Pics* My Distressed FS Chrome Goat- Metallic Shine *Pics

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Science O' Rubbish
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Pics* My Distressed FS Chrome Goat- Metallic Shine *Pics

Post by Science O' Rubbish »

I've spent a great deal of time distressing my FS Chrome Goat and am pleased with the results overall, but it appears very metallic now- literally, a shiny looking chrome. Now I understand where the jacket got its name- apparently from the world's only source of metal goats. If anyone has come across this problem, I could definately use some advice. If I can get this thing looking brown again, rather than silver, I think it will turn out to be one of the best distressing jobs I've come across. I'm not sure if it would be best to add a brown coating with Pecard's or the like, or if using a method for dulling the metalic shine would be better. I'm so close, yet so far...
Last edited by Science O' Rubbish on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science O' Rubbish
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Pictures

Outdoors the metallic look is noticable, while indoors it's less pronounced. Here are some pics of where I'm at thus far...

Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Probably has something to do with the raw hide color underneath the finish. Actually, I wouldn't touch it - I thinks its fine as is. That's one of the better distress jobs I've seen - very uniform as if the jacket has aged naturally with SOME areas of highlighted distressing. :tup:
rikitiki
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rikitiki »

I would call it a graphite look, like as if graphite powder were rubbed into it. My FS seal brown goat has a slight bit of that grayish graphite look. I used Pecards Brown and that got rid of it.
Science O' Rubbish
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

Have you tried rubbing it with alcohol like Methylated Spirits ??