Repairing a scuff

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Repairing a scuff

Post by Havana »

Any advice on repairing a minor scuff? I brushed up against something and took a little bit of the color off of my authetic brown lambskin. The leather isn't damaged at all and I would like to restore the color. I thought of using shoe polish on a rag but I can't seem to find any of comparable color. Any thoughts?
HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by HigHurtenflurst »

An Indiana Jones style jacket without scuffs?! Why did you get one in the first place? :wink:
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Try mixing a bit of black and brown together until you match the color you want.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Good question, HigHurtenflurst. I actually have two. This one is suppose to be my "nice" one. The other is well scuffed.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Try hitting it with some pecards...it seems to fix everythign leather-related.

In fact, I'm pretty sure if you put a cow into a very large tub of pecards, you can remove it 48 hours later and have a screen accurate wested.

Seriously, it's great stuff ;)

Cheers
Craig
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Farnham54 wrote:I'm pretty sure if you put a cow into a very large tub of pecards, you can remove it 48 hours later and have a screen accurate wested.
Like in Jurassic Park?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Brown Pecards, if regular Pecards doesn't just darken the leather enough. I.e., if you lost the entire dark finish.
pecard.com wrote:Pecard Weatherproof Dressing - Brown Tint

Conditions, weatherproofs smooth leathers. Re-colors minor abrasions and rejuvenates surfaces. Use on leather that needs its original color touched up.
;)
J

P.S....
VP wrote:
Farnham54 wrote:I'm pretty sure if you put a cow into a very large tub of pecards, you can remove it 48 hours later and have a screen accurate wested.
Like in Jurassic Park?
Yeah, but I think he meant the other way around...if I'm following the analogy as written, this would be like putting a DINOSAUR in a tub of Pecards and ending up w/ a mosquito in a piece of amber. :-s
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Indiana Jerry wrote:P.S....
VP wrote:
Like in Jurassic Park?
Yeah, but I think he meant the other way around...if I'm following the analogy as written, this would be like putting a DINOSAUR in a tub of Pecards and ending up w/ a mosquito in a piece of amber. :-s
Or maybe more like putting a cow in Pecard, removing it 48 hours later and ending up with a cow tick in a piece of bubblegum... oh, I don't know...
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I have fixed several scuffs, some serious, with plain old brown shoe polish. The color match didn't seem to matter; it blended into the jacket. The use of polish gave it a bit of depth and texture.

Most seriously, I caught the bulge my keys made on a wooden railing at Pier 39 in San Francisco. I went to the pharmacy and bought Crazy Glue and brown shoe polish. The Crazy Glue was used to reattach a leather flake the size of a dime that had peeled away and was tenuously attached. A dab of Crazy Glue was an easy fix for that. The polish blended it back in.

Perhaps, like you, I am prolonging the adolescence of my jacket, if you will; it will be old and wrinkled soon enough!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Scandinavia Jones wrote:Or maybe more like putting a cow in Pecard, removing it 48 hours later and ending up with a cow tick in a piece of bubblegum... oh, I don't know...
:shock:

I defer to you, Sensei! Your mad science is greater than mine! 8)
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Well, I found some brown liquid shoe polish that seemed to do the trick. I applied it with a cloth and was able to cover the scuff and blend the edges of the repair into the jacket with a little bit of buffing. As stated above, the color matching didn't seem to be a big deal as it blended well into the jacket. Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Be sure to put a good coating of Pecard's over your 'fix', Havana. That will keep the polish from running should you get caught in a downpour, as it sometimes will. Liquid shoe polish is water soluable.

That's why I never use it or advise anyone using it myself.

Regards! Michaelson
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Yikes!
I'll be sure and to do that ASAP.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's not a barn burner...You'll have to get caught in a frog strangler of a rain storm, but it will release. Just put some Pecards on when you get a chance, that's all. :D

Regards! Michaelson
HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by HigHurtenflurst »

Havana wrote:Good question, HigHurtenflurst. I actually have two. This one is suppose to be my "nice" one. The other is well scuffed.
I've been wanting to get another one too, for exactly the same reason. Although, a nagging inner voice tells me that I would probably be too tempted to re-over-distress my original, already distressed one. It was a lot of fun!
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

A Wested without a scuff ?!?? What..that's like unheard of...