Natural tan is not too light

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Natural tan is not too light

Post by whiskyman »

Some folks seem to think natural tan is too light to look screen accurate even though david Morgan states all the whips used by Indy were natural tan. Some folks think it's better to order a colour like whisky or saddle tan for that "aged" look because it'll take years for a natural tan whip to get the "Indy look"

For these folks, here are some shots from Raiders and the making of Raiders. Yes, the whips have darkened a bit - but not actually all that much. My natural tan whips have usually gained this colour within a couple of months.

Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I'll agree with that. I've never gotten the idea of buying a dark brown whip to get the Raiders color. I've had the same experience as you, my roohide whip darkened quite a bit with just the first application of leather conditioner. And the one thing you will get ONLY from a naturally darkened 'natural tan' whip.... that slight orange-ish color that so characterizes the Raiders whip!
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Good observation. I was worried that my 8 foot DM was to light, but seeing your Raiders grabs clears up that matter. :D :D
Thanks
-K
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

K, don't even worry about it. Mine almost looked white when I first got it. I took some pictures of it right away and posted them. Someone asked if it wasn't too light a color. I said that it would darken up with time and use and it has. It almost looks the color of the whip in Raiders already.

I think mine may have even been a tad lighter color than yours. But yours is very typical of what a new whip will look like. It will be a Raiders clone before too long.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I agree with BJ. The natural tan doesn't take years to turn that color as seen in those screen grabs. Besides if you order the darker brown it will turn black over a few years time. Which is not Raiders.

In addition, those Raiders whips belonged to Glenn Randall Jr. He had the whips for quite some time. They were all ordered in natural tan.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

I wont worry anymore Bufflehead. The funny thing it that sometimes I forget to check the movies for reference because all the answers seems to be her on COW.
Lately I've run in to a lot of dark whip pictures here in this forum and somehow that messed up my recollection of the real whip color.
I am however VERY pleased with the DM and it is darker now compared to the pictures I took when it arrived.
Sergi, hearing that the whip brown will turn black is reassuring, I made the right choice!

Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Did they use natural tan whips also in TOD and LC? Because they look darker than the ROTLA whip?
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Last Crusader wrote:Did they use natural tan whips also in TOD and LC? Because they look darker than the ROTLA whip?
Yes, EVERYTHING was ordered natural tan. David Morgan assured me that awhile ago. It all depends on lighting, color, age, how much they have been in the sun.
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Thank you, Sergei~ I hope that ends this thread.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Sergei wrote:
Last Crusader wrote:Did they use natural tan whips also in TOD and LC? Because they look darker than the ROTLA whip?
Yes, EVERYTHING was ordered natural tan. David Morgan assured me that awhile ago. It all depends on lighting, color, age, how much they have been in the sun.

So does exposing the natural tan to sunlight darken the whip faster or does it just do it no matter where I have it?
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

The idol grab cave whip is definetely lighter. (because it was near beinging of shooting I think, and not used much yet) Indy also looses that whip to Beloc. Now wether they used that whip any more or not during shooting I don't know. The Cairo whip seems almost redish in it's color change/distressing.

Personally, I got a Nolan "greasy whisky" which is very dark and I do wish it was lighter, but it was a good deal and much better than the ebay whip I had.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

BTW, can some post pictures of their natural tan whips (before/after where ever it may be in it's color)
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I've got pics of about 4 natural Morgans in different stages of color change, though the site I use for pic hosting isn't too user friendly. If someone will host them for me, I'll email them and then that someone can post them.

-Adam
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Hey Doc,

Here is a link to a thread that has some pictures of my David Morgan when it was brand new. Someone even posted that they thought the color was a little light. It is darker than that, now. You can see a picture of it recently in the Saturday Queen Mary thread. It is the whip that I am doing a horizontal crack with in that thread. It is not a close up shot, but I think that you can tell that it is darker now.

viewtopic.php?t=13516
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

See above for Bufflehead's post with several Brand New, fresh from the maker shots! :)
I'm hosting those pics for Adam, so here they are. Some DM's that have gotten some use over the years.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

It is cool to see how the color of the natural tan whip changes over time. I was used to seeing DMs that were older that belonged to others. It was kind of a shock when I received mine and saw how light it was. But, I like all the different shades that the roo hide goes through over time. They all look good.

After I received mine, I saw someone else's brand new DM and so I was not as surprised. It looked just like mine when it was brand new. The natural tan does take on some beautiful hues.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

I have a Natrual Tan Winrich (8' 12 Plait).

At first when I got it, it was VERY light tan, and not really screen-accurate color. However, I did like the looks of the color and that's why I purchased the natural tan. I've had it for about a year now, and believe me, it looks VERY screen accurate now. Dirt marks, scratches, and it's a couple shades darker.