An Adventurebilt in Mexico

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

An Adventurebilt in Mexico

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

My wife and I were in San Miguel de Allende this weekend. It was my Adventurebilt's first trip. Here are a few pics.

With Sadie, my father in law's dog...

http://public.fotki.com/craigthompson/h ... n7598.html

In San Miguel...

http://public.fotki.com/craigthompson/h ... n7601.html

Amy and me in Guanajuato...

http://public.fotki.com/craigthompson/h ... n7601.html

Having a limonada in a Guanajuato square...

http://public.fotki.com/craigthompson/h ... n7604.html
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Great pictures K-Man! It is always great to see an Adventurebilt in the field. It certainly looks like you had some fun down there. I'll be in Cozumel and Costa de Mayo this December, so I am looking forward to that.

BTW, your avatar has my favorite non-Raiders Indy hat picture. :wink:
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

A fedora seems to make people appear more worldly and well travelled, like they fit into a foreign environment naturally. Plus you look good in it too.
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by West Virginia Jones »

Great pictures. I especially like the one of you in your AB enjoying a limonada in a Guanajuato square. You wear it well. I can't wait to take my AB on its first adventure. Regards.
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

Great Pics and hat!
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Nice lid. The ABs seem to pop out of the box with character. :)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

lookin good craig 8) , looks like you had a great trip.
Best Regards,
Joe
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

Deval wrote:A fedora seems to make people appear more worldly and well travelled, like they fit into a foreign environment naturally. Plus you look good in it too.
I agree with that, I know what you mean. I'ts the true Traveller-adventurer look. 8) I can't wait to take mine on some real adventure. :)

The AB suits you Graig. I liked Bink's pics of his trip to Mexico to. 8)
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I got a lot of looks down there and a couple of "sombrero agradable"s (nice hat!). Next on the itinerary, it's off to Yosemite and then to Peru, where the real test of this adventure hat will be made.
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: An Adventurebilt in Mexico

Post by Spooky »

Great pics, Craig.
Never been to San Miguel de Allende.
What's it like?

Your hat looks great on you, Dude.

Best Regards,
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

San Miguel is a very nice place... a very charming, old colonial town. It's gotten a little too gringo-fied in the last few years, but it's still a lot of fun. Problem is, most of the restaurants and hotels have American prices. I had a margarita in a restaurant and it was $8! Real estate isn't all that much different then where I live, in the San Francisco Bay Area. The nearby town of Guanajuato, about an hour away, is much more 'real' Mexico, IMHO. Luckily, you can still find a few little restaurants that sell great tacos for 5 pesos or less. Or food stands along the street that sell tomales for 3 pesos. These places are where the locals eat.

My father in law has lived in San Miguel on and off for 40 years, so my wife has really seen the changes. It used to be a place where American artists would go to, starting in the 1930s, kind of like Santa Fe. The light in San Miguel is very special and the weather just about perfect. But, like Santa Fe, it was a victim of its own success. Now, instead of poor American artists looking for that wonderful San Miguel light for their paintings, you find mostly rich Texans coming down for 'the season' (nothing against Texans, this is just a fact). But the great thing is, San Miguel has lots of festivals. Almost every weekend there is something going on. I highly recommend going there, as long as you also go to somewhere like Guanajuato, Morelia or Oaxaca to see the real Mexico.
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Kaleponi Craig wrote:San Miguel is a very nice place... a very charming, old colonial town. It's gotten a little too gringo-fied in the last few years, but it's still a lot of fun. Problem is, most of the restaurants and hotels have American prices. I had a margarita in a restaurant and it was $8! Real estate isn't all that much different then where I live, in the San Francisco Bay Area. The nearby town of Guanajuato, about an hour away, is much more 'real' Mexico, IMHO. Luckily, you can still find a few little restaurants that sell great tacos for 5 pesos or less. Or food stands along the street that sell tomales for 3 pesos. These places are where the locals eat.

My father in law has lived in San Miguel on and off for 40 years, so my wife has really seen the changes. It used to be a place where American artists would go to, starting in the 1930s, kind of like Santa Fe. The light in San Miguel is very special and the weather just about perfect. But, like Santa Fe, it was a victim of its own success. Now, instead of poor American artists looking for that wonderful San Miguel light for their paintings, you find mostly rich Texans coming down for 'the season' (nothing against Texans, this is just a fact). But the great thing is, San Miguel has lots of festivals. Almost every weekend there is something going on. I highly recommend going there, as long as you also go to somewhere like Guanajuato, Morelia or Oaxaca to see the real Mexico.
Thanks for the travel details, Craig.
Interesting ... "the light?"

P.S.> San Miguel, Guanajuato, Morelia, and Oaxaca are now on my list of places to go ... with my AB :wink: :D

Best Regards,
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I love your AB Craig, it suits you very well! :)
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Spooky wrote: Thanks for the travel details, Craig.
Interesting ... "the light?"
Yes, like many places in the world, San Miguel has a special light (sunlight). Santa Fe has it, Venice has it and certainly Provence has it, as Van Gogh found out. That's why artists were attracted to San Miguel. Kind of hard to explain, but once you go there, you'll understand.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

Looking good Criag :)

I have to ask......do you know to what dimensions Steve cut your brim? :-k
Kevin_Kenobi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kevin_Kenobi »

Indy_Railok wrote:Great Pics and hat!

Likewise!! :)

Thanks for shareing them too. :) 8)
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Skippy wrote:Looking good Craig :)

I have to ask......do you know to what dimensions Steve cut your brim? :-k
Skippy, the front and back are 2 7/8ths and the sides are 2 5/8ths. The crown is just under 5 inches at the front....Kaleponi Craig
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

Thanks :) Explains why it looks so good IMO, as the brims on an Indy hat seem to look better for a 1/2" variation in the dimensional brim cut 8)