit sniffy about dealing with fans too......
There was a member here who went into Herbert Johnson and pretty much pretended to be interested in anything but an Indy hat. From the way I understand it, he was treated nicely, because he didn't identify himself as an Indy fan. If that's what I have to do to be treated nicely there, then forget about it.

Personally, even if they were to put the poet block back in stock, and have THE hat (insert what they have to do to get that look here), I still probably wouldn't buy from them.

Fedora, would you re-block a vintage HJ?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Fedora, would you re-block a vintage HJ?

Absolutely! I love working on vintage hats, and the HJ is no exception. Remember, at one time, HJ was a very fine company who make outstanding hats. That is their history. But, you see the same difference in quality in other old brands. If hats suddenly came back into vogue, like it was in the early and mid 20th century, even HJ and Stetson would get back on the quality bandwagon. They would have to do so. Fedora