Tanning processes

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Walker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Tanning processes

Post by Walker »

I probably seem like the man of a thousand questions, but I have just one more :roll: . Honestly. Can anyone describe the differences between vegetable tanning and the chrome process? I see that Wested uses the veg. tanning while other vendors use chrome. Is one better than the other?
Walker
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

In very simple terms the chrome tanning process uses chemicals found in salts, alum,etc... The advantage of chrome is that it is much shorter process. Vegetable tanning uses plant resources like vegetable bark. This method is far longer to acheive the same result of preservation.

The goal of the tanning process is to preserve the leather. Don't confuse tanning with the dyeing process. Just to be clear, the tanning process converts raw hide into leather. If the hide is not tanned it will putrify. The tanning process preserves that piece of hide. Some tanning processes, like that from a dark bark of a tree will change it to a darker brown. That's is called bark tanned (or veg).

But don't confuse tanning and dyeing. The dyeing process is separate. And that process is to change the leather color.

For a detailed explaination follow this link:
http://www.siegelofca.com/view_reference.asp?id=5

-Sergei
matei
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by matei »

Very nice answer! I was just wondering the same thing.

Do you know which method Wested uses?
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

Read and learn...

Walker wrote:
I see that Wested uses the veg. tanning while other vendors use chrome.

Edit: I stand corrected. Read Peters statement...

Best regards

JAN
Last edited by JAN on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

I think both ways of tanning are good for leathers for jackets, but veg. tanned is my first joyche to go for.
I think veg. tanned leather jackets get a very good "live look" in time. Although they are distressed, I'm much more temted to pronounce it "well worn"
Distressed chrome looks great, too, but never as fine as a veg. tanned jacket would look like.

well, it's at least what I prefer :wink:
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT WE DO NOT USE VEG TANNED SKINS ONLY CHROME TANNED
It is the more expensive chroming agent that seal the skin and makes it water repelant. Veg tanned skins are like blotting paper and absorb water and dirt and are used on jackets from places in north Africa where the climate is dry.
Easy test: Lick you finger lightly and put in the garment if it is veg tanned it will leave a mark chrome will not. Of course if the over enthusiastic COW distresser has taken off the sealed surface the same applies.
The writer is mistaken
Cheers
Peter
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

This was news to me as well, Peter. Thanks for clairfying. Regards! Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Whewww.... I thought Peter used chrome as well. Brand new veg tanned leather is much stiffer to touch. I don't recall any of Wested leather having that stiff feel. But the payoff is that veg tanned leather really smooths out over time. Chrome leather is soft, right out of the factory. FS used to offer veg tanned expo's but stopped. On their military jackets, the historical versions, they offer horse and goat in veg and chrome. And I tell you, the old guys go nuts over the veg tanned leather. I guess you have to patient...
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

It’s nice to hear Peter himself clear up this apparent misconception. Now, if Peter with all of his expertise could just provide an explanation of what he believes is behind the persistent notion that adding an extra inch to the front of the jacket will prevent the front from riding up as so many here have suggested, and why, if true, isn’t it incorporated into the design of the jacket. Is it necessary to make a special request for this to be done or is it merely something that is solely rooted in some unrecognized anomaly in the physique of the individual wearing it?

I’m sure Peter’s response would be most beneficial to all here as well as possibly being beneficial to himself by not having to reply to inquires or requests on an individual bases to all those on the forum considering the purchase of their new Wested jacket.