AB in South America

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

AB in South America

Post by Fedora »

Just got these pics in from South America. I made two hats for this trip. They are doing some sort of documentary. Needless to say, these hats have been through some rough stuff. Just look at how distressed they are, and I just made them last month!! http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/ab_ ... rica5.html

More can be found on their site. http://homepage.mac.com/trickmonkey/pig ... index.html
regards, Fedora
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Wow, those are some absolutely stunning photos! Yes, thats right, those are photos, not pics. :wink:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Great pics buddy!

Thats what those hats are made for.

Regards,

Marc
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Fantastic! It's great seeing these hats in action!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Awesome pictures and your hats look fantastic. It makes me want to get out there! Awesome!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thats what those hats are made for.

Yep, I agree Marc. I just love seeing our hats in the open air, especially when you are on an adventure!! :D These folks here told me that the hats would get really beat up, and it sure looks like it. The wide ribboned one was the YIJ fedora, but hard to tell now except for the ribbon. The hat the lady is wearing was a full fledged Raiders version, but it looks like she personalized it. They are going to send me a copy of the documentary film they are making, with Adventurebilt listed in the credits. Guess, that will be a keeper!! :lol: Thanks!! Fedora
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Steve those hats look nice. I'd even say that the Adventurebilt looks better the more you beat it up! By any chance is that fellow a member of COW or a gearhead? In a couple of photos I thought I spotted a MKVII. It's always nice to see the AB in its native habitat!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah, that is what I like about good beaver felt. It just ages so well, and looks better with time. Just gets softer and mellower. And, you can reblock it many, many times. It will not disintergrate. Takes a lickin', and keeps on tickin' :lol: Fedora
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Great to see another Adventurebilt out on an adventure!...KC
Indiana_Zach
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Zach »

Great pic's I like them, where were you in south america?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Steve wasn't, those pictures are of some of his customers wearing hats he's made whilst out in South America. :)
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

That guy is definitely a gearhead. He mentions in the journals that he got some whip cracking in, that is almost certainly a MKVII he's got, he's replaced the bag strap with a screen accurate one (buckle looks good too) and he might be wearing a screen accurate shirt, it defnitely has the pleats on the pockets.

http://homepage.mac.com/trickmonkey/pig ... -full.html

My guess is he's one of the many lurkers who gleans what he can from the awesome resource that is COW... he ordered 2 ABs didn't he?

I envy those two to an almost unhealthy extent... they're living my dream.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Well, Steve's site also comes up on internet search engines, and usually in the first few hits. So the fellow could have just searched out Indiana Jones Fedora on Google or some such, and been linked to Steve. However, it's a nicer thought to think that they're lurkers here, and got their info from us. :wink:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

it's a nicer thought to think that they're lurkers here, and got their info from us.
I have sold more Abs to lurkers than members!! And I have made quite a few for us. :D Somtimes I try to entice them to join, just to receive the discount. Some say that they do, but I never follow up on it. I trust them.
envy those two to an almost unhealthy extent... they're living my dream
Yes, and mine as well. Boy, what I would not give to be that age again!! Don't waste it guys and gals. You only live once, and ain't nobody gonna live forever. Cram in as much as you can!! Getting old ain't all its cracked up to be! :wink: Fedora
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

They have been in some of the same places I was in a few weeks ago in Peru. It would have been fun to run into another guy wearing an AB!...KC
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Fedora wrote:The hat the lady is wearing was a full fledged Raiders version, but it looks like she personalized it.
I know she personalized the heck out of it, but somehow it just works on her.

Thanks for sharing, Steve. ;)
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

!

Post by Obiwampa »

Say What? Members get a discount on AB's? Did I hear right? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes. Contact Fedora for details.

Regards! Michaelson
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: !

Post by Indy_Railok »

Obiwampa wrote:Say What? Members get a discount on AB's? Did I hear right? :-k
I was suprise the first time i heard it too. :wink: You heard right, Discount on AB's.
Antone
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: !

Post by Antone »

Obiwampa wrote:Say What? Members get a discount on AB's? Did I hear right? :-k
As if it wasn't a great enough deal at the regular price to begin with!

I felt a great disturbance...as if a dozen people's willpower all gave out at once...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh. Good. I thought my stomach was growling again! #-o :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

IndianaGuybrush wrote:...and he might be wearing a screen accurate shirt, it defnitely has the pleats on the pockets.
He's wearing a Magnoli Clothiers shirt! ;) And... he's recording his adventures in a Magnoli diary. It looks like Fedora and I will be appearing in the credits together. :clap:

Kind regards,
Indy
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

The hat the gentleman is wearing has a YIJC feel to it, IMO, while the young lady has turned hers into a reverse pork-pie look. Both hats look smashing if I do say so myself, and I hope to see them wear them on many other adventures!!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

...and I'll be in the credits as the guy who stole their wallets! :lol: I think it's great that our wonderful vendors get some good recognition. :wink:

bink
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

binkmeisterRick wrote:...and I'll be in the credits as the guy who stole their wallets! :lol:
"Load lightened by BinkmeisterRick"
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

Those photos are awesome! I really envy those guys, it looks like they are very adventureous. The AB looks great in the pics, and it is neat to see one in those types of environments.

8)
indijana
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indijana »

Hi gang!

Thanks for all of your comments about our website. We're having a blast! You can also check out a video I cut together a few days ago of our horse ride through Cordillera Negra near Huaraz, Peru.

The photos are all taken by Jana and she thanks all of you for your kind words. She's a natural. And, believe me, she makes everything her own! That hat has been shoved into every bag and tiny space imagineable and it looks great! Mine is indeed a Young Indy model and I love it. I love the old world feel that the wider band gives it. It has a bit of a "floppier" look, too. I'll be ordering a Raiders model when I get back. Best hat I've ever owned, hands down!

The bag is indeed an MKVII and the shirt, as Mr. Magnoli pointed out, is one of his fine creations. Easily one of my favorite shirts and it fits beautifully. I can't recommend Steve and Indy's items enough. They are the best! And, yes, Indy, you'll definitely get a mention in the credits.

We are shooting a lot of video to piece together into what we can only describe as an improvisational documentary. We didn't come here with an angle in mind, but rather hoping it will present itself to us. It's risky and, admittedly, I'm not sure what we've got at this point.
What I do know, however, is that I'm having a #### of an adventure here and there are more to come!

We're in Bolivia now (near where Butch & Sundance bit the dust) with about 2 weeks to go. I hate to see it end.
Turkey and India will be next, with Africa to follow, I think.

Thanks again, guys!

travis
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You're living our dreams. Keep us in the loop!

High regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Welcome to COW Travis! Your a very lucky man to be able to do what your doing! :tup:
indijana
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indijana »

I couldn't agree more.
I am very lucky to be doing this and I hope the luck continues.

Take Steve's advice and do these things while you can! South America's a great place to start as it's quite cheap here.

You could stay in a hotel for a month in Bolivia for about $50-$60 and travel all over the place!

When we arrived at the border of Bolivia from Peru, immigration was closed, so we just crossed anyway. Good times!
We returned in the morning to get our Passports stamped and ended up having to bribe the officers as they figured out we had snuck in the night before.

And I snuck over the border in my AB!

travis
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, if push comes to shove, you could play the old 'Bogart' part and try to bum change off of tourists to 'help a fellow U.S. citizen in need'. You have the hat for the attempt!! :D :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Welcome, Travis! Your pictures on the web are amazing! I'm jealous! I think it's great you're having such a fantastic adventure. Sieze the day! ...or the idol, whichever comes first. :wink:

bink
indijana
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indijana »

I might give it a try, Michaelson! Nobody cooler than Bogey.

Hey, Fedora, Jana just pointed out to me that your photo site, Fotki, is the Czech word for photo. She's from Prague, and it got me wondering if you're also Czech.
Or is it just a coincidence?

t.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Considering Fedora is in Mississippi, that would be one interesting coincidence!!! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Just a coinkidink. I use it, too, to host photos. It's a freebie a number of us use around here. :wink:

bink
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

indijana wrote: ... ended up having to bribe the officers as they figured out we had snuck in the night before.

And I snuck over the border in my AB!

travis
You mean there's another way to travel? ;)
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

indijana! Watch out with these pics, brother - they can influence a few people's life. Absolutely stunning.

By the way - the word "Fotki" is used in Polish for "pictures", too :)

Cheers,

:junior: Raider
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Hey Travis & Jana,

Glad to see you've come to join us! Love the pictures, and can't wait to see everything when it's all done. Michaelson said it, you are living our dreams! Welcome to COW, both of ya! :)
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Wow that some very nice hats! :clap: But.... well... you should see my Akubra and I even wasn#t in South America! :roll: :wink: