Acetone and sandpaper questions?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

howlingwind13
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Acetone and sandpaper questions?

Post by howlingwind13 »

I am awaiting my dark goatskin wested...I want to distress it my question is what doe the Acetone do? And how do you apply it?

Now on to the rough stuff what grit should I use as to not "F" it up in a bad way? while giving it that nice roughed up lived in look?

Thanks
mike
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Acetone will remove and/or shift dye on the surface of the jacket. It should be used sparingly. See here for my distressed dark brown goatskin:

viewtopic.php?t=13246

Wet a paper towel (damp, not dripping wet) with the acetone and rub in circular motions where you want the color removed. Don't rub too hard! The spot you're rubbing will appear darker at first -- let it dry while you rub another area. Be sure to do this either outside or in a well ventilated room, and wear rubber dish or stripping gloves.

Find a control area on your jacket (mine was the inside facing), and see how the acetone affects the dye. Each dye job varies, so you want to do this before applying the acetone anywhere else.

Another method I used was applying acetone with a q-tip to seams and edges before using sandpaper.

I would post more, but I'm terribly pressed for time. Hopefully someone will chime in about the sandpaper. Oh, and use the acetone before you sand anything.

Welcome to COW! :wink:
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

You might wanna take a look at this:

http://www.indianajones.dk/Webside/Bill ... jacket.htm

And don´t be afraid - the Wested will hold up to a serios distressing -
trust me :P

Best regards

JAN
howlingwind13
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

thanks

Post by howlingwind13 »

thanks guys looking forward to getting to work on the jacket.
mike
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Good luck, and remember to acetone first and sand later if needed. If you do it the other way around, acetone will move dye to the sanded areas and "fill" them... no way to get the dye out again.
AceTachyon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AceTachyon »

Another thread recommended 400 grit sandpaper. And I think someone else mentioned a Scotchbrite pad (did I read that right?)

I'm using 91% alcohol on my goat at the moment. Just small patches. I'll be picking up some acetone later on.