pics of my new AB

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

pics of my new AB

Post by slowdevil »

I've had my AB for about a month now, and I wanted to share with you guys since it was your praise for Fedora and your raving about his hat that led me to him, and now I have some raving of my own to do.
First, let give give a little praise to Steve Delk for his customer service. It was my own ignorance about hats and sizing that stuck me with an Indy hat by a different maker that really didn't fit well or look good on me. I contacted Steve and told him about it, showed him pictures, gave measurements and we kinda used that hat hat as what not do to. I was afraid that this was all going to be a terrible bother to him and that he surely would rather just take my order, make the hat, and be done. I didn't want to be some nit-picky, whiny customer, but at the same time I didn't want to end up with another less-than-stellar hat. Well, Steve assured me this was not the case at all. He said I was no bother and that my $250 bought me all the time neccessary to get a hat on my head that I would be absolutley happy with. And I think we succeeded.
My long-oval Indy fedora wasn't perfect right out of the box. I had to tweak it a little to get it like I wanted and what I thought would look best on me. The off-center pinch and top dent weren't working for me, so I popped them out and made them semmetrical and also deeper. The brim was pretty flat and floppy so I took some time to give it some curl on the sides and a strong turndown in the front. I found the soft beaver felt reacted well to a little light steaming to shape. If I had one complaint, it would be that I asked for my initials stamped into the sweatband – JVR. I got JR. I really like the V. Not really worth complaining about, though.
As for the size, when I first tried on the hat it dropped all the way to my ears. I assumed Steve was allowing room for shrinking but that seemed like an awful lot. Now I have a couple pieces of foam in the back of the sweatband and have already had to switch one out for a smaller piece because the hat had in fact gotten tighter. Time will tell if it will eventually shrink enough that I don't need any inserts, but for now it's a very comfortable, snug fit and the long-oval shape is perfect for my head. Even Wilma's leftover winds didn't knock it off my head, though I did pull it down to my ears just to be sure. I can pick this hat up and put it on my head and it fits perfectly and comfortably every time without needing to check a mirror or anything to see if it looks good. This is the hat I've wanted most of my life. Thank you Steve for this beauty, and thanks to all of you on this list who turned me on to Adventurebuilt.

Justin

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You are a man after my own heart, slowdevil. I, too, have that 'long oval' head shape problem, and find I have to push the top dent deeper to make my hats fits as well, as I'm not a fan of the hat on my ears either. I don't use inserts, though, and found the deeper top dents seems to lift it high enough to eliminate the problem. That said, Steve has been working on my hats for over a decade now (can it be THAT LONG!!! :shock: ), and is quite 'comfortable' in working with folks with heads like ours.

Looks GREAT! Glad to know I'm not the 'Lone Ranger' anymore. :D :wink:

High regards! Michaelson
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Ten years?? You've been friends since before Indyfan forum. That is is a while back.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hummm. The only Indyfan vaults I could find were back to 97, and we knew each other BEFORE it was called Indyfan in it's original configuration....so it must be at least 8 to 9 years. :roll:

Either way, it's been a while! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm glad you're happy with your AB, slowdevil! I'd love to see your pics, but the links aren't working for some reason. :?

bink
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Great looking AB, Slowdevil. :D
It's nice that you were able to reshape it to your liking.
I like the big swoop and very pronounced camel humps.

Congratulations!

P.S.> Bink: Just click and drag the URL & paste it into address line.
The pics are connected so you only have to do this once.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

congrats on your Adventurebilt and thatnks for sharing those pics with us. Steve has the best customer service I know of.
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Looks good Slowdevil. :tup: Welcome to the AB club. 8)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Congrats slowdevil,
Your Adventurebilt looks great! 8)
Best Regards,
Joe
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I'm glad you're happy with your AB, slowdevil! I'd love to see your pics, but the links aren't working for some reason. :?

bink
Ah, those are the funky links, which work when cut/pasted into a browser, but not between img tags.

That's a sweet shape, slowdevil. Nice crown, nice front dents. A VERY nice job. How many hats will reshape so nicely they look like they CAME that way? ;)
Michaelson wrote:Glad to know I'm not the 'Lone Ranger' anymore. :D :wink:
Ah...I got one of those funky melons too. 7 3/8, long oval. (Maybe a hair smaller, or maybe a hair rounder...not too sure. The Black & Decker workbench says my head is a long oval. #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Ah...I got one of those funky melons too. 7 3/8, long oval. (Maybe a hair smaller, or maybe a hair rounder...not too sure. The Black & Decker workbench says my head is a long oval. #-o
You DO, eh? Hummm :-k

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Indiana Jerry wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:I'm glad you're happy with your AB, slowdevil! I'd love to see your pics, but the links aren't working for some reason. :?

bink
Ah, those are the funky links, which work when cut/pasted into a browser, but not between img tags.
Got it! Yep, that's one finne fedora! :wink:

bink
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Michaelson wrote:
Indiana Jerry wrote:Ah...I got one of those funky melons too. 7 3/8, long oval. (Maybe a hair smaller, or maybe a hair rounder...not too sure. The Black & Decker workbench says my head is a long oval. #-o
You DO, eh? Hummm :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Oh, shoot, now I did it...please tell me all the scoundrels don't have exactly the same hat size, or I WILL have to change the name in my sweatband. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Don't worry, Jerry, I had my head sanded down to a 7 1/4 because I wanted to be different than you guys. :wink:

bink
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

](*,) Here, let me TURN THAT FOR YOU... :twisted:
:wink: