LC or Raiders?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

LC or Raiders?

Post by Modern Jones »

Hi everyone;

I have a big question. I have my current AB and I love it. I'm thinking of definately getting another with the newer felt.

With the height of the crown and the width of the brim, does the hat in these pictures hat have Last Crusade proportions? Should I rebash this for LC and get a taller crown and wider brim for the next hat?

After seeing Kaleponi Craig's and a few others, I think I need a taller crown (for a deeper center dent) and more brim to get the ROTLA look.

Anyone with a keen eye, throw some input in there, please!?

I know these pics are from another thread, I'll post newer/different ones.
This downward angle reminds me of the tank chase when Indy was wrestling on top of the tank for some reason.
This side shot reminds me of Indy and his dad on the motorcycle and the junction of the road after escaping the castle. Indy turns to his dad.
Image[/img]
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

I think You got a great looking hat there!!

But I think it´s to tall for LC-style - it fits the Raiders style perfect
(and it looks good on You).

...some may desagree - those stovepipe-dudes :wink:

Best regards

JAN
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Definitely to tall for LC.

Regard! Michaelson
IndyRich
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyRich »

I agree with Michaelson and Jan. The hat that you’ve got now is too tall for the LC look, but is spot on for raiders.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Hmmm... I wouldn't say it's too tall! Maybe you should just bash it to a LC(deeper center dent in the front=less tall!!!) and see how it appears!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Modern, my friend,
That hat is dead on Raiders. The crown height and brim shape is perfect.
For some reason, on the side view, the crown looks shorter, but on the rest of the photos it is perfectly Raiders.

I hope Tone checks in. He is great at proportions, and always has an intelligent opinion on these matters.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Modern,

I have voiced my opinion of that Fedora before. That is the BEST Raiders Fedora I have seen. Oh man that color :!:

I do have 3 questions for you.

1.) What size is it?
2.) What is your address?
3.) When will that hat be home alone?

Just kidding :wink:
Cheers,
G-MANN
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

G-MANN wrote: I do have 3 questions for you.

1.) What size is it?
2.) What is your address?
3.) When will that hat be home alone?

Just kidding :wink:
Cheers,
G-MANN
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh my :lol: :lol: :lol:

Modern, it looks SOOOOOOOOOO raiders to me... one of the best around here!
I suggest you something, don't look at you wearing your hat in the mirror too much because from that angle you never see how good the hat looks! Trust me. Only judge from pics and ... listen to us! lol we wouldnt lie!
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

That lid is awesome, but it's Raiders, not LC. I wouldn't change a thing!...KC
marco polo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by marco polo »

great looking hat ! :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indiana_Tone wrote:Hemingway Jones, the calibre of your character never ceases to amaze me. A comment like that from someone so attuned to style is quite the compliment. Thank you, my friend.
I guess now's not the time to tell him you still sleep in your Superman pajamas, eh, Hemingway? :lol: :wink:

That is indeed one fine looking hat. Wear it proud!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Indiana_Tone wrote:Hemingway Jones, the calibre of your character never ceases to amaze me. A comment like that from someone so attuned to style is quite the compliment. Thank you, my friend.
I guess now's not the time to tell him you still sleep in your Superman pajamas, eh, Hemingway? :lol: :wink:

That is indeed one fine looking hat. Wear it proud!
Nothing more stylish than Underoos, my friend. :wink: :lol:

Thanks for your nice comments Tone. :D
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

I'll give it a shot here. (Before I do, Modern Jones, let me just say that yours is one of the first A/Bs that got me hooked on the A/B to begin with.)

Undeniably, (as the general consensus has proven) that hat is Raiders through and through. It's just a bit too full at the sides is all. That crown height looks perfect! I'm thinking what might be buggin you is; either the hat has room under the crown and fits a little loosely, or the bash just needs to be adjusted. You have a very angular chin - in a good way - topped off by a somewhat rounded version of the fedora. I'm speaking specifically about the area immediately above the ribbon.

A more narrow slope here would look pretty good. Direct lines versus curves. I think if you were to push in the sides above the ribbon (as if going for the reverse taper look) that might change the perspective a good deal. Pressing the left/right dents below the camel humps (don't know the term for those) in a bit further will also give a more angular look to the front of the bash, too.

Attached are modified interpretations of your hat with the sides pushed inward a bit. That's all I can see that might be eluding you in terms of the Raider's fedora "feel" you may be wanting. Of course, I leave the real advice to the experts here. I do agree with everyone here that that is absolutely a Raiders crown. :D (My favorite, too.) Might try a size down, a rebash, or just keep the fedora as is. Looks good right now. I see an angular chin that would be well complimented by an angular bash. (And I am married, folks.) :lol:

ImageImage

This area.
Oooohhhhh my head! You must have the TOD doll when you "photoshopped" me!!! :lol:

Hey Tone, I think that you nailed it on the "head"! (Ok, enough of the bad puns.) I'm going to try to use Fedoras water trick and take the sides in to get a more pronounced mushroom effect.

This is one of those instances where some of us keep tweaking. And Tone, my angular chin and I are married too! :lol:

G-MANN, I'll find the specs on this lid and post this weekend. But I seem to remember getting the exact Raiders specs, head size and all. And you can steal mine, while I'm at Michaelsons house taking his!

Hem, Bink and all thanks for the input. We need a Summit where all th ABs, vintage, etc. can be compared.

MJ
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

IMHO, if you get a higher crown than what is pictured, you may start to look silly. I think you need to bring the back down a bit and that will open up the channel for you a little more. It's just me, but I don't think you need another hat when you can simply rebash this one and then rebash it again whenever you like. Your hat is fine.
The way I see it is that there are only two main differences in any of these hats besides crown height and brim width. 1). One is made from rabbit, the other beaver. 2). The bashes.
All of these are made to bash whether Steve bashes them for you or sends them unbashed. After all, they all come from the same block shape, right? :wink: